HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:11 PM
Joined Oct 2011
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyh0905 View Post
My suspicion has now moved to a lose component on the main board (coil?). When I power up the disconnected main board, I still just get the single flash of the led.
Coil movement is normal. Disconnected board normally blinks red then red and after a while turn steady green. The problem you have is very similar to the problems typical for ardrone v1 I had in the past ( now i own v 2). Relatively heavy procesor tends to break BGA contacts after the crash. Try to push processor hard with your finger and see if you can get green light of the led. I had similar problem twice and once was even able to fix it by heating the proc with soldering iron while pressing it hard ( sort of solder back BGA).
obelix662000 is offline Find More Posts by obelix662000
Last edited by obelix662000; Nov 12, 2012 at 06:49 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:33 PM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by obelix662000 View Post
Long time ago I was able to watch live video on my iDev while mirumod operation. Yesterday I tried again and found that live video cannot be watched on iDev (its almost frozen, only few updates in 10 sec). Is this normal for current version of mirumod and most recent freeflight?
Just checked it on a V1 and on a V2 drone, both are working on rev 0.19. Make sure you boot the drone & mod first with TX throttle centered, then go to Settings and select the drone network for WiFi, then launch FreeFlight... Also make sure your iDev is some ways away from the TX.
BTW: the video switch command from the TX is elevator stick right, on a D2 it switches between front and bottom camera, on a D1 it switches between front camera, bottom camera, and the two insert modes, which are not very useful with the new FreeFlight App, since the menu covers half of the inserted picture.
miru is offline Find More Posts by miru
Last edited by miru; Nov 12, 2012 at 06:40 PM.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:35 PM
The Netherlands, UT, Utrecht
Joined Nov 2012
4 Posts
Thanks for sharing this SWJ2511, it's going to help with my attempt at this.
KiwiTarantula is offline Find More Posts by KiwiTarantula
Last edited by KiwiTarantula; Nov 12, 2012 at 10:40 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:35 AM
Joined Jun 2012
2,239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by happul3 View Post
You don't need to compile arm code. Considering that you you have at least one drone that works with mod, the easiest thing to do is to copy it from there. Connect your computer to drone with working mod. Telnet 192.168.1.1, cp /tmp/at2so.arm <whatever_folder_ftp_uses>, ftp 192.168.1.1 5551, binary, get at2so.arm. Now you have your own copy Disconnect from that drone and connect to the drone which does not work with mod. Ftp 192.168.1.1 5551, binary, put at2so.arm, bye. Telnet 192.168.1.1, cp <whatever_folder_ftp_uses>/at2so.arm /video/data, chmod 777 /video/data/at2so.arm, exit. That's it.
Recompiled with the new baud rate (Doh! for not spotting the Arduino editor had line numbers ) but no joy on the v2. Mod worked OK on the V1 and I didn't notice any extra time in startup, so I'll keep that in if it's 'better'.

For the ftp stuff: Some confusion about paths on my part, so I'll tell you what I did and you can perhaps correct my error? Got the file from the v1 drone OK - cp'd it from /tmp to data/video, which is visible in both telnet and ftp, and onto my PC - ftp'd it back to the v2 and put put in back into data/video on the v2, so no second cp required. There is no /video/data, only data/video, so I assumed that was a typo? - and in case it wasn't a typo and was hidden, I cp'd from /data/video to /video/data but got 'no such directory'. chmod 777 /data/video/at2so.arm worked but did nothing else on exit. The Mod code did not suddenly say "Oh, there you are, at2so.arm file...on we go" and start flashing the Arduino LED.

Also cp'd from /data/video it to /tmp and chmod'd it again - just in case - but still nothing from the Mod.

Rebooted and Telnet'd in again and found at2so.arm was still in /data/video, so if I need to copy it somewhere else, or modify the sketch to look there instead of /tmp, then I'm all for that, just need to know what to edit.

Presumably, if that works, with the .arm code permanently onboard, it would speed up the boot process?
Brandigan is offline Find More Posts by Brandigan
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:24 AM
Joined Jun 2012
2,239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawelsky View Post
That's only in setup (which is a simplified emulation of the actual behaviour) in normal usage camera does not switch when changing configs (regardless of the rvid flag)
Not just in Setup, but half right. VID+ changed if you move the sticks in the wrong order when actually connected to the Drone (see it in FreeFlight) -, i.e. ES_RT before TS_UP - but does not if done in the 'right' order: TS_UP, then ES_RT. As there is apparently a check to avoid the clash when done the 'right' way, it's a minor bug that you can change configs by moving the sticks in the 'wrong' order. If fixed, might allow more options/switches on the Right stick in addition to VID+.

The simplified/emulation Setup is a bit limited when trying to check if a mod will work before plugging it into the Drone. My faulty Pro Mini Mod that won't even let me boot a v1 drone and presumably killed my v2's serial connector still works perfectly in Hyperterminal and all the channels react as they should. Is there really nothing else Setup can check about the rest of the Mod?

