HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jun 03, 2012, 07:11 PM
Registered User
Joined Apr 2012
307 Posts
sd card

hi will any micro sd card work in this unit as this sounds really good ive the hornet osd but have never botherd to use the sd card function .. very nice work
wayneuk is offline Find More Posts by wayneuk
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 03, 2012, 07:12 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
NorCalMatCat's Avatar
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,569 Posts
Should, I haven't tested different cards to tell :P
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 03, 2012, 09:39 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
NorCalMatCat's Avatar
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,569 Posts
I just indentified the fields for time and date , I will update the info soon.
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 03, 2012, 10:52 PM
Fatalities caused by FPV: Zero
glassdogangle's Avatar
United States, OR, Springfield
Joined Jun 2011
452 Posts
Hornet OSD card caused malfunction

Hey guys! I have been flying the Hornet OSD along with the FY31-AP for a couple months now.

Just so you know, I had a very scary thing happen when I tried using my Hornet microSD card slot for the first time.

After 10 or 20 successful flights, I plugged in a brand new SanDisk microSD card to test out the Hornet OSD recording capabilities one morning. The clouds were very low, and in a 95% solid sheet. Since I had never been above the clouds before, and since I had become good at navigation using my OSD, I decided to push a boundary and fly above the clouds.

I pushed up through to blue sky above, and nothing but pure white fluffy clouds below. It was like a flat fluffy white snow cap. The only thing flying with me over the pure white cloud blanket was the bright morning sun low in the east.

I navigated on a north-south track, doing 180 turns when I got to each end of my navigation track. Then, as I turned to head south once more, I noticed my compass was no longer turning. It kept reading "north" even as I was banking around. It only took a second or two for me to realize with dread that NONE of my OSD info was updating at all! Then all the info went blank except for the feiyutech start-up logo!

I could no longer hear my plane with my ground ears, and I have never had to activate my FY31-AP RTL feature in an emergency before. I panicked and flew around in circles for a few seconds, then, like a drowning person, swam straight down through the whiteness to see if I could get my bearings by sight before I flew out of video range.

As the ground came into clear, but unrecognizable view before me, my OSD info came back up and seemed to be working correctly. I flew back home, and watched as the Hornet repeated this alarming process once or twice more before I decided I had better land before something worse happens!

After long thought into what the hell happened, I remembered that the only thing I did different this day was to put that microSD card in the slot. I took it out right away (it did record all the gobbldey gook, though). I have flown probably 50 times since this scary flight, through clouds and one complete airplane switch, and the problem has not happened again.

Anybody have this happen to them before?
glassdogangle is offline Find More Posts by glassdogangle
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 03, 2012, 10:56 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
NorCalMatCat's Avatar
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,569 Posts
Yes it is a known bug, sometimes SDCard will crash the OSD and restart it, luckily it will remember everything once it reboots though (like home location). I have had it happen once, and heard of others having it happen too.

Now that I have this converter I am going to do some flight tests with different SD cards and see if I can figure anything ou. It does write a LOT of data to that SDCard, though only a fraction of what video would be (I.E. Recording on a GoPro), so I doubt SD card speed is the problem but it COULD be.
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 03, 2012, 11:31 PM
Fatalities caused by FPV: Zero
glassdogangle's Avatar
United States, OR, Springfield
Joined Jun 2011
452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
Yes it is a known bug, sometimes SDCard will crash the OSD and restart it, luckily it will remember everything once it reboots though (like home location). I have had it happen once, and heard of others having it happen too.
Thankyou for the info. As the saying goes, misery must love company because it makes me feel better that others are having this same problem!!!

If I ever do put a card in again, I won't be going out of visual range, just in case. That is re-assuring that the home info is saved, at least, when it reboots.
glassdogangle is offline Find More Posts by glassdogangle
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 03, 2012, 11:40 PM
Fatalities caused by FPV: Zero
glassdogangle's Avatar
United States, OR, Springfield
Joined Jun 2011
452 Posts
I tried uploading every one of the resulting 6 txt files my Hornet dumped onto my card, and none of them showed more than 1m movement on the map thingy.

Cool idea. My files may be bad from the buggy flight. I may try using a card again soon and trying your link again. Subscribing to thread now...
glassdogangle is offline Find More Posts by glassdogangle
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 03, 2012, 11:57 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
NorCalMatCat's Avatar
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glassdogangle View Post
I tried uploading every one of the resulting 6 txt files my Hornet dumped onto my card, and none of them showed more than 1m movement on the map thingy.

