Old Sep 12, 2013, 08:53 PM
Find More Posts by SkylineFlyer
Hawk Fanatic
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Jul 2008
8,144 Posts
Build Log
FlyFly UK2010 BAE HAWK New Paint Scheme w/ flight video

While this plane has been in production for many years, FlyFly has finally joined the others with offering this beautiful paint scheme. I know builds for this plane have been done to death, but if you don't mind, I'd love to do just one more. Your welcome to participate with techniques of your own, or even suggestions. I haven't done a proper build log in a while and I know I'll be a little rusty.

For starters, this is my list of components.

FlyFly UK2010 BAE HAWK
FlyFly's new electric retracts
FlyFly's new struts
JetFan 90/HET 700-68-1680 balanced by Gary @ EffluxRc
YEP 120A HV ESC
8s4800-5300mAh
Castle Creations BEC Pro
Turnigy TGY-210DMH (Digital, Dual Ball Bearings, Coreless Motor, No SLOP)

I'm looking forward to doing most of the Jepe mods to this plane as well. Two of which are the intakes and flying stab mod.

FlyFly UK Hawk w/ JetFan 90 on 8s (5 min 7 sec)
SkylineFlyer is offline Find More Posts by SkylineFlyer
Last edited by SkylineFlyer; Nov 13, 2013 at 09:55 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2013, 03:13 AM
Find More Posts by Scott Cuppello
Commercial UAV Pilot
United Kingdom, England, Carlisle
Joined Mar 2007
2,629 Posts
You have not mentioned the vendor?
Scott Cuppello is offline Find More Posts by Scott Cuppello
Old Sep 13, 2013, 10:02 AM
Find More Posts by ticketec
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Oct 2004
1,213 Posts
Hey skylineflyer,

Looks great! Is the smoothness of the foam any different to the std flyfly kits?

I did all they Jepe mod's to mine, but the stab ended up having flutter problems. Here is my build thread and the on going engineering of the stab.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...649923&page=12

If you have any further questions let me know!

Thanks

Dave
ticketec is offline Find More Posts by ticketec
Old Sep 13, 2013, 02:57 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Joined Jul 2008
8,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticketec View Post
Hey skylineflyer,

Looks great! Is the smoothness of the foam any different to the std flyfly kits?

I did all they Jepe mod's to mine, but the stab ended up having flutter problems. Here is my build thread and the on going engineering of the stab.

Thanks

Dave
Dave, thanks for coming in. Other than the paint and the new struts from FlyFly, everything is exactly the same. Same "roughness/smoothness", but I love this plane and when I sold my last one, I regretted it immediately. Thanks for the link to the flying stabs. I'm going to read it over and I know I'll have questions. So be looking for them.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 07:26 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Joined Jul 2008
8,144 Posts
Quote:
Hey skylineflyer,

Thanks

Dave
Two questions come to mind. Where can I get one of those control arms? Did you make that yourself? I need one. Also, what did you do to keep the flying stabs from just freely rotating on the carbon fiber shaft? I didn't see any mention of that in your fix. Or maybe I just missed it.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 07:59 PM
Find More Posts by Mannyman535
edf flyer
United States, CA, Marina
Joined Feb 2009
1,298 Posts
Skyline,
when did you order yours and did you have to wait, Im trying to contact hobby88 to see if they have them in stock, i purchased the flyfly hawk 100 composite in the canadian scheme, now i want the foam version in the british scheme. I had the same problem trying to contact them,
Mannyman535 is online now Find More Posts by Mannyman535
Old Sep 13, 2013, 08:08 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Joined Jul 2008
8,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannyman535 View Post
Skyline,
when did you order yours and did you have to wait, Im trying to contact hobby88 to see if they have them in stock, i purchased the flyfly hawk 100 composite in the canadian scheme, now i want the foam version in the british scheme. I had the same problem trying to contact them,
They've been in contact with me after I ordered it. I paid for EMS and got it in 5 days. Why are you going foam? I like your composite Hawk. I wanted it, just couldn't afford it.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 08:14 PM
Find More Posts by Mannyman535
edf flyer
United States, CA, Marina
Joined Feb 2009
1,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylineFlyer View Post
They've been in contact with me after I ordered it. I paid for EMS and got it in 5 days. Why are you going foam? I like your composite Hawk. I wanted it, just couldn't afford it.
I want it to fly it at a different field with a shorter runway,
Mannyman535 is online now Find More Posts by Mannyman535
Old Sep 14, 2013, 04:58 AM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Oct 2004
1,213 Posts
No Problems mate, hopefully I can help out. I've only had 2 decent flights with mine so far and just love it. Great presence in the air!

Thanks

dave
Old Sep 14, 2013, 05:13 AM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Oct 2004
1,213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylineFlyer View Post
Two questions come to mind. Where can I get one of those control arms? Did you make that yourself? I need one. Also, what did you do to keep the flying stabs from just freely rotating on the carbon fiber shaft? I didn't see any mention of that in your fix. Or maybe I just missed it.
Ok,

The stock, and also my lengthened 3mm spring steel rod for the pivot point did not work, so the upgrade to a larger diameter rod is a must.

The control arm on the servo was a secraft alloy arm. I bought it from DA Australia, but i'm sure you can get them in the US from any number of different vendors.

http://www.desertaircraft.com.au/sho...ts/?&catid=328

The control arm on the carbon rod, I machined that one up myself. It's aircraft grade aluminium, but unlike then you see a shop saying it is aircraft grade, this acutally was aircraft grade (2024-T3) grade. WAY over engineered for the 5 kg design load I was working towards.

The horn was glued onto the carbon shaft after it had been roughed up, with a "hysol" type epoxy was used. I gave it a good heave (i.e more than 5kg load) on the stab once installed and there was 0 movement so it should be good.

