Joined Sep 2012
76 Posts
Question
A newby's question about Hinge Tape

Hi Guys,

I have two newby questions about hinge tape please:

1) How does it differ from ordinary tape, and

2) What is it's purpose.

I know that people put it on the hinges of control surfaces (such as ailerons), but I'm not sure why. Is it to decrease turbulence over the joint, or hold the parts together if the hinges break, etc? I'm also unsure how it's different to ordinary tape.

Thanks in Advance
adza is offline Find More Posts by adza
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2012, 04:44 PM
United States, NM, Las Cruces
Joined Jul 2012
510 Posts
It is used to reinforce the joint and will even hold the hinge together if the foam hinge (or other actual plastic hinge breaks). It tends to be a little stronger and clearer than regular tape. I use regular tape (3M clear gift tape I think it is called) because it is cheaper and seems to work just as well for I what I use it for. I just put it on the underside of the hinge, so you can't see it anyways.
erikc641 is offline Find More Posts by erikc641
Old Oct 16, 2012, 06:40 PM
USA, IL, Wheaton
Joined Oct 2010
463 Posts
For Park Flyers, the tape can replace the hinges and hold the surfaces in place. It also seals the hinge line to stop air flow through it that makes control action less efficient. Lots of flexible tapes can be used, with package sealing tape one favorite. I've had best luck with a medical tape from 3M called "Blenderm", which DuBro repackages as Park Flyer Hinging Tape.
DuPageJoe is offline Find More Posts by DuPageJoe
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 16, 2012, 06:47 PM
Finger Lakes Region, NY
Joined May 2008
349 Posts
post deleted.
Oldgzr is offline Find More Posts by Oldgzr
Last edited by Oldgzr; Oct 16, 2012 at 06:51 PM. Reason: DuPageJoe answered the question
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:06 PM
Joined Sep 2012
76 Posts
Thanks for the info guys!
adza is offline Find More Posts by adza
Old Oct 17, 2012, 02:47 AM
United States, MI, Monroe
Joined Jun 2009
1,911 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuPageJoe View Post
For Park Flyers, the tape can replace the hinges and hold the surfaces in place. It also seals the hinge line to stop air flow through it that makes control action less efficient. Lots of flexible tapes can be used, with package sealing tape one favorite. I've had best luck with a medical tape from 3M called "Blenderm", which DuBro repackages as Park Flyer Hinging Tape.
The blenderm is really good hinge tape, soft and flexible, but really durable with good adhesion, still holding up after a few years on my first T -28. Really would not want to use anything stiffer.
Tony K is offline Find More Posts by Tony K
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:59 AM
Novice in training
United States, NC, Statesville
Joined Aug 2011
603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony K View Post
The blenderm is really good hinge tape, soft and flexible, but really durable with good adhesion, still holding up after a few years on my first T -28. Really would not want to use anything stiffer.
I agree. I use it on the tail of my T28 since it has those weak hinges from factory. It seems to work very well. Like was said above you use it for hinges to replace or reinforce them on foam type planes. The packing tape works great for reinforcing other things like wing edges, bellies,etc... I have never used it for hinges though.
JoshB is offline Find More Posts by JoshB
Old Oct 18, 2012, 03:43 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,075 Posts
Regular packing tape will last at least 7 years - might last longer but I don't know yet.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Oct 18, 2012, 03:52 PM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,482 Posts
FWIW, no matter the tape used, I go over the hing tape with a covering iron turned up just enough so it softens the glue in the tape, and then use it to push the tape into the foam. I've had some pretty impressive crashes where the taped hing holds up just fine. And as it's a foamie, so does the plane

And some tapes are better than others... As some have mentioned Blenderm is great, but I picked up package of 2 large rolls for $4.00 of Walgreen's brand "Blenderm" and it works as well. I also found genuine 3M office tape to be far superior to the generic variates.
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:22 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
7,361 Posts
I have 2 areas of concern with tape :

a) Introduce paint into the equation and most tapes lift ... and fail. Whether you apply before painting or the worst is after !

b) I never had problem with this years ago when folding back a surface, apply tape, fold surface other way and apply tape other side .. now it seems as soon as I do that .. the surface opens up a gap that is too sloppy.

I prefer proper hinges or mylar strip ... tape to seal the hinge line and provide back-up .. and of course as another says - repair when foam hinge gives out.

Nigel
solentlife is online now Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Oct 20, 2012, 09:03 AM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
3,603 Posts
Also, keep in mind that brand name matters, but 3M has a dozen specialized varieties of medical tape, some of them with names suspiciously close to Blenderm. On the advice of my wife, who assured me that it would be the same I used one of them on my Slow Stick. It was awful. The gummy adhesive just crawled all over my elevator and horizontal stabilizer, gumming everything up while allowing the tape to move wherever it wanted. I had to remove, degum and replace with workable tape!
Rockin Robbins is offline Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Oct 20, 2012, 03:56 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,085 Posts
For the very light indoor foamies I use Micropore, made by 3M and bought at a medical supply store. More of a paper type lightweight material. Been using for a few yrs with no problems. Takes paint well being of paper type.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2