New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 14, 2011, 11:32 PM
Find More Posts by tzuchow
Joined May 2011
99 Posts
Discussion
good outside heli under 200$

Guys I want to get an outside heli under 200$ I'm a newbie and I got hooked flying this helis but I cant enjoy it due to the helis dont fly well here due to strong winds, and the inside of our house is small I cant even fly my so32 properly. I want a heli that can take a 20 km/h wind. Its already monsoon season here. Sorry just woke up!
tzuchow is offline Find More Posts by tzuchow
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 14, 2011, 11:44 PM
Find More Posts by Balr14
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,663 Posts
Forget the coax and self-stabilizing FP helis. You are going to need a CP heli. Your best bet in that price range is the Walkera V450D02. It's large and flybarless, so that's about as easy as it gets in CP helis. It's still a big jump though.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Jun 15, 2011, 12:01 AM
Joined May 2011
99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
Forget the coax and self-stabilizing FP helis. You are going to need a CP heli. Your best bet in that price range is the Walkera V450D02. It's large and flybarless, so that's about as easy as it gets in CP helis. It's still a big jump though.
some says walkera is not sturdy! So i got confused!
Old Jun 15, 2011, 01:28 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,663 Posts
No, Walker isn't the best quality you can buy. But, for a CP heli under $200, you are going to have to accept some compromises. The motors won't last long and the servos will need replacing. But, there really isn't much choice if you have to deal with 20 km/h winds. This model is the best you can do.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 01:41 AM
Find More Posts by xviper
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
8,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzuchow View Post
Guys I want to get an outside heli under 200$ I'm a newbie and I got hooked flying this helis but I cant enjoy it due to the helis dont fly well here due to strong winds, and the inside of our house is small I cant even fly my so32 properly. I want a heli that can take a 20 km/h wind. Its already monsoon season here. Sorry just woke up!
I've highlighted in red a couple things you said. At this point in time, there is really nothing you can buy in that price range or even double that price range that can handle that kind of wind AND that you will be able to fly reasonably well, even if there was no wind. Once you get enough practice to actually fly something like that in dead calm, it will be a completely different experience trying to fly it in a 20 kph wind. I've always been of the opinion that even though an RC heli can fly in a good wind, the operator likely will not have the skills and experience to actually fly it in a good wind?
If all you've done is try to fly a small 3-Ch heli in your house, flying a wind capable heli will be a monster next step.
xviper is offline Find More Posts by xviper
Old Jun 15, 2011, 01:54 AM
Joined May 2011
99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
I've highlighted in red a couple things you said. At this point in time, there is really nothing you can buy in that price range or even double that price range that can handle that kind of wind AND that you will be able to fly reasonably well, even if there was no wind. Once you get enough practice to actually fly something like that in dead calm, it will be a completely different experience trying to fly it in a 20 kph wind. I've always been of the opinion that even though an RC heli can fly in a good wind, the operator likely will not have the skills and experience to actually fly it in a good wind?
If all you've done is try to fly a small 3-Ch heli in your house, flying a wind capable heli will be a monster next step.
I can fly my s107 quite well, yes im a newbie but I can say im already good in flying! 3 channels is easy I dont want to buy the more expensive once cause I know I will bust it!

Balr14 what heli's can you recommend then? I can go as high as 500$ Already wasted around that much on this cheap heli anyways so why not up my helis!
Old Jun 15, 2011, 01:58 AM
Find More Posts by arbilab
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,416 Posts
20km = 12.4mi. At 3x 12.4mi, a 747 cannot land in a crosswind. And if I'm not mistaken, a Walkera is less than 1/3rd the size of a 747.

Just to toss some sense of proportion into it. OTOH, that I know of, misoperation of a Walkera has never killed anyone.

S107 will 'fly' in 2mph (do your own km conversion) but only downwind as its Vmax is 1.5mph. 120SR will fly in 7mph though it won't always go where you want it because wind seldom comes from one direction consistently.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Jun 15, 2011, 02:02 AM
Find More Posts by xviper
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
8,677 Posts
IMO, flying a 3-Ch really, really, really well, does not translate into the ability to fly a CP heli at all, although some have defied the odds and have done it. Good luck to you. Balr has much more experience than I, so I'll let him advise you now.
xviper is offline Find More Posts by xviper
Old Jun 15, 2011, 07:30 AM
Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
11,101 Posts
I flew 4ch coaxes (so the ones that actually teach you the use of the TX the way you need it even more for a CP heli) for about 3 years, before I got my Walkera 4#3 in the air and kept it hovering reasonably well - in NO WIND (as I was indoors)!!!
The 4#3 is only an FP and does (to all I know) not require the setup skills and TX knowledge you need for a 6ch CP heli ... so I am still really not understanding how that is supposed to work (newbie, CP ... never flew 4ch coax indoors if I understand that right ... AND 20km/h winds ......)

