HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 01, 2012, 01:20 PM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
6,973 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee-grose View Post
Wonder what kind of range you get on the receiver. I mean, come on, if you speck this thing out, you're what, 200 feet up?

Seriously though, range could be an issue.

Andy
I've specked out my Champ a couple of times and had full control. I think I sold a couple of Champs that day, and to glider pilots at that!

BTW, it was probably over 400 feet. I spun down and had to do that in two stages since it was drifting downwind quite a bit.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PeteSchug; Feb 01, 2012 at 01:28 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2012, 01:23 PM
Is it summer yet?
Flight Level 46 X 92
Joined Feb 2002
1,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee-grose View Post
Wonder what kind of range you get on the receiver. I mean, come on, if you speck this thing out, you're what, 200 feet up?

Seriously though, range could be an issue.

Andy
They do state you need a full range TX, so to me that would imply they have thought out the range issue.
gouda is offline Find More Posts by gouda
Old Feb 01, 2012, 01:23 PM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
6,973 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Eichstedt View Post
Not true. For many, many months now we've been shipping dealer preorders and consumer preorders on the same day.
Thanks. I got bit on that in the past, watching other guys fly planes that I had on back order from day one.

I'll put in an order and hope you are right.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some Books About Flying
Old Feb 01, 2012, 01:31 PM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouda View Post
They do state you need a full range TX, so to me that would imply they have thought out the range issue.
That's the reason I asked. I saw the mention of the full range TX, and it made me wonder if there was a better RX in this one.
dee-grose is offline Find More Posts by dee-grose
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2012, 01:49 PM
Registered American Veteran
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Joined Aug 2010
164 Posts
Wonderful looking! Battery telemety would be my only wish on this item.......
natss is offline Find More Posts by natss
Old Feb 01, 2012, 02:19 PM
United States, NC, Goldsboro
Joined Mar 2011
393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeM View Post
Unfortunately where I fly it is completely flat. May have to move to Colorado...
Flat CAN be good for thermals... Some of my favority glider flight was nothing more than "bungee" launch and a controlled decent. If this thing can take advantage of even the smallest thermal I'm sure you could fly longer than the battery would like. Never know.
MyPonyRocks is offline Find More Posts by MyPonyRocks
Old Feb 01, 2012, 02:28 PM
Central Massachusetts
Joined Aug 2006
1,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSchug View Post
I've specked out my Champ a couple of times and had full control. I think I sold a couple of Champs that day, and to glider pilots at that!

BTW, it was probably over 400 feet. I spun down and had to do that in two stages since it was drifting downwind quite a bit.

Pete
I have taken my Champ up to speck like heights. In the late evening dusk it was easy to see how high I could fly and still see it. Full negative and full rudder gives it a tight axial spiral downward. I used a RTF TX when I did this. I can't imagine losing radio control before losing sight.
ducatirdr is offline Find More Posts by ducatirdr
Old Feb 01, 2012, 03:00 PM
Houston, TX, US
Joined Jun 2000
1,615 Posts
Quote:
Hi-start is part elastic with a long cord attached. It's not a bungee launch.

The cord is four or five times the length of the rubber, which is not as strong as you would use for a bungee launch. The effect is that the rubber acts like someone running with a kite string and the glider goes up like a kite.

Very nice simple way to get a reasonable height without much effort.

Pete
Yes, I loved flying a Gentle Lady this way. This little beauty should be lots of fun with a hi-start. At least it will hold me off temporarily from having to commit to getting the beautiful looking little Cub, too.
DaveG is offline Find More Posts by DaveG
Old Feb 01, 2012, 03:07 PM
Houston, TX, US
Joined Jun 2000
1,615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Eichstedt View Post
Not true. For many, many months now we've been shipping dealer preorders and consumer preorders on the same day.
Thanks for the info, Dave. And a BIG thanks for making our R/C dreams a reality.
DaveG is offline Find More Posts by DaveG
Old Feb 01, 2012, 05:57 PM
Joined Apr 2005
197 Posts
Sail planes

I have been wanting this even before they brought out the 210,I have to have this one. But they still have to come up with an E glider. Thats going to rock my world.
Bradley Crandall is online now Find More Posts by Bradley Crandall
Old Feb 01, 2012, 06:04 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,400 Posts
Just a quick note:

I've updated my FAQ to add all the new AS3X ultra-micro airplanes which came out today. So always remember to check it first if you have any questions, particularly if you're new to the AS3X technology.

Link to FAQ

And just in case (and for those poor HH guys), here's the current questions that have not been answered yet:

Link to current questions about new airplanes
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Feb 01, 2012, 06:10 PM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Mahomet, Illinois
Joined Aug 2007
2,176 Posts
Quote:
Thanks. I got bit on that in the past, watching other guys fly planes that I had on back order from day one.

I'll put in an order and hope you are right.

Pete
Buy from wherever it's most convenient. We're big on supporting your LHS, but if you want to buy direct from us that's OK too.
Dave Eichstedt is offline Find More Posts by Dave Eichstedt
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 01, 2012, 06:13 PM
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Nov 2009
165 Posts
I always read how all the planes are on backorder but when I go to my local Hobbytown (Tampa, FL) they usually have it. and omg Thank you horizon team I ve been dreaming of a micro glider but I suck at building light enough to make it work. so exited for this release.
asd9000 is offline Find More Posts by asd9000
Old Feb 01, 2012, 06:27 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,080 Posts
This thing has a 34 inch wingspan.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Feb 01, 2012, 07:35 PM
Let's get low, let's get fast.
USA, PA, Pittsburgh
Joined Dec 2009
311 Posts
I hate you HH and you're crack team of psy-ops mind readers. First, you come out with the Sbach and a Mini-Stryker. Then, again, you figure out that I want the Beast to do 3D. I doubled the thickness of my foil hat, but you figured out I wanted a micro EDF. Then I moved into an old Atlas missile silo, thinking it would shield me. I swear, I had the mouse over the "buy" button for a glider, thought to check the 'official' release today, and found this, and the cub I was thinking of putting together from scratch over the winter. GET OUT OF MY HEAD!

If you somehow release a UMX ME 262 or a Nemesis, I don't know what I'll do....
kilgore_trout is offline Find More Posts by kilgore_trout