If you look closely at the underside pictures of my stabs you will see that there is a straight line about 2.5" long at right angles to the carbon shaft (carbon shaft marked in red for you). I initially had some balsa in there to extend the load bearing area of the spring steel, as part of the initial build. I left most of that in place when I removed the spring steel, but whilst repairing the area I also added another thicker bit of balsa with a 6mm hole drilled through it. This was to give the carbon something more to purchase on for the anti-rotation loads.

you can see that in the repair pic's. The carbon rod hole itself was drilled out on an angle to suit the anhedral of the stabs with a section of brass tube that is slightly larger than the 6mm of the carbon. The balsa plate, and carbon tube as then, with a very generous amount of 5 min epoxy, installed onto both stabs simultaneously. Now I would never use 5min epoxy for anything structural, but seeing as even 5min epoxy is far stronger than the surrounding foam, it works fine, and I had to hold them both in place making sure that they were evenly installed while it went off, so I wasn't going to sit there for 30min+. I made sure to fill the hole and this was done by removing some of the lower skin so that I could guaranty that the area was full of epoxy. this is important as it's what will also help transmit the anti-rotation loads to the surrounding foam.

Does this explain it ok?

Thanks

dave
Last edited by ticketec; Sep 14, 2013 at 05:34 AM.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 06:00 AM
Find More Posts by disho
United Kingdom, England, Durham
Joined Apr 2011
230 Posts
Im in, i like foam jets got a big fleet of them, one of them is my 70m cs 10 blade fan hobby king hawk it flys and sounds fantastic, so will be going with the 12 blade cs fan for this one, just checked the prices on there website not bad looking forward to this one, heres a video of my 70m hawk

HK T-45 cs10 fan 6s BL-32 motor 6s 3000 Who needs a turbine. (4 min 48 sec)
disho is offline Find More Posts by disho
Old Sep 14, 2013, 08:43 AM
Find More Posts by sam51401
Fly more Foam
United States, IN, Sellersburg
Joined Jun 2004
1,128 Posts
Thanks Dave on the clarification on your stab. Im thinking of doing the same on mine which by the way is the very Hawk that I bought from Jon, aka skylineflyer. Thanks again
Sam

PS, you sent any snail mail my way on the past request of MDC???????
sam51401 is offline Find More Posts by sam51401
Old Sep 14, 2013, 09:16 AM
Hawk Fanatic
Joined Jul 2008
8,144 Posts
Quote:
Ok,

The stock, and also my lengthened 3mm spring steel rod for the pivot point did not work, so the upgrade to a larger diameter rod is a must.

The control arm on the servo was a secraft alloy arm. I bought it from DA Australia, but i'm sure you can get them in the US from any number of different vendors.

http://www.desertaircraft.com.au/sho...ts/?&catid=328

The control arm on the carbon rod, I machined that one up myself. It's aircraft grade aluminium, but unlike then you see a shop saying it is aircraft grade, this acutally was aircraft grade (2024-T3) grade. WAY over engineered for the 5 kg design load I was working towards.

The horn was glued onto the carbon shaft after it had been roughed up, with a "hysol" type epoxy was used. I gave it a good heave (i.e more than 5kg load) on the stab once installed and there was 0 movement so it should be good.

If you look closely at the underside pictures of my stabs you will see that there is a straight line about 2.5" long at right angles to the carbon shaft (carbon shaft marked in red for you). I initially had some balsa in there to extend the load bearing area of the spring steel, as part of the initial build. I left most of that in place when I removed the spring steel, but whilst repairing the area I also added another thicker bit of balsa with a 6mm hole drilled through it. This was to give the carbon something more to purchase on for the anti-rotation loads.

you can see that in the repair pic's. The carbon rod hole itself was drilled out on an angle to suit the anhedral of the stabs with a section of brass tube that is slightly larger than the 6mm of the carbon. The balsa plate, and carbon tube as then, with a very generous amount of 5 min epoxy, installed onto both stabs simultaneously. Now I would never use 5min epoxy for anything structural, but seeing as even 5min epoxy is far stronger than the surrounding foam, it works fine, and I had to hold them both in place making sure that they were evenly installed while it went off, so I wasn't going to sit there for 30min+. I made sure to fill the hole and this was done by removing some of the lower skin so that I could guaranty that the area was full of epoxy. this is important as it's what will also help transmit the anti-rotation loads to the surrounding foam.

Does this explain it ok?

Thanks

dave
Dave, thanks so much for that detailed explanation. It makes complete sense. So, I guess what I need to do is start off with a 6mm carbon fiber rod. A control horn big enough to go around the 6mm rod. An aluminum rod to go inside the carbon rod to stiffen it. I also need to insert some ply or balsa into the stab for the carbon rod to attach to.

I'm also thinking of some bearings to go in place plastic pivot points.

I guess the hard part is to drill the hole in the stab at the correct angle.

Am I missing anything Dave?

Thanks,

Jon
Old Sep 14, 2013, 09:34 AM
Hawk Fanatic
Joined Jul 2008
8,144 Posts
I had a nice surprise from Gary @ EffluxRc show up in my mail today. My new Jetfan 90 w/ a HET 700-68-1680kv motor balanced and all ready to go. Yippie. Thanks Gary!
Old Sep 14, 2013, 01:02 PM
Find More Posts by mopetista
Vienna, Austria
Joined Apr 2007
2,528 Posts
gorgeous model - new video by Ronin

really enjoyed watching the smooth flying (great camerawork too)

Hobby King BAE Hawk 90mm EDF (3 min 21 sec)

cheers
Clemens
mopetista is offline Find More Posts by mopetista