New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 27, 2016, 07:40 AM
Find More Posts by a67ems
woodbury,ct
Joined Mar 2002
219 Posts
Discussion
Lindberg USCG (Steam) Tug Kit

Much has been said about this kit, mostly concerning its authenticity, i.e., was it really based on a real tug?

I certainly do not know, I have looked at a lot of steam tug photos on the net and have found no match. But of the huge number of tugs that must have been built in the steam tug era, who can truly know.

I am assembling the kit and rather than putting the hull halves together with the deck, for easier access for sealing the hull halves and installing the RC gear, I opted to assemble the hull pieces and then cut the above deck portion of the hull halves off. Now I have complete access to the hull for sealing and installation (the same as the Diesel Lindberg tug).

One question, what are the tanks on the rear wall of the pilothouse for? Has anyone ever seen this on a real tug?

Dave Sandulli
a67ems is offline Find More Posts by a67ems
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2016, 10:08 PM
Find More Posts by Harquebus
I see all your typos
South Korea, Gyeonggi-do, Ansan-si
Joined Jan 2006
1,911 Posts
Good kit--one of the better models Lindberg makes. You should post some pics of your modified hull.

As for the air tanks, who knows. If it was a diesel tug, it's conceivable that it could be an air-started engine but it doesn't explain why they're mounted on the back of the pilothouse. Since it's steam, maybe it's for general use, to run air tools or to operate an air horn for extended blasting. A lot of working vessels have a machine room with all tools and materials needed to make repairs while on the go--maybe there was no room inside for the compressor?

I'm convinced it's a fictional tug and the air tanks and oddball deck winch may be just artistic license or designer whimsy. But lo and behold, here's a video featuring what looks like the tug's bigger brother with all the same features; the Miss Q :

Northwest Profiles: Model Boats (7 min 59 sec)
Harquebus is offline Find More Posts by Harquebus
Old Jan 27, 2016, 10:48 PM
Find More Posts by Tug Hercules
Tug Hercules Fireman
Canada, AB, Medicine Hat
Joined Mar 2008
422 Posts
Dave,

Would You mind posting a photo, so that we can see what tanks You are referencing on the back of the Pilothouse.
Tug Hercules is offline Find More Posts by Tug Hercules
Old Jan 27, 2016, 11:26 PM
Find More Posts by CG Bob
KC8WPF
Euclid, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
4,243 Posts
Those could be condensate tanks mounted on the back of the pilot house.

It is not based on any USCG tugs.
CG Bob is offline Find More Posts by CG Bob
Old Jan 28, 2016, 05:08 AM
Find More Posts by mfr02
Blackpool, Lancs
Joined Feb 2006
3,425 Posts
While it might not be based on any ship that was on the USCG roster at any time, it probably has a real counterpart. I have found that to be true with all of the Lindbergers that I have had so far, but the identities and colour schemes had been changed, often to have greater appeal in their native US market.
mfr02 is offline Find More Posts by mfr02
Old Jan 28, 2016, 07:51 AM
Find More Posts by der kapitan
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,928 Posts
Lindberg has done pretty well with producing tugboat kits over the years, and no one should fault them on that---.
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan
Old Jan 28, 2016, 08:44 AM
Find More Posts by Rmay
Louisiana
Joined Sep 2006
1,592 Posts
Have that same Lindberg kit. Seen it with different box art over the years. Bought the kit after seeing the Miss Q featured in SSM oh so long ago.
Rmay is online now Find More Posts by Rmay
Old Jan 28, 2016, 08:58 AM
Find More Posts by tsenecal
Submarines, etc.
Arvada, Colorado
Joined May 2005
1,918 Posts
its one of those classic love-hate relationships. Lindberg has always been a prolific model company, making many classics, like the big pt-109, and the fletcher class destroyer, as well as this tugboat and the other USCG boats.

but it is also notorious for using "parts-bin detailing", and "fit it in the box" scale.
tsenecal is offline Find More Posts by tsenecal
Old Jan 28, 2016, 10:22 PM
Find More Posts by RCBoater
Webmaster, MMCNE
United States, NH, Derry
Joined Feb 2000
702 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsenecal View Post
its one of those classic love-hate relationships. Lindberg has always been a prolific model company, making many classics, like the big pt-109, and the fletcher class destroyer, as well as this tugboat and the other USCG boats.

but it is also notorious for using "parts-bin detailing", and "fit it in the box" scale.
And "label the box with whatever name we think will sell, whether or not it matches the plastic in the box"...... (though some of Revell's ship kits were even worse!)
RCBoater is offline Find More Posts by RCBoater
Old Jan 30, 2016, 08:08 AM
woodbury,ct
Joined Mar 2002
219 Posts
Tug Hercules,
If you look at the pic of the box art that is posted just below your post (enlarge it) you will see two long cylindrical tanks mounted on the exterior wall of the pilothouse. Those are the ones I raised the question about.
Dave
Old Jan 30, 2016, 10:27 AM
Find More Posts by der kapitan
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,928 Posts
Forgot to mention it, but Microglass produces improved fiberglass hull replacements for both the steam tug and the diesel tug. These have more refined body lines, and slightly deeper drafts---.
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan
Old Jan 31, 2016, 11:20 PM
Find More Posts by Harquebus
I see all your typos
South Korea, Gyeonggi-do, Ansan-si
Joined Jan 2006
1,911 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by der kapitan View Post
Forgot to mention it, but Microglass produces improved fiberglass hull replacements for both the steam tug and the diesel tug. These have more refined body lines, and slightly deeper drafts---.
I knew they did one for the Diesel Tug, but they do a hull for the CG Tug/Carol Ann? Just how many other Lindberg kits do they do hulls for I wonder....
Harquebus is offline Find More Posts by Harquebus
Old Feb 01, 2016, 07:25 AM
Find More Posts by Jerome Morris
Union, Maine
Joined Jul 2006
4,941 Posts
Maybe the tanks are fresh water tanks that would have been gravity feed to the sinks and heads.
Jerome Morris is offline Find More Posts by Jerome Morris
Old Feb 03, 2016, 07:01 AM
woodbury,ct
Joined Mar 2002
219 Posts
Harquebus - I took a pic of my hull modification, now all I have to do is find the d/l cable to d/l it to my computer and then figure out how to upload to the thread. As you might guess, I am not very well organized! But if you have ever seen the Lindberg diesel kit, you can see what I did. Assembled the hull halves, then, using a #16 Xacto blade with the tip ground off, I scored my way through the portion of the hull moulding that was above where the deck goes. When I was done, I could fit out the hull for r/c and then put the dech in place and the portion I had taken off. Hope that is somewhat clear.

Jerome - Your thoughts about the tanks being for fresh water supply might be the best yet but wouldn't that add to the top weight considerably?

Thanks all for your input!
Dave
Old Feb 03, 2016, 07:43 AM
Find More Posts by keith S
r/c ships and workboats
bellingham, wa
Joined May 2006
5,426 Posts
Seen those tanks on older boats around here and it was used for a gravity feed fuel to heater in cabin. Usually oil or kerosene filled.
keith S is offline Find More Posts by keith S