New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 06, 2015, 11:09 AM
Find More Posts by mario24
Joined Oct 2007
39 Posts
Discussion
Ares Sopwith pup

Does anyone have any info or pictures of the new Ares Sopwith pup.
mario24 is offline Find More Posts by mario24
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 06, 2015, 02:57 PM
Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
14,498 Posts
http://www.supercheaphobbies.com.au/...ro-p-4951.html
Here you go from Google.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Apr 12, 2015, 01:50 AM
Find More Posts by R31 Mark
amidoinitrite¿ ¿
Joined Feb 2012
91 Posts
I saw this last night, very interesting little model. I might buy one if people get hold of some and review it. So far there are two videos about it on youtube:

Ares Sopwith Pup World War One Light Weight Indoor Calm Outdoor (8 min 14 sec)

Ares Pup World War One - Short Flying Video - 1st Flight(s) Indoor Model, Outdoor (4 min 24 sec)

To me it sounds a lot like the flyzone/eRC motor and gearbox, which isn't a bad thing. Also proportional servos, they got rid of the magnetic actuators.
R31 Mark is offline Find More Posts by R31 Mark
Old Apr 14, 2015, 02:17 PM
Find More Posts by farnboro flyer
Farnborough, Hampshire, England.
Joined Jan 2002
2,144 Posts
I am thinking of getting one of these little beauties.....................
I nearly got one of their Tiger Moths, but this Pup looks very nice.

Cannot see any serious reviews yet, so if there are any out there, it would be good to know!

Ian
farnboro flyer is offline Find More Posts by farnboro flyer
Old Apr 15, 2015, 07:34 AM
Find More Posts by Welsh Dave
Vintage Nut
Llangollen
Joined Aug 2007
370 Posts
I'm collecting one tomorrow, and will let you know how she flies once I get some calm weather. Looks a little tail-heavy, but nothing a bit of trimming can't fix.

Nicely detailed, particularly the undercarriage and "quilted" cockpit sides. Dihedral increased over scale, but not obtrusively. Certainly looks very much like a Pup, and this model should be in demand if only for the prop, which would lend itself to a host of WW1 models. Ares just raised the bar again!

Too green, if colour is important to you, but I have yet to see an RTF model that gets P.C.10 or 12 anywhere near right. A carefully applied thin wash of brown should correct it. If you can bear to risk stripping the paint off, many gorgeous colour schemes were applied to instructors' personal aircraft.

The transmitter is similar to the one provided with the Taylorcraft, but the type number is 100 rather than 200, so it presumably differs, perhaps in range. It does have trim buttons for a fourth channel: it remains to be seen if they are functional.

My Tiger Moth cuts out unpredictably; that may be down to TX problems, probably with range, so I hope this one will be better.
Welsh Dave is offline Find More Posts by Welsh Dave
Old Apr 15, 2015, 09:43 AM
Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
5,891 Posts
Looks nice. What a horrible sounding gearbox compared to my UM T-28! Sounds like a coffee grinder.
Rockin Robbins is offline Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Apr 15, 2015, 12:57 PM
Joined Jan 2002
2,144 Posts
[QUOTE=Welsh Dave;31353464]I'm collecting one tomorrow, and will let you know how she flies once I get some calm weather. Looks a little tail-heavy, but nothing a bit of trimming can't fix.

That's great Dave................the vid posted by R31 Mike gives you an idea of how it flys, but he was flying in a pretty restricted area IMHO.

My experience on ready built micro stuff is limited to the Nine Eagles P51,(nice flyer) and the eRC Spitfire(under powered, or under propped?)........................

I look forward to your opinion/review
BTW where are you getting your Pup from?................seems a little limited at the moment.

Ian
Old Apr 15, 2015, 01:42 PM
Vintage Nut
Llangollen
Joined Aug 2007
370 Posts
Steve Webb Models, Frodsham. Good service, very reasonable prices.

This model cries out for an Albatros D.III to dogfight. Listening, Ares?
Last edited by Welsh Dave; Apr 15, 2015 at 02:00 PM.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 11:35 PM
Find More Posts by Virgil Kee
Kill Devil Hills, NC
Joined Jun 2002
186 Posts
Ares Sopwith Pup

You guys can have it -- too much dihedral for me.

Virg.
Virgil Kee is offline Find More Posts by Virgil Kee
Old Apr 16, 2015, 06:17 AM
Joined Jan 2002
2,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil Kee View Post
You guys can have it -- too much dihedral for me.

Virg.
The price we pay for a micro flyer that relies on the rudder for turns........?
Still on my " to buy list".................