Only thing I can say is good luck ... (and I mean it ...)
erdnuckel2 is offline Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 15, 2011, 07:58 AM
Find More Posts by Microbaba
United Kingdom, England, Liverpool
Joined Mar 2009
1,679 Posts
The only co-ax I have heard that can take something like that is a CX-2, highly modified with special mods. (Forgive the grammatical tautology).

However, I do not actually know as to how true these claims are. It would take some research.

what I do know is that 20KPH is a B I G ask. If you could settle for 10KPH then you could modify a BOL. The obvious mods are longer swash arms, shortened flybar, move the battery compartment forward, and even then 5-10kph is more realistic.

My S032, with mods, could not take a 1kph wind.
Microbaba is offline Find More Posts by Microbaba
Old Jun 15, 2011, 09:19 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,663 Posts
As others have said, flying a 3 channel coax is very poor training. If you can afford it, buy a good sim (Phoenix or Real Flight). My heli recommendation still stands. It's 450 size, so it's going to be more stable than a smaller heli, but not big enough to be life threatening or cost a fortune. It's flybarless, so the head design is simple (for a CP heli). It has a 3 axis gyro for stability. It's got a basic brushed main and tail motor configuration, so repairs are simple. You will be replacing tail motors a lot, but they are cheap. You could buy a brushless version of this heli, with a shaft drive tail (V450D01), but it's a lot more expensive and you will be doing a lot more repairs to a more complicated tail design.

You are going to crash.... a lot! So, I'm trying to give you the cheapest and easiest heli to work on that will handle the winds. My motto is "crash the cheap stuff". It was not uncommon about 5 years ago, for people to start with a good sim and a conventional 450 heli... which is harder to fly and more complex to build and maintain. We didn't have a choice. There weren't any self-stabilizing helis and coaxes were crappy. So, you can do this. But it will take time and patience.

Note: I never thought I would recommend a Walkera heli in my lifetime. Times have really changed!

Another note: Most people have a terrible sense of wind speed. You can usually cut their estimates in half. Unless you see the tops of trees moving pretty good and the heli above the trees, you aren't proving a thing.

A simple physics lesson: Your rotating blades effectively create a solid disk. Wind will not penetrate it. If wind gets under it, it's like a kite. Highly modified coax and FP helis fight the wind by getting enough head angle to drive into the wind. But, that means dropping power to eliminate the disk, then regaining power and getting the right angle into the wind, without power. You have to be damned good!

CP helis have negative pitch to drive downward against the wind. A 3 axis gyro will try to stabilize the heli when wind gets under the rotating disk, faster than you can do it manually.
Last edited by Balr14; Jun 15, 2011 at 09:38 AM.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 10:41 AM
Joined May 2011
99 Posts
ok then its walkera. I need to stop buying small heli, Im gettng them like 3 helis a week just wasting my money with them. huge question where can i get one? I only know rc-fever and its not available there!
Old Jun 15, 2011, 10:42 AM
Find More Posts by scorp
Cupertino, CA
Joined Nov 2010
2,381 Posts
if you like to work on helis and can take it slow then definitely consider what balr said a 450 size, i donno what walkeras 450 size costs but a trex clone can be had in RTF package for about $200 with a simple 6ch radio, and you can always practice on sim and with training gear.

otherwise i would go with microbaba's option, a big outdoor lama with an extended shaft which can probably do 10km winds.

flying in winds is the most challenging aspect with these birds and where greatest learning takes place.
scorp is offline Find More Posts by scorp
Old Jun 15, 2011, 11:05 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,663 Posts
A Trex 450 clone is not flybarless and does not have a 3 axis gyro. That would make for an extremely difficult learning curve and complex setup and repairs. You could upgrade a clone, but it would be very expensive. A flybarless head is about $40, 3 axis gyro about $200 - $300, servos that work well with the gyro about $100 and a good radio system would be about $300. Might as well spend another $150 and get a good TRex 450, then.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 11:50 AM
Find More Posts by Microbaba
United Kingdom, England, Liverpool
Joined Mar 2009
1,679 Posts
The jump from 3ch cheapies to single rotor isn't an easy one though (I still have trouble because of the yaw on the other stick). Not that that isn't what you should do, but if you prefer something easier to fly? I, personally prefer an easy flier, but that's me, so I think you have to ask yourself what you want most tzuchow. Obviously you are not getting satsifaction from these little toy birds though, are you.
Microbaba is offline Find More Posts by Microbaba