A few questions about voltages: I have slight differences on the two Mods when tested at GND > VCC (5.01v= Pro Mini+FTDI) (4.63v= Nano )
With correspondingly lower voltages with and without the LV>RX0 link at Tx and Rx
a) Is this normal? and
b) Does the v1 drone need the link to be open at LV>RX0? i.e. will it work with the lower 1.8v of the v2 instead of 3.3v?

It's just with swapping the mod back and forth between a v1 and a v2, if I don't have to remember to make/break that link it's one less thing to go wrong.
Last edited by Brandigan; Nov 13, 2012 at 09:25 AM.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:07 AM
Joined Aug 2012
115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandigan View Post
Recompiled with the new baud rate (Doh! for not spotting the Arduino editor had line numbers ) but no joy on the v2. Mod worked OK on the V1 and I didn't notice any extra time in startup, so I'll keep that in if it's 'better'.

For the ftp stuff: Some confusion about paths on my part, so I'll tell you what I did and you can perhaps correct my error? Got the file from the v1 drone OK - cp'd it from /tmp to data/video, which is visible in both telnet and ftp, and onto my PC - ftp'd it back to the v2 and put put in back into data/video on the v2, so no second cp required. There is no /video/data, only data/video, so I assumed that was a typo? - and in case it wasn't a typo and was hidden, I cp'd from /data/video to /video/data but got 'no such directory'. chmod 777 /data/video/at2so.arm worked but did nothing else on exit. The Mod code did not suddenly say "Oh, there you are, at2so.arm file...on we go" and start flashing the Arduino LED.

Also cp'd from /data/video it to /tmp and chmod'd it again - just in case - but still nothing from the Mod.

Rebooted and Telnet'd in again and found at2so.arm was still in /data/video, so if I need to copy it somewhere else, or modify the sketch to look there instead of /tmp, then I'm all for that, just need to know what to edit.

Presumably, if that works, with the .arm code permanently onboard, it would speed up the boot process?

Sorry to hear about no change with v2.

About ftp. It is indeed a sloppy typo on my part: the correct path is /data/video. The existence of /data/video/at2so.arm does not by itself change anything in mod startup. As I mentioned previously, you need to make a change to sketch to force it use file in /data/video. The change is very simple: comment out (or delete) the first line in sketch, i.e.,

//#define AT2SO 1

Optionally, you can also cut off everything after (and including) the following line.

void _flash_at2so(void) {

Finally, recompile and reflash. Keep in mind that, after seeing that serial rate change did nothing to help v2 drone, it is unlikely that using preinstalled at2so.arm will help. On the other hand, you have nothing to lose in trying this. By the way, if mod fails to startup properly with preinstalled companion program, you may want to use telnet and type 'top' followed by enter at the busybox prompt. Look through the list of processes to see if at2so.arm is on the list.
happul3 is offline Find More Posts by happul3
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:36 AM
Joined Jun 2012
2,239 Posts
Quote:
The change is very simple: comment out (or delete) the first line in sketch, i.e.,

//#define AT2SO 1

Finally, recompile and reflash. Keep in mind that, after seeing that serial rate change did nothing to help v2 drone, it is unlikely that using preinstalled at2so.arm will help. On the other hand, you have nothing to lose in trying this. By the way, if mod fails to startup properly with preinstalled companion program, you may want to use telnet and type 'top' followed by enter at the busybox prompt. Look through the list of processes to see if at2so.arm is on the list.
Ah, thanks. Missed the significance of deleting the first line when you mentioned it before.

Hoping it will work, as I thought this was to get around a wonky serial chip not being able to upload from the Arduino and now it doesn't need to do that. Or is the serial chip used for something else in the Mod too?