Ian
Old Apr 16, 2015, 07:12 PM
Vintage Nut
Llangollen
Joined Aug 2007
370 Posts
First impressions: the model is very light but feels substantial, with a very high standard of finish, even if top and side colour is much too green. That's easily fixed.

The undersides of the wings are natural fabric colour, but that of the tailplane is left white, presumably for weight reasons. Looks better than the Flyzone S.E.5a, IMHO. No glossy decals! There's a very detailed Vickers gun, which can be omitted if you model a trainer or hack. Curiously and unaccountably, the windscreen is opaque silver rather than clear, but the shape is good and it will serve as a pattern for a clear replacement. Unarmed Pups had a standard hinged flat Triplex screen.

The rear top decking has a rather prominent joint running down the middle; I'd put a piece of embossed thin paper over it for a better appearance. The fuselage underside should be P.C.10 or 12 except for the silver metal panels up front.

Bizarrely, although the wing rib detail is excellent, the root ribs of the outer panels and the tip ribs of the centre section are missing! These are of a distinctive shape, expanding into a half lozenge between the spars. Their addition from strips of paper is recommended.

Only the real wooden interplane struts are magnetically attached, the lower wing, undercarriage and upper centre section being glued in place. The tops of the c/s struts are joined by neat spanwise strips of plastic recessed into the wing undersurface and painted to match. The model could easily be rigged, which would keep the i/p struts in line. If just one of them turns edge on, it induces yaw!

Scale is about 1/23. The undercarriage is sensational, the legs even having the tiny horizontal spacer bars moulded in. I love the prop, which has hub detail and could easily look like a German Axial or Garuda with a bit of sanding. See where this is leading...? A quantum leap in RTF micro realism!

As I suspected, the transmitter has a fourth channel like that of the Taylorcraft 130, to which it is externally identical except for the -100C suffix. In fact the Taylorcraft TX will happily fly the Pup, perhaps at a greater range.

The strong breezes look likely to be with us for at least a week, but it seemed calm in Chester as I was passing through on the way home, so I decided to risk a test flight on the Dee Meadow.

It was almost a flat calm as I fitted the charged battery I'd brought along and did a quick preflight check. I raised the model for a launch, and whoof! You guessed it - a strong gust from nowhere snatched her from my hand and propelled her backwards up to about 30 feet, where she hovered for some 10 seconds. Reduction of power and a bit of down elevator gave her some headway, and she responded predictably to the rudder until an even stronger gust stalled her and she fell tail first into the reedy edge of the only stream crossing the meadow. No damage beyond a slight scratch under one wing, but it was obviously too windy to fly any more. Anyway, results were encouraging, and she should be an absolute sweetie in calm conditions.

The Pup is designed to take a 50 mAh battery, which is what I fitted, and is as described in the blurb, but the actual battery supplied is a 30. Perhaps that accounts for the tail-heaviness in Steve's video. That and the fact that it was flown straight out of the box, with neither room nor time for trimming! Get some 50s if you can; the Pup thrives on them. Thoroughly recommended, even if the dihedral is strong and the flat profile pilot looks odd from some angles. There's no pleasing some people... That dihedral is the only thing I have noticed so far that justifies the description "semi-scale". This Pup is a darn sight more realistic than most "scale" RTF models, and remember it's just a tiny fraction over Peanut scale...
Last edited by Welsh Dave; Apr 27, 2015 at 07:22 PM.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 07:17 PM
Vintage Nut
Llangollen
Joined Aug 2007
370 Posts
Why are the ends of words carried over to the next line? Never seen that before. Help!! Any suggestions? Is it a fault on my computer?

Update - it seems to have been a Windows fault, corrected by their latest update.
Last edited by Welsh Dave; Apr 18, 2015 at 06:54 AM.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 04:01 AM
Find More Posts by R31 Mark
amidoinitrite¿ ¿
Joined Feb 2012
91 Posts
Fantastically thorough review Welsh Dave!! do you have any pics of the plane you can share? I might get one of these!
R31 Mark is offline Find More Posts by R31 Mark
Old Apr 17, 2015, 04:57 AM
Find More Posts by Peter Phillipps
Australia, Lord Howe Island
Joined Dec 2004
324 Posts
Pup at RNZAF Museum Wigram.

Peter Phillipps is online now Find More Posts by Peter Phillipps
Old Apr 17, 2015, 02:36 PM
Vintage Nut
Llangollen
Joined Aug 2007
370 Posts
Here are some pictures of the model, showing how it goes together. The battery supplied is apparently a 50 mAh, but shorter and a bit thicker than previous 50s from Ares.

The dihedral seems to be a concession to beginners; I'm sure it can safely be reduced with a sharp knife and some glue. Remember aeromodelling?
Last edited by Welsh Dave; May 02, 2015 at 07:52 PM.