HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 01, 2010, 05:57 PM
Southern Ohio
Joined Nov 2003
60 Posts
Build Log
Fred Reese Golden Oldie 40 Bipe - Build Log

I was looking through some old magazines the other day and found the review of the Golden Oldie kit that was reviewed in the December 1999 RCM. After building and flying foamies for the past few years, I have a real yearning for something that smokes a bit, smells a bit and sounds... well there really is nothing like an older four stroke. The kit was not available for long as Fred Reese passed away not long after this review so the only option here is a scratch build. The plans are still available and there is a short kit available from Lazer-works (also known as Action Hobbies). I have not been able to locate the original construction article, but RCM does include the text from the article with the plans.

A couple of clicks of the mouse and the plans are on their way. Another member on RC Groups (No Step) had a set of plans and was kind enough to send me a list of the wood I would need. I found that Lonestar is back in business and placed an order with them for wood. I have found the shorts kits from Lazer Works to be outstanding, so I now have a short kit on it's way as well. I plan on starting the build in the next couple of weeks. I just have to gather all the pieces and parts and do a little more research.

I have always wanted to do a build log so I thought if there was any interest, I would attempt a build log on this build.

Please let me know if you are interested. It would be even better if someone else would like to join in and build one at the same time.

If anyone reading this has already built a 40 size Golden Oldie, your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Happy New Year,

Jim
Aeromister is offline Find More Posts by Aeromister
Last edited by Aeromister; Jan 02, 2010 at 07:27 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2010, 05:40 AM
Hamburger Eatin' Fool
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
10,811 Posts
Anytime somebody wants to BUILD something on the Groups, I'm interested.

Mr. Reese had some interesting kits. As far as I know, the Mystery Ship is the only one that is currently in production.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Jan 02, 2010, 06:37 AM
Southern Ohio
Joined Nov 2003
60 Posts
Tom,

I wasn't aware anyone was still producing kits for the Mystery Ship. Do you have any information on where one can be purchased?
Old Jan 02, 2010, 07:12 AM
Hamburger Eatin' Fool
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
10,811 Posts
Sorry, I don't have the info, but the guy sells short kits on Ebay.

I read about it on RCU.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Jan 02, 2010, 10:06 AM
Beaumont tx
Joined Oct 2004
3,706 Posts
To answer your original question, yes, indeed. Always loved that airplane; never built one of his kits that didn't fly wonderfully.

howell
gwinhh is offline Find More Posts by gwinhh
Old Jan 02, 2010, 10:49 AM
Joined Aug 2006
320 Posts
I always thought that model looked really really cool on the floats that Mr. Reese designed for it. The float plans appeared in a following issue of RC Modeler.
Garyss is online now Find More Posts by Garyss
Old Jan 02, 2010, 03:43 PM
Southern Ohio
Joined Nov 2003
60 Posts
Well the plans have arrived (within a week of ordering!), The Lonestar wood arrived today (Great service and nice wood as usual) and I am now just waiting on the short kit from Lazer-works. According to Eddie, the short kit has been cut and should be arriving this next week. This may turn into a build log yet.
Old Jan 02, 2010, 06:02 PM
United States, NY, Ithaca
Joined Sep 2007
840 Posts
I remember the article in RCM and will be following your thread. And yes, the pics showing it with floats are especially nice.

I believe he did a 20 size version too that I would like to build, but I don't know if plans are available.

Jim
buzzard bait is offline Find More Posts by buzzard bait
Old Jan 02, 2010, 07:24 PM
Southern Ohio
Joined Nov 2003
60 Posts
Jim,

Actually I have the original article for the 20 and the plans. I built one several years ago with a Saito 30. I remember it was such a cute plane.

If you still have the original article of the 40 I would be willing to make a trade (copies of course) for a copy of the Golden Oldie 20 article. I keep hearing how great the 40 looked but have never been able to find the original article.
Old Jan 02, 2010, 08:07 PM
Southern Ohio
Joined Nov 2003
60 Posts
I have decided to give doing a build log a try. I am still waiting for the short kit so I am going to start on some of the other stuff. I began with deciding on which engine to use. Since I have been "around awhile" I have accumulated a few engines in this power range over the years and a few are still looking for a home. Fred Reese used an OS FS 40 (pre-Surpass) in his first Golden Oldie. I happen to have a 40 FS and may eventually give it a try, however 800 sq inches on a biplane seems like a lot of drag for this engine. The review of the kit that was done in RCM used an OS Surpass 52 and the reviewer stated the Golden Oldie would flew nicely with this set up. My final decision was an Enya 46 - one of my all time favorites. It also has the same bolt pattern as a FS 40 so slipping the 40 in at a later date shouldn't be too tough.

With the decision made on the engine, it was time to drill the mount and get it ready for the firewall.

Next comes the landing gear. Having a KS wire bender really helps here. First you bend the wire to the pattern shown on the plans...(see pic) then you trial fit the wires..(see pic) a little adjusting to get the wires all lined up and then wrap them with copper wire (see pic). Apply solder, clean everything up and apply primer and a coat or two of paint. Now all I have to do is wait for the 5" Vintage wheels, drill the axles and snap the clips in.
Can't wait to get started on the fuselage!
Old Jan 03, 2010, 02:39 AM
Little shack in the woods,VA
Joined Jul 2008
99 Posts
Excellent thread, I'll be joyfully following along.
My Father and I still build from kits and try to always have something going for 22 yrs now.
Build on! Let's roll.....Americans used to be known for their ingenuity(sp?)....We're still here and watching your build.
tod0001 is offline Find More Posts by tod0001
Old Jan 03, 2010, 04:36 PM
Beaumont tx
Joined Oct 2004
3,706 Posts
What did Lazer works charge for the cutting, if I may be so inquisitive?

howell
Old Jan 03, 2010, 05:35 PM
United States, MI, South Lyon
Joined Aug 2004
1,178 Posts
howell,
looks like the short kit is 53 bucks or so.
http://lazer-works.com/rcm.html
StrangeGager is offline Find More Posts by StrangeGager
Last edited by StrangeGager; Jan 03, 2010 at 05:56 PM.
Old Jan 03, 2010, 05:49 PM
Southern Ohio
Joined Nov 2003
60 Posts
The cost for the short kit was $52.81 plus shipping. Eddie does not inventory the short kits but cuts them to order. Because of this you have to give him a little time. His cutting is top notch and he uses very good wood. Its well worth the time you save.
Old Jan 04, 2010, 08:50 AM
Beaumont tx
Joined Oct 2004
3,706 Posts
I went to his web site and was amazed at the more-than-reasonable prices! Figure the cost of your time and the improved accuracy -- it's almost as cheap as kits USED to be....I may have to built one just to take advantage of his good nature. Amazing variety of kits, also. Thanks for finding him for me/us.

howell