Old Aug 07, 2015, 01:14 PM
Find More Posts by rafterrc
Callused Thumbs
Joined Jun 2015
137 Posts
In my Radian Pro, I have taped one along side the servos on the right side of the Rx/servo bay and stuffed the other one vertically, twisted at ~90 deg from the other one down (plane upside down) the battery recess. Yesterday, I was somewhere between 2,000 and 3,000 ft altitude (eyeball and trigonometry no vario), and got an RSSI alarm at 45. The ship was 2-3000 ft away. I was hoping for something more like a mile.

I might be able to get them on the hatch not sticking down but parallel to the fuse using the 3D printed Aloft Hobbies' fixture. I guess I'll try it with appropriate antenna protection for landing.

On 8/21/5:

I did try the PCBs on the belly of the plane, horizontal (parallel to the longitudinal fuse axis). The result was poorer reception. If there were room between the canopy and wings, I'd bore two holes at 90 deg from one another, and try there. I'm now positive that the one antenna close to the servos presents some interference, because the signal is weaker with the servos between the Tx and Rx. I'd even try it without the plastic covers, if I know that I could orient them rotated 90 deg from one another like the 3D printed fixture.
rafterrc is offline Find More Posts by rafterrc
Last edited by rafterrc; Aug 21, 2015 at 06:51 PM. Reason: New Data
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2015, 07:44 PM
Find More Posts by RyanBRZ
Joined Dec 2014
196 Posts
I just received a set of these PCB antennas to be used with a FrSky D8R-XP receiver. On the tx end I have a FrSky DJT module with a 7db patch.

I just ordered one of those mounts that hold each antenna on an angle, 90 degrees from each other, with one turned 90 degrees which is supposed to improve reception.

Do you guys agree that mounting these on the rear undercarriage of my frame will work while also having my vtx antenna pointing upward also on the rear of my frame? Trying to avoid interference.
RyanBRZ is offline Find More Posts by RyanBRZ
Old Nov 08, 2015, 06:44 AM
Find More Posts by Tom T
Learning to crash
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2014
1,553 Posts
I just wasnt happy with the PCB antenna stuffed next to the servo in the bay of my Radian pro and the other PCB antenna hot glued horizontally on the back of the bay under the canopy. So I swapped them out for the longer antennas with the little balun coils. seems to work a little better. But to be honest I still dont get the range I think I should while monitoring the RSSI from my X9D+ and X8R rx. Even though it passes a range test out to 150' in all directions. I just dont like to hear my RSSI calling out 55-60 or less when the planes only 400+ out and 150' up. My SWR is always at 0 or 1, and even cupping the TX antenna with my hand I can make my SWR raise up to 13+/- and come back to 0 or 1 again. I've got a 5dbi replacement antenna for it, but havent installed it yet. No issues flying a big quad out to 3500+ feet with an X8R and same TX.
Tom T is offline Find More Posts by Tom T
Old Nov 10, 2015, 05:55 PM
Find More Posts by marcus le renard
Canada, QC, Saint-CÚsaire
Joined Sep 2015
67 Posts
Mines are mount with the 90 degree holder from Bangood right on top of the canopy of my hobbyking sky eye. With a 5dbi whip antenna I manage to get 4,8km today (almost 3 miles).
*Don't judge my little guy, he's been through a lot

I'll try to place them on the side because the signal get blocked by the motor when I'm flying straight. Will keep you update!
marcus le renard is offline Find More Posts by marcus le renard
Last edited by marcus le renard; Nov 11, 2015 at 11:45 AM. Reason: add picture
Old Nov 11, 2015, 11:49 AM
Joined Sep 2015
67 Posts
Alright try it again today with the antennas on the side at 90 degree. Got 5148m far at 816m altitude.
Great lost of signal when turning right. I'll try to mount them at the same place and angle but farther of the fuselage.

I might receive my 7dbi patch antenna on Friday. With this one I'll probably be able to reach 10km easily.
Old Jan 05, 2016, 10:02 PM
Find More Posts by TiborZalo
quads
Joined Dec 2015
5 Posts
hi guys i smashed the end of the 8xr antenna using one of these mounts under the quad. Good reception bad placement... is there an actual replacement for the antenna Can find much on the web. One side is still working but i have tested it much.

