HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 01, 2014, 10:21 PM
United States, NC, Clinton
Joined May 2014
29 Posts
Discussion
Advice For SK450 Quad (First Quad)

Hey guys,

I'm brand new to this forum and (for the most part) a noob to RC.

I'm wanting to build a quadcopter using the SK450 frame. I considered a Dead Cat, but decided against it since it would be harder to tune for a beginner. And it leaves me with a future upgrade option

I'm also wanting to mount a GoPro on the quad, but I have plans for a DIY mount beneath the quad (with extended landing gear).

So, the reason I'm posting is to get advice for my parts list. Is all of this gonna work and bring my quad into the air? (Some of the links are affiliate links; I got them from various sites when putting together a shopping list.)

- Hobbyking SK450 Glass Fiber Quadcopter Frame 450mm
- Hobbyking SK450 Lower PCB Main Frame
- Flight Control Board Protector For SK450 Quadcopter Frame
- Extended 152mm Nylon Landing Skid Set for SK450 Multi-Rotor Quadcopter Frame
- Hobbyking SK450 Replacement Arm Set - Bright Green
- 4x D2830-11 1000kv Brushless Motor
- 4x Afro ESC 30Amp Multi-rotor Motor Speed Controller
- Hobbyking KK2.1HC Multi-Rotor Hard Case Flight Control Board With Remote Programmer
- Hobby King 2.4Ghz 6Ch Tx & Rx V2
- 10x4.5 SF Props 2pc CW 2 pc CCW Rotation

Various Parts and Piece
- HXT 4mm to 4 X 3.5mm bullet Multistar ESC Power Breakout Cable
- Turnigy Battery Strap 330mm
- 10CM Male to Male Servo Lead (JR) 26AWG (10pcs/set)

As you can see, I still don't have a battery or a charger. Suggestions are welcome (seriously. they are more than welcome. lol)
I'm also not sure about my props... They seem like they'll work (can you tell I'm a noob yet?).

For my Tx/Rx: I know only 4 channels are necessary, but I'm installing LED strips I want to be able to control, and I want to switch the self-level mode on and off.

Thanks in advance everyone!! All advice is appreciated!
-Adam
adambowker98 is online now Find More Posts by adambowker98
Last edited by adambowker98; Jun 02, 2014 at 07:20 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 02, 2014, 04:57 AM
Canada, ON, Peterborough
Joined Oct 2009
412 Posts
Buy at least double the props; you'll break some. Spend $35 on a 9X v2 over the 6ch model. If you are going to stick with the 6ch, get the programming cable and drop a couple of dollars on the better programming software: http://www.sgr.info/usbradio/default.htm

Never looked at those ESC's before. Consider something pre-flashed with SimonK. Its not required, but it does make for a smoother flying quad.

Check out the Q450 V3 frame; its a good flame wheel f450 clone. Its $12. It has built in power distribution for that $12. You can buy 2 for the price of the SK450 with the power distribution board. You install the FC between the frame plates and mount the battery on top. I have cartwheeled mine a few times with zero damage.
Ace12GA is offline Find More Posts by Ace12GA
Old Jun 02, 2014, 05:28 AM
Joined May 2009
508 Posts
The motor max amp draw and ESCs are pretty close, I suggest going a littler higher with these:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...C_3A_UBEC.html

Also, the motors are somewhat overkill for a frame this small and light, and also pretty heavy. I use the D2830 on my X525 quad and before that, the SK450, and they have insane thrust and speed already.
Arakon is online now Find More Posts by Arakon
Old Jun 02, 2014, 07:17 PM
Joined May 2014
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace12GA View Post
Buy at least double the props; you'll break some. Spend $35 on a 9X v2 over the 6ch model. If you are going to stick with the 6ch, get the programming cable and drop a couple of dollars on the better programming software: http://www.sgr.info/usbradio/default.htm

Never looked at those ESC's before. Consider something pre-flashed with SimonK. Its not required, but it does make for a smoother flying quad.

Check out the Q450 V3 frame; its a good flame wheel f450 clone. Its $12. It has built in power distribution for that $12. You can buy 2 for the price of the SK450 with the power distribution board. You install the FC between the frame plates and mount the battery on top. I have cartwheeled mine a few times with zero damage.
I'm definitely planning on buying 3 or more sets of props lol.

