Old Jan 01, 2016, 07:26 PM
Find More Posts by Dick L.
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
3,252 Posts
Thanks for the dimensions of the mast circumference.

Glad to be of help on the photos. Second post looked much better.
Dick L. is offline Find More Posts by Dick L.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2016, 05:09 PM
Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,534 Posts
Can someone give me a "round number" weight for a conventional A-rig (all up including mast, spars and sails)? I'm trying to do some balancing and I just ordered the sails and will build the spars to fit the sails. This is my first M so I have nothing to compare to other than guess.

TIA.
FoamCrusher is offline Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
Old Jan 03, 2016, 05:48 AM
Find More Posts by Joost vs
Joined Sep 2015
12 Posts
Depends on
material of the mast and spars(aluminium, carbon) and on the sailcloth. So..
my old alu rig weighs about 430 gr.
A new rig with carbon mast and mylar sails will weigh about 260 gr

Attached is some data from my 1978 design
Joost vs is offline Find More Posts by Joost vs
Old Jan 03, 2016, 10:03 AM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,534 Posts
Thanks. That's what I was looking for.
Old Jan 03, 2016, 06:55 PM
Find More Posts by breakwater
United States, MA, Wenham
Joined Jan 2007
1,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktm500mx View Post
question for Viper build has anyone used a spiral drum for their RMG winch for the Marblehead?
if so which one?
Mike

Yup.
On-Deck winches are (in my opinion) the best way to go. All running lines are easily accessible and replaceable when the inevitable maintenance comes.

Also, it's a good idea to install a winch that is easily removed from the boat, as they will eventually need some sort of service, or fail. I've seen some folks travel very long distances to find the winch had failed. And even to the extreme that the boat was built around the winch so it couldn't come out.
Nobody wants to take the axel off a car so you can replace a battery. But it's gotta be done on some models.
breakwater is offline Find More Posts by breakwater
Old Jan 03, 2016, 07:17 PM
Find More Posts by slotracer577
Joined Jan 2006
762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktm500mx View Post
question for Viper build has anyone used a spiral drum for their RMG winch for the Marblehead?
if so which one?
Mike

I have used both the spiral and the now no longer in production step drum. Both work fin. My viper is deck mounted then the line runs forward to a turning block, then back to the main sheet post. My tension line is made longer by running the elastic through a block. The longer the tension line the better it works.
slotracer577 is offline Find More Posts by slotracer577
Old Jan 17, 2016, 08:00 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,534 Posts
Rules Question

Is the location of the upper mast band measured from the bottom of a mast well, if present, or from the surrounding deck, ignoring the mast well?
Old Jan 18, 2016, 07:55 AM
Find More Posts by breakwater
United States, MA, Wenham
Joined Jan 2007
1,714 Posts
The current rules read as such:
5.2.2 The height above deck of the lower edge of the upper mast band, H, shall not exceed 85".

But make no mention of mast wells.

My interpretation of that rule set is that the Upper Mast Band (and therefore headboard) should be no greater than 85" above the "consensus" of the deck. That being if the boat had chainplates, it would occur in this general area. It does not account of for mast-wells or raised foredecks.
A raised foredeck is nice to use as a mast-ram, as well as shedding water. But if used as the deck position, it would allow for a taller rig as the position would be 85" above this spot.
The Mast wells are nice to lower the gooseneck/Vang attachment point, and therefore can make for a larger Mainsail luff, but would be a rig height penalty if used for the 85" position.

Both are quite evident on a Marblehead design such as the Prime Number.

if Measuring, it's a good idea to mark a piece of string at 85" and tape it to the deck. Then run the string up toward the headboard.
Account for any outward swing if you have to go around a mast well recess.

If you use a rig such as a swing-rig which can get taller when you let off the backstay, make sure the rig stays under the 85" mark at all tuning adjustment points prior to passing the measurement certification.

Word is that the M NCR is in California for 2016 (Although not on the AMYA Schedule board yet) so hopefully you're building for that event.
breakwater is offline Find More Posts by breakwater
Old Jan 18, 2016, 12:04 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,534 Posts
RE: "Deck" , Thanks. That's what I thought, but the rules left it rather open to interpretation of where the deck is. The designs seemed to have outpaced the rules.

RE: NCR. I won't be going to this year's M NCR. The boat I am assembling is a Hot Dog that does very well up to about middle of A-rig conditions, then because of its low weight (8.5 lbs AUW) and hull shape (it is shaped like a hot dog!), it falls quickly off pace. It's should be great in our low wind conditions here in Sacramento, however.

Looking at the last three years of weather history of the proposed NCR venue, the wind speed averages about 22 mph on the NCR dates - waaaay too much for the Hot Dog. I have taken a knife to a gun fight before (overweight US1M to the NCR in San Diego) and it is no fun, so I'll pass on this one. However, it should be well attended as there are a group of top level racers in the SF area with late model M's in the closet who should be there as well as groups in SoCal and AZ.

I do have the plans for the new BG "Indie", but won't have near enough time to get that built and dialed in before the NCR. That's OK because this year's Santa Barbara NCR will be in San Francisco and the US1M NCR will be at Hanson's Dam in SoCal and getting my butt kicked in two NCR's in one year is quite enough.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 12:17 PM
Find More Posts by slotracer577
Joined Jan 2006
762 Posts
you have to add a deck mark to define where you measure. The international rules d2.1 It looks like you can have a deck mark for each rig.
slotracer577 is offline Find More Posts by slotracer577
Old Jan 18, 2016, 12:58 PM
GEP
Find More Posts by GEP
GEP
United States, CA, Richmond
Joined Aug 2012
37 Posts
If the M NCR is on the west coast we need to know of the details ASAP. I know of ten Ms in the SF bay area, but most have not sailed in many years. I know my boats will need quite a bit of work. Please share the location and date if you have them. I will spread the word to the other ten sailors.

Thanks
GEP is offline Find More Posts by GEP
Old Jan 18, 2016, 01:12 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,534 Posts
It is posted on the Lake Balboa MYC website http://www.lbmyc.com/class_custom4.cfm but until is on the AMYA regattas list it UNOFFICIAL. There is no official NOR yet either.

I was told informally that it would be at Bear Valley Springs in a private housing development that has a lake. This in the Tehachapi area, about an hours drive east of Bakersfield.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 08:30 PM
GEP
Find More Posts by GEP
GEP
United States, CA, Richmond
Joined Aug 2012
37 Posts
Thanks FoamCrusher,
Good catch. I will wait and see if it becomes official. Unfortunately, July 4th weekend is not to good for me. However it might be okay for others. Easy drive from the SF Bay area.
GEP is offline Find More Posts by GEP
Old Jan 20, 2016, 06:36 PM
Find More Posts by modelyacht
United States, MA, Lunenburg
Joined Mar 2008
24 Posts
I'd like to be there, but don't think it's possible this July. Even with my boat ready to go, travelling cross country with M swing rigs seems like a hassle. More likely to make it to the US1M Nationals in the fall when a group might be going.
modelyacht is offline Find More Posts by modelyacht
Old Mar 16, 2016, 09:31 AM
Find More Posts by Badaka
United States, MA, Salem
Joined Oct 2013
41 Posts
Do any of you use StarBright with Teflon on the hull and bulb?
Or wet sand with 1500?
I saw the above in regards to the CR914.
Almost done with a new carbon mast and sails for my Eclipse III
Badaka is offline Find More Posts by Badaka