QUOTE 'No issues flying a big quad out to 3500+ feet with an X8R and same TX.' QUOTE
'
TiborZalo is offline Find More Posts by TiborZalo
Old Jan 05, 2016, 11:36 PM
Joined Sep 2015
67 Posts
RMRC is back order but rangevideo have them in stock: http://www.rangevideo.com/receivers/...enna-pair.html :-)
Old Mar 22, 2016, 09:47 AM
Find More Posts by Tom T
Learning to crash
Joined May 2014
1,553 Posts
Question on placement

Ive always had a fear (range reasons) of placing my antennas and especialy drilling holes in a nice perty fuse only to find out it didnt work any better than if I had just stuck the leads down inside the fuse somewhere. Building a Gracia 3.1 glider and it has carbon fiber down both sides of the fuse. Been a big fan (own several now) of the x8r receivers along with my x9d+. But sure wish the leads were a lot longer into the paddles. Could you guys help me decide where to place these? I bought the x8r that comes with paddles and the whiskers, and I have some external whisker mounts here. I just cant decide where the best place to put them at. Ive looked into the 150-200mm leads, but they come with the damn balun coils on them, and know the paddles work much better. This is where I would like to set my receiver at. Ultimately I wish the leads were about 8" longer so I could lay one paddle flat way down into the fuse, and have the other cross ways just in front of the reciever. Or should I just change out to the whiskers and mount my clear antenna holders right under where my LE will sit in the saddle?
Old Mar 23, 2016, 07:06 AM
Joined Sep 2015
67 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom T View Post
Ive always had a fear (range reasons) of placing my antennas and especialy drilling holes in a nice perty fuse only to find out it didnt work any better than if I had just stuck the leads down inside the fuse somewhere. Building a Gracia 3.1 glider and it has carbon fiber down both sides of the fuse. Been a big fan (own several now) of the x8r receivers along with my x9d+. But sure wish the leads were a lot longer into the paddles. Could you guys help me decide where to place these? I bought the x8r that comes with paddles and the whiskers, and I have some external whisker mounts here. I just cant decide where the best place to put them at. Ive looked into the 150-200mm leads, but they come with the damn balun coils on them, and know the paddles work much better. This is where I would like to set my receiver at. Ultimately I wish the leads were about 8" longer so I could lay one paddle flat way down into the fuse, and have the other cross ways just in front of the receiver. Or should I just change out to the whiskers and mount my clear antenna holders right under where my LE will sit in the saddle?
Hi, it would be better if you place your antennas 90 degree apart otherwise you might have problem when turning or banking. Here's how I place them in my modified Sky eye. The narrow fuse you have would be perfect to do the same, but you will have to make some holes
Old Mar 23, 2016, 07:08 AM
Joined Sep 2015
67 Posts
Here's a video of the longest flight I've made with the L9R! Will definitely try to beat that in a near future
9km fpv using Frsky L9R and 8dbi patch antenna (2.4ghz) (5 min 32 sec)
Last edited by marcus le renard; Mar 23, 2016 at 07:42 AM. Reason: wrong link!
Old Mar 23, 2016, 09:08 AM
Find More Posts by Tom T
Learning to crash
Joined May 2014
1,553 Posts
Thanks marcus. Im trying to avoid using the paddles on the outside of the fuselage if possible. Ive swapped out the paddles (even though I know their said to work better) with the extra whips the receiver comes with and will probably go with this idea. This glider wont be used for anything "long" range like yours. Especially with the stupid FAA cracking down here now.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1#post34333388
Old Mar 23, 2016, 09:43 AM
Joined Sep 2015
67 Posts
If it's for short range, you'll probably be good if they stay inside the fuse. Is there a way you can put one vertically?

Just took a look at your glider, it's so thin!
Old Mar 24, 2016, 01:30 AM
Find More Posts by mpjf01
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Aug 2012
2,938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom T View Post
Ive always had a fear (range reasons) of placing my antennas and especialy drilling holes in a nice perty fuse only to find out it didnt work any better than if I had just stuck the leads down inside the fuse somewhere. Building a Gracia 3.1 glider and it has carbon fiber down both sides of the fuse. Been a big fan (own several now) of the x8r receivers along with my x9d+. But sure wish the leads were a lot longer into the paddles. Could you guys help me decide where to place these? I bought the x8r that comes with paddles and the whiskers, and I have some external whisker mounts here. I just cant decide where the best place to put them at. Ive looked into the 150-200mm leads, but they come with the damn balun coils on them, and know the paddles work much better. This is where I would like to set my receiver at. Ultimately I wish the leads were about 8" longer so I could lay one paddle flat way down into the fuse, and have the other cross ways just in front of the reciever. Or should I just change out to the whiskers and mount my clear antenna holders right under where my LE will sit in the saddle?
I use whiskers. In 2.4 "friendly" glider fuselages I put one down the bottom of the fuselage lengthwise and one vertical held in a plastic tube (also 2.4 friendly). I would try that, it may be even possible with the paddles, and then do a range test with the glider at all orientations in respect to the Tx. In flight I get the odd RSSI warning as both antennas are occluded (presumably) during circling but never any link loss. Whether or not this arrangement will work properly in your case may depend on how extensive the CF bands are in the fuselage.

In full CF fuselages I have made a couple of holes in the canopy and ran the whiskers out through them in a V, as like you I dislike making holes in very expensive fuselages. Fortunately moulded gliders these days normally have a FG/Kevlar composite forward (at least) fuselage portion and the antennas can remain inside.
mpjf01 is offline Find More Posts by mpjf01