HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 09, 2013, 07:02 PM
Vancouver, BC
Joined Aug 2009
1,856 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillsmokin875 View Post
Fire I'm actually counting on the aluminum spacer to wear down so it comes closer to the stator. That way eventually when it wears down beyond usefulness I can just throw a new one on and start the process over.
Hard to illustrate with words, but what you have right now is something like this:

.............../////
===========
````````````\\\\\

Whereas it should be like this to match the stator fins:

..............////|
===========
````````````\\\\|
Firehawk989 is offline Find More Posts by Firehawk989
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2013, 07:32 PM
Joined Nov 2013
72 Posts
Fire, now I see what your saying, but I just can't bring myself to sand on that impeller anymore lol Maybe on the next one I make I will sand the blades flatter towards the stator and not space it out so far.
stillsmokin875 is offline Find More Posts by stillsmokin875
Old Dec 09, 2013, 07:34 PM
Joined Nov 2013
72 Posts
And thanks for taking the time to explain that, that's why I joined the forum in the first place so I could use the vast knowledge you guys have on here!
Old Dec 09, 2013, 07:39 PM
Joined Nov 2013
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chidago View Post
Ya could use what you have, and put a reducer inside it, as you have that rigged already..but, run the taper of the reducer toward the jet..a ramp, even..doesnt have to be round to the tube..the water doesnt care what shape the hole is..
Chi, you gave me several ideas with that post, and I'm going to make something up for it tomm that should work the way you said. Will post some pics/vids with the results!
Old Dec 09, 2013, 08:35 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2009
5,938 Posts
Fire's point is very valid, my impeller to stator clearance is .003..and if you look at any stator, its flat across the blade, for the reason of "squish"..

You can run up to .006 on the nqd/graupner, but, .003 gave me best results on the flow bench..when I think back on it, I gotta be insane to put that thing on the bench..
chidago is offline Find More Posts by chidago
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 09, 2013, 10:56 PM
Joined Dec 2013
6 Posts
Just a little summer boating love 2013

Some boating love this summer. 2013 Year in Review

2013 Year in Review - Summer of Havasu (GoPro) (2 min 51 sec)

Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spNDgty2yKQ
WeekendDiver is offline Find More Posts by WeekendDiver
Old Dec 10, 2013, 09:00 AM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
5,938 Posts
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 10, 2013, 12:31 PM
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined Jan 2008
835 Posts
Leave the thread for 2 weeks to catch up on some of life's little necessary distractions and you have 12 pages to catch up

Stillsmokin875 - we all do our own thing with these pool toys, so your approach (as in creating roostertails) is as valid as anyone else's, as long as you realise you could make better tails and easier with a surface prop drive boat. But persevere and you should get good results.

And while I have nothing but admiration for your dremelling skill I'm with Chi on this one. Make the impeller bulletproof and if you're getting as much crap as you say going thru' the tunnel, then something else (something harder /more expensive to fix) is going to break instead. Try a pickup screen to safeguard your investment in materials and labour on that 'octurappeller'

If performance were the goal then making the trailing edge flat and cutting the impeller/stator clearance as Fire and Chi have said (.006 or better, and 003 is optimum) is the thing to do, even if it means more dremeltime.

Tre - thanks for posting that V8 clip some pages back. Unfortunately it's difficult to get much V8 coverage here in Pommie country, so that was very much appreciated. Then again, you owe us that much considering what you're currently doing to (what passes for) the English cricket team
madbugger is offline Find More Posts by madbugger
Last edited by madbugger; Dec 10, 2013 at 01:44 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 12:52 PM
Washington State
Joined Oct 2007
1,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbugger View Post
Leave the thread for 2 weeks to catch up on some of life's little necessary distractions and you have 12 pages to catch up
Exactly! I still browse here, but I haven't had anything to contribute lately.

I have a keychain camera on my Christmas list this year - Not holding my breath. But if I get one, I'll be making a tic tac waterproof box right away, and mount it under the roll bar. Can't wait for some on-board vid. (and with the planes too of course.)

Hope all of you are doing well, I'm thrilled this thread is still going so strong.
7car7 is offline Find More Posts by 7car7
Old Dec 10, 2013, 01:01 PM
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined Jan 2008
835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7car7 View Post
Exactly! I still browse here, but I haven't had anything to contribute lately.
Good to see you! I was thinking of adding to my last post that the YouTube vid StillSmokin was raving about was yours, but the post was already gettin lengthy.

Is that motor I sent still doing the business
madbugger is offline Find More Posts by madbugger
Old Dec 10, 2013, 01:07 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
5,938 Posts
HEY 7 !!!!!!!!! Stop in once in a while, you are part of this thread, bud..thought you ran off with a 20 yr old..
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 10, 2013, 01:09 PM
Joined Nov 2013
72 Posts
Well here is part 2 of the rooster tail mod with revisions from Chi to lower the diameter and create a ramp I was able to get a better rooster tail! The new nozzle ain't pretty, but I'm just experimenting you see Enjoy! And 7car7, thanks for the great idea man!

Again, Check it out in HD, you can see the rooster tail a little clearer!
NQD Tear Into Brushless Jet Boat Bigger Rooster Tail (1 min 40 sec)
Old Dec 10, 2013, 01:10 PM
Washington State
Joined Oct 2007
1,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbugger View Post
Good to see you! I was thinking of adding to my last post that the YouTube vid StillSmokin was raving about was yours, but the post was already gettin lengthy.

Is that motor I sent still doing the business
It is. It gives me many smiles.

I am still in need of getting some better rated batteries. But the ones I have work fine if I don't go full throttle for too long. I haven't done any rivers lately, just lakes.
I did try out the "surf" of Puget Sound this last summer, and it was a lot of fun, chasing the waves and flying over them. But I kept getting seaweed in the grates.
And I had to give it a good bath in the fresh water right after of course. (there was a lake about 100 feet from the salt).
7car7 is offline Find More Posts by 7car7
Old Dec 10, 2013, 01:16 PM
Joined Nov 2013
72 Posts
Mad, I know you guys are right about this, so I will take another crack at it and see if I can dial it in. (I can always buy another prop if I screw up I guess lol)
Old Dec 10, 2013, 01:33 PM
Joined Nov 2013
72 Posts
Chi, seems pretty close match huh??