New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 20, 2013, 07:09 PM
Find More Posts by RICHIE1988
Joined Mar 2013
21 Posts
Discussion
Turnigy 9x up in smoke???

I just got a Turnigy 9x. I placed 8 AA batteries in the compartment and it turned on no problem. I was only able to get elevator, ailerons, and rudder to work. I turned off the transmitter and walked over to my computer for help on the throttle. I come back 3 minutes later and the transmitter is literally smoking. The batteries were extremely hot and melted part of the inside casing. Obviously I was unable to turn it back on. So what just happened here? Not thrilled that my first transmitter upgrade went so poorly. I was using the Turnigy rx on a Dynam Sonic 185.
RICHIE1988 is offline Find More Posts by RICHIE1988
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 20, 2013, 07:17 PM
Find More Posts by pda4you
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,535 Posts
Sadly - this is the risk with cheap stuff. You got a dud, it likely had a solder bridge or something a direct short and a fried TX.

Sadly the other issue with buying cheap is you get very little support.

Sorry man...

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
Old Mar 21, 2013, 06:18 AM
Find More Posts by TomCrump
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
12,404 Posts
Sadly you got what you paid for.

Let us know how you come out, when working with your dealer, on this problem.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Mar 21, 2013, 01:57 PM
Find More Posts by RCBearings
The bearing guy
Joined Mar 2013
39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCrump View Post
Sadly you got what you paid for.

Let us know how you come out, when working with your dealer, on this problem.
Sadly, I don't agree with this at all. You should expect anything sold to be fit for the stated purpose. Even if it is inexpensive, it should still work, and Turnigy is known for better than bargain basement products.

Contact the company you got it from for replacement or refund. You DID use Paypal or a credit card to pay for it, right?
RCBearings is offline Find More Posts by RCBearings
Old Mar 21, 2013, 01:58 PM
Find More Posts by cherokeenut
United States, CO, Dacono
Joined Nov 2010
695 Posts
I've had 2 of these radios for the past 2 years, both perform flawlessly. Don't knock the affordable stuff till you've run it. I stayed away from a (not mentioned here) expensive brand because they were crashing planes, so much so that that company was buying new planes for people. Thats really great support but what if it was a custom plane? My inexpensive 9X's have been just fine.
cherokeenut is offline Find More Posts by cherokeenut
Old Mar 21, 2013, 02:37 PM
Find More Posts by TomCrump
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
12,404 Posts
A great thing about our hobby is that there is room for differing opinions.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Mar 21, 2013, 03:05 PM
Find More Posts by earlwb
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
14,879 Posts
Well, it may be too late now, but it sounds like the on/off switch shorted out somehow.
You might look there to see what happened.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 21, 2013, 05:15 PM
Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat
Fueled by Arabica Beans
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Oct 2008
4,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
Well, it may be too late now, but it sounds like the on/off switch shorted out somehow.
You might look there to see what happened.
If the on/off switch shorts out, it causes the transmitter to be turned on.
ChillPhatCat is offline Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat
Old Mar 21, 2013, 08:13 PM
Find More Posts by earlwb
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
14,879 Posts
They have a charge jack on the TX's, at least most of them. If you short out the one side with the charge jack the TX won't turn on. If the other side shorts out, then the TX likely won't turn on due to the short too.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 23, 2015, 03:20 AM
Find More Posts by tanebear
Joined Jul 2015
1 Posts
Smoking cause by faulty power switch.

Got my 9x last week. The power on/off switch had felt dodgy from the time I received it. It turned on easily but needed quite a lot of force to turn off and it wasn't a smooth transition.

This morning I turned it on. Fine. Turned off and on. Not working. Weird. Turned off again and a few seconds later smoke was coming from the battery compartment. Battery holder was all melted and the batteries were very hot.

I noticed the action of the switch had changed slightly so I opened it up and pulled it out. It seemed to be sticking. I couldn't really see why. Worked it back and forth for a while and it seemed to free up and move smoothly.

Tested battery holder with batteries with multimeter and got nothing. Had to scrape a bunch of melted plastic off the terminals and got it working. (Gingerly) plugged it into tx and bingo. Powers on.

Not sure if I should replace the switch. I don't feel safe using it. I'm trying to exchange but have added the frsky dht kit so not sure if they will let me.

Anyway thought I'd share.
tanebear is online now Find More Posts by tanebear