Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 06, 2002, 12:38 PM
Justin, Texas
Joined Nov 2002
3 Posts
Question
Hurricane fan unit

Does anyone out there have any experience with Hurricane Fan Units? I have a twin ducted fan seaplane project pending, and I would like to know what the experienced fan drivers think.
Hurricane appears to have the most versatility. Am I on Crack?

Thanks,

Cotton

P.S. Here is the profile of the project
Cottond is offline Find More Posts by Cottond
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2002, 09:51 PM
Purple power
shadow hills,ca
Joined Apr 2000
6,590 Posts
cotton: sorry i'm not familiar with that fan. is it for i.c. or electric?
thats a big project. good luck with it............gregg
gregg f is offline Find More Posts by gregg f
Old Nov 07, 2002, 09:36 AM
Justin, Texas
Joined Nov 2002
3 Posts
Hurricane Fan Unit

Go to the web and search for Hurricane Fans. You will be impressed. They are for glow engines. They make replacement impellers for all the large 4" plus fans. Billet alluminum hubs, with
your choice of blade count, from 4 to 12! The blades are pressed into the hub at any pitch you desire. The impellers are dynamically balanced to over 30,000 rpms. Each blade is a composite of carbon fiber and glass filled resin. They are the creme de la creme of fans. Check them out!
Replacement impellers are $149.00 and their complete fan, 5" or 6," is only $249.00.

This is one of my current projects, the Cartoon Seaplane.
Cottond is offline Find More Posts by Cottond
Old Nov 17, 2002, 04:27 PM
Joined Apr 2002
1 Posts
hi,

Any more specific information about hurricane funs ?
web-site, company name ?

Thanks
Ath. Dardaganis is offline Find More Posts by Ath. Dardaganis
Old Nov 19, 2002, 11:44 PM
smug in granny panties
NorCal Silicon Valley
Joined Aug 2002
11,778 Posts
Hurricane

I use Ramtec Fans and I have had Hurricane redo an impeller for me here and there for specific applicatications and didn't see to much of an improvment over stock. But thats just my experiance with them. Although there 6 inch unit is suppose to be real nice. Guess it depends on what diamter your looking for. I use Ramtec and Dynamax cause there decently priced and easy to use. I think I prefer my Ramtec for performance. My BVM unit is fatser than Ramtec O.S setup but the O.S motor is very reliable. I soak mine in turbine oil between flights.

Barry
monkamarm2000 is offline Find More Posts by monkamarm2000
Old Nov 28, 2002, 09:35 AM
Wilkes-Barre Pa.
Joined Oct 2002
1 Posts
Hurricane Fanes

Back in the late 80's and early 90's, Steve Corney owned Hurricane Fans. He is no longer the owner, but the fan is still being produced. He beat Bob Violet in some speed runs with his Cobra, when Bob was flying his Bandit. I had a Hurricane fan in a Giant Scale A-4 Skyhawk that I scratched built. The A-4 weighted 16lbs and was clocked at 140mph. I didn't have a complete fan unit, but just a impeller. It was 5.75" in diameter. If you give Hurricane the inlet size and the outlet size, he can custom design a fan for you. Here is the web address for Hurricane Fanes:
http://www.hurricanejets.com Just copy this address and past it to your browser. Good luck.....

Larry
Marvick is offline Find More Posts by Marvick