What 9ch tx/rx would you recommend?

Would you recommend the 30Amp Afro ESC's?

Thanks for the frame suggestion! However, I think I'll pay a bit extra and stick with the SK450... it has the option for a future dead cat upgrade and it's not backordered (plus someone said they ordered one 2 months ago and it still hasn't shipped).
Old Jun 02, 2014, 07:19 PM
Joined May 2014
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arakon View Post
The motor max amp draw and ESCs are pretty close, I suggest going a littler higher with these:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...C_3A_UBEC.html

Also, the motors are somewhat overkill for a frame this small and light, and also pretty heavy. I use the D2830 on my X525 quad and before that, the SK450, and they have insane thrust and speed already.
Thanks for the suggestions - I think I'll switch to Afro 30Amp ESCs.
I was afraid the motors would be overkill... I'll use the D2830's

I'm also gonna update the OP with the new shopping list.
Old Jun 02, 2014, 08:07 PM
Canada, ON, Peterborough
Joined Oct 2009
412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adambowker98 View Post
What 9ch tx/rx would you recommend?
The Turnigy 9X Version 2, with module; this is the one I was suggesting above. Or the 9XR with a FrSky module if you want something a little more flexible.

Quote:
Thanks for the frame suggestion! However, I think I'll pay a bit extra and stick with the SK450... it has the option for a future dead cat upgrade and it's not backordered (plus someone said they ordered one 2 months ago and it still hasn't shipped).
Can't argue the deadcat option. You can however use the Q450 limbs with TBS Discovery plates.
Old Jun 02, 2014, 08:41 PM
Joined May 2014
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace12GA View Post
The Turnigy 9X Version 2, with module; this is the one I was suggesting above.
That one is $70, lol. Trying to keep my parts under $300 to start with, so I'll use that 6ch tx/rx and upgrade in the future.
Thanks again for the help man
Old Jun 03, 2014, 09:29 AM
Joined May 2014
29 Posts
Anyone have a battery suggestion?
Old Jun 03, 2014, 09:54 AM
Canada, ON, Peterborough
Joined Oct 2009
412 Posts
Quote:
That one is $70, lol. Trying to keep my parts under $300 to start with, so I'll use that 6ch tx/rx and upgrade in the future.
Thanks again for the help man
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...Firmware_.html

Yes, its $60; $35 more than the 6ch radio. That $35 more is worth spending. If you consider that the 9X v2 is more functional than a DX6i, with less drop out problems than a DX6i, and costs 1/3 of a DX6i, its suddenly an easier choice. If you like to tinker, you can mod the 9X v2 to your hearts content. Mine has OpenTx on it, externalized the module so I can swap modules, added a backlight module to it. I have two friends with DX6i's who are jealous of my sub $100 all in turnigy radio.

There are certain things worth investing more in up front; says the guy with two HK6 ch radio systems purchased before my 9X.

Do consider using the programming software I linked above, and don't forget the programming cable. It is the only way to program that radio.
Old Jun 03, 2014, 09:56 AM
Canada, ON, Peterborough
Joined Oct 2009
412 Posts
Quote:
Anyone have a battery suggestion?
Based on motor specs of a max of 21A each, 1A for the flight controller. You need a battery that can output at least 85A. Any 4000mah 30c 3s battery should do just fine.
Old Jun 04, 2014, 01:50 PM
Joined May 2014
29 Posts
Oh, wow -- I'll probably end up getting the better radio then, haha. And I'll be sure to check out that programming software.

What weight should the battery be? I found a 4000mAh 30c 3s battery that was around 370g.
Old Jun 04, 2014, 02:14 PM
Joined May 2009
508 Posts
Actually, 2200mAh 35C will do fine with some to spare, since the motors won't really ever draw the max all at once (unless you load up the quad to 3kg and then try to do acrobatics). I run 2200 mAh 25C and they get warm (~40C), but that's it.. not overheating. I run the same motors and 30A ESCs with a heavier frame. 9-10 mins of flight time. 4000 mAh will of course give you more flight time.
Arakon is online now Find More Posts by Arakon