However, new problems, so can't test it for a while. Doing some voltage testing on the two boards and I shorted something on the Nano: stone dead. So now I've got nothing that works on the v2. But, some good news: I turned the Pro Mini Mod into a v1 by removing the level shifter and it works perfectly (still can't see where the connections must be wrong on the Level Shifter - it's identical to the Nano's board. ). New Nano and Mainboard on the way though. if your suggestion works, I'll have a spare Mainboard for future mishaps/crashes and faster boot up time, so win-win.
Last edited by Brandigan; Nov 13, 2012 at 08:45 AM.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:04 AM
Joined Aug 2012
115 Posts
Quote:
I thought this was to get around a wonky serial chip not being able to upload from the Arduino and now it doesn't need to do that. Or is the serial chip used for something else in the Mod too?
Serial communication is the only communication mode between drone and mod. If it is broken, mod will never work. However, the inverse of that statement is not necessarily true. The mod utilizes two baudrates to communicate: first, 115200 to upload companion program, and, 38400 afterwards to transfer all the input from RC transmitter. I have indirect evidence that 115200 rate sometimes result in a corrupted upload of at2so.arm. There are also comments from Miru "change baudrate since Arduino at 16 Mhz has problems receiving at 115200..." and "is using double speed on serial transmitter, which is not good for receiver (half sampling rate) -> change baudrate to 38400 to fix this". Hence my suggestion to either change baudrate before the transfer of companion program or preinstall it to avoid transfer altogether. Either way, the mod will be using 38400 afterwards and comminicate nicely, but ONLY if serial port is not broken...
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:18 AM
Joined Jun 2012
2,239 Posts
Quote:
Serial communication is the only communication mode between drone and mod. If it is broken, mod will never work. However, the inverse of that statement is not necessarily true. ... Hence my suggestion to either change baudrate before the transfer of companion program or preinstall it to avoid transfer altogether. Either way, the mod will be using 38400 afterwards and comminicate nicely, but ONLY if serial port is not broken...
OK, well, I'm currently re-upgrading the Pro Mini Mod to a v2 by moving the Level Shifter and its working wiring from the dead Nano over to it. I'll then test the Mod with the open LV-RX0 link on a v1 first and see if it works (it didn't let the Drone boot up before, but at least it didn't kill it). If it doesn't work then there is something seriously screwy going on. If it does, I'll remake the LV-RX0 link, try it on the v2 with the new sketch and cross my fingers the v2 will fly again. If all else fails: New Mainboard's here tomorrow, Nano day after, so I'll just swap it.

Did you see my question about the 1.8v /3.3v link? Will a v1 drone work with the same link between LV-RX0 as the v2 needs? Already put pins in the v2 socket, so only need one plug type, so be nice if didn't have to change that link either.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:45 AM
Joined Nov 2012
204 Posts
Just viewing hyperterminal everything works ok apart from it doesnt switch to FM1 when i put flap to 1 and also doesnt flick to nothing in the bottom right when i switch TX off to indicate auto land when out of range. Any ideas?
SJW2511 is offline Find More Posts by SJW2511
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:59 AM
Joined Aug 2012
115 Posts
Quote:
Did you see my question about the 1.8v /3.3v link? Will a v1 drone work with the same link between LV-RX0 as the v2 needs? Already put pins in the v2 socket, so only need one plug type, so be nice if didn't have to change that link either.
I may be missing something here, but the purpose of those links is to produce actual voltage on the low voltage side of shifter. It is essentially a cool trick - using unidirectional channels of voltage shifter, which are simple voltage dividers, to produce constant level voltage that is then used to pull up actual bidirectional shifters. If one believes the sparkfun schematic, in the drone 1 case the divider produces 5V*R5/(R1+R5)=2.5V and in the drone 2 case the divider produces 5V*(1/(1/R5+1/R9))/(R1+1/(1/R5+1/R9))=1.7V So, if you connect mod wired for drone 2 to drone 1, you'll be feeding drone 1 with logical high of no more than 1.7V. Is it high enough for 3.3V logic? I don't know, "They might or they might not," said Winnie-the- Pooh. "You never can tell with bees." But there is no harm in trying.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:04 PM
Joined Aug 2012
115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJW2511 View Post
Just viewing hyperterminal everything works ok apart from it doesnt switch to FM1 when i put flap to 1 and also doesnt flick to nothing in the bottom right when i switch TX off to indicate auto land when out of range. Any ideas?
Do you see changes in ALL six channels when you play with four sticks (four upper channels) and two switches (two bottom channels)? Do you see that numbers are turning red when you switch off the transmitter? If so, you should be ok.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:28 PM
Joined Nov 2012
204 Posts
just tried it in the drone and as hyper terminal suggests its only flying in fm2 mode cant switch to fm1 and doesnt auto land when you switch off receiver, apart from that everything else is perfect

any ideas what to check?
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:36 PM
Joined Nov 2012
204 Posts
I get the impression its something up with the sketch, i have a dx6i and i changed the first define to

s_land s_gear

the second define was already correct it reads

s_fmod s_aux1

the only other change i made was to add 1000000 to the lines

const char cfg1[] PROGMEM = "1,1,0.35,1500,3.5,1000000,1,1"; /* S standard */
const char cfg2[] PROGMEM = "1,1,0.52,2000,6.1,1000000,1,1"; /* W wild (max) */

i didnt save any of the sketch changes though i simply uploaded it to the arduino

or even a setting on the TX, i have it set to ACRO with all the changes as per the instructions i dont need it on HELI do i?
Last edited by SJW2511; Nov 13, 2012 at 12:50 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:13 PM
Joined Nov 2012
204 Posts
All working now in the Flap settings on the DX6i both on and off were set to 0 and 0, instead of -100 and +100

So yeah all sound and running now, i think the instructions need some serious updates though lol