Cool idea. My files may be bad from the buggy flight. I may try using a card again soon and trying your link again. Subscribing to thread now...
Send me the log files and I will check to see what's up.
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 04, 2012, 02:59 AM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2010
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glassdogangle View Post
Hey guys! I have been flying the Hornet OSD along with the FY31-AP for a couple months now.

Just so you know, I had a very scary thing happen when I tried using my Hornet microSD card slot for the first time.

After 10 or 20 successful flights, I plugged in a brand new SanDisk microSD card to test out the Hornet OSD recording capabilities one morning. The clouds were very low, and in a 95% solid sheet. Since I had never been above the clouds before, and since I had become good at navigation using my OSD, I decided to push a boundary and fly above the clouds.

I pushed up through to blue sky above, and nothing but pure white fluffy clouds below. It was like a flat fluffy white snow cap. The only thing flying with me over the pure white cloud blanket was the bright morning sun low in the east.

I navigated on a north-south track, doing 180 turns when I got to each end of my navigation track. Then, as I turned to head south once more, I noticed my compass was no longer turning. It kept reading "north" even as I was banking around. It only took a second or two for me to realize with dread that NONE of my OSD info was updating at all! Then all the info went blank except for the feiyutech start-up logo!

I could no longer hear my plane with my ground ears, and I have never had to activate my FY31-AP RTL feature in an emergency before. I panicked and flew around in circles for a few seconds, then, like a drowning person, swam straight down through the whiteness to see if I could get my bearings by sight before I flew out of video range.

As the ground came into clear, but unrecognizable view before me, my OSD info came back up and seemed to be working correctly. I flew back home, and watched as the Hornet repeated this alarming process once or twice more before I decided I had better land before something worse happens!

After long thought into what the hell happened, I remembered that the only thing I did different this day was to put that microSD card in the slot. I took it out right away (it did record all the gobbldey gook, though). I have flown probably 50 times since this scary flight, through clouds and one complete airplane switch, and the problem has not happened again.

Anybody have this happen to them before?
Scary! But if it is the OSD that resets, the fy31 should still have home, waypoints etc. Remember, the osd is optional. If I were in your situation I'd enter a spin (spinning slow) if you airframe allows, then hit RTL when below the clouds:-)
carlalex is offline Find More Posts by carlalex
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 04, 2012, 04:21 AM
Yeah Baby
bignose13's Avatar
Joined Apr 2006
1,381 Posts
Excellent thread, subbed
bignose13 is offline Find More Posts by bignose13
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 04, 2012, 05:53 AM
Registered User
Adelaide
Joined Feb 2007
237 Posts
How about the FY3ZT log files?
Blunderbum is online now Find More Posts by Blunderbum
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 04, 2012, 01:00 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
NorCalMatCat's Avatar
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blunderbum View Post
How about the FY3ZT log files?
Send me a copy of one and I will check it out.
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 04, 2012, 04:33 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
NorCalMatCat's Avatar
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,569 Posts
Ok the converter now tells you the start and end time of the flight, as well as the duration.
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 06, 2012, 04:35 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
NorCalMatCat's Avatar
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,569 Posts
Today I flew with an SD Card so I could log a flight, I went out 4km and I experienced the HORNET reset issue, what I observed was that the on screen information did reset, I.E. mAh draw, home position, time, etc, however RTL still worked to the proper location, so ultimately the problem is annoying but does not effect performance. All of us using hornet should email Feiyutech support and demand that they update the firmware to fix reset issue when using an SD Card!
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 07, 2012, 04:41 AM
Yeah Baby
bignose13's Avatar
Joined Apr 2006
1,381 Posts
Thats me out till the reset bug is fixed, cant trust it tbh
Might try a LOS flight just to see how this software works but deffo no FPV with the SD card in
bignose13 is offline Find More Posts by bignose13
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion RVOSDv5 or FY31AP with Hornet OSD? miksterr FPV Talk 39 Nov 27, 2013 01:23 AM
Discussion Data Log files 72megahz Castle Creations 2 May 03, 2012 12:21 AM
Wanted Wanted: Feiyutech AP117 OSD ptuxbury FPV Equipment (FS/W) 2 Dec 04, 2011 09:41 PM
Video FPV OV-10 Bronco Build Log Files citation560v Electric Plane Talk 4 Oct 22, 2011 12:18 AM