Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 04, 2014, 05:37 PM
Joined Apr 2014
28 Posts
Build Log
Indoor 'Offroad' Micro RC Race Track

Hey all,

I am slowly putting together and modular micro RC race track. I have decided to do it because there is nothing really in the commercial space that is of interest. Losi has a version of RCP track that has jumps but overall it isn't that interesting. I wanted to be able to build something that would be able to include terrain that you see in real life for buggy and desert truck racing.

Here's a video that shows where I am up:

Micro RC Car Track Losi Mini-Z LivingRoomRaceway.com (4 min 6 sec)

At the moment I have made 7 modules but I plan on making one more. The video shows 5 modules.

The next steps are to add terrain. I am going to try something different on each module from paper mache to putties and maybe even some 'kinetic sand'.

I hops it's OK to post this as a build log even though it is not a vehicle build as I plan on showing what I have done along the way.

CG
inlina is offline Find More Posts by inlina
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2014, 07:01 PM
in memory of dez RIP
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Jun 2008
2,492 Posts
post away
rcphreak is offline Find More Posts by rcphreak
Old Apr 05, 2014, 09:39 AM
Cow R/C
United States, MI, Grand Blanc
Joined Nov 2007
1,315 Posts
Look forward to seeing more.
fastmax is offline Find More Posts by fastmax
Old Apr 25, 2014, 08:18 AM
Joined Apr 2014
28 Posts
So I was planning on getting some terrain done this week but I am behind on that. I have made a start but very little progress.

I did get the tie rods on the micro DT fixed though so I made a video showing some more track layout options.

Modular Micro RC Car Track Losi Micro Kyosho Mini-Z (4 min 7 sec)
Old Apr 30, 2014, 08:45 PM
United States, CT, Brookfield
Joined Jun 2013
2,110 Posts
Yes please keep us in the loop as you progress, especially with the terrain that you plan to add.

Are those modules heavy?
Paul Onorato is offline Find More Posts by Paul Onorato
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A little about me.
Old May 01, 2014, 12:29 PM
Wisconsin
Joined Aug 2005
116 Posts
Looks like fun! I just picked up a micro, was able to talk my neighbor into buying one to. This looks like a fun project.
91awdTalon is offline Find More Posts by 91awdTalon
Old May 03, 2014, 12:21 AM
Joined Apr 2014
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Onorato View Post
Are those modules heavy?
6.5kg for the modules as I have built them. They don't seem too heavy to move around. I guess they could be lighter by using a smaller section wood for support structure and thinner ply.

CG
Old May 03, 2014, 08:59 AM
United States, CT, Brookfield
Joined Jun 2013
2,110 Posts
That is not too bad for weight. It would also be cool if you made one module like a ramp that leads to a raised section. It would add some dimension to your track concept.
Paul Onorato is offline Find More Posts by Paul Onorato
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A little about me.
Old May 07, 2014, 10:09 PM
Brazil, SC, Brusque
Joined Aug 2012
35 Posts
what about some obstacles?
Losi track dots are nice on the corners
Artur Fischer is online now Find More Posts by Artur Fischer
Old May 08, 2014, 07:12 AM
Joined Apr 2014
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artur Fischer View Post
what about some obstacles?
That is the next step.
Old Jun 01, 2014, 10:58 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Apr 2014
235 Posts
Just a suggestion but it might not be viable considering it is an 'indoor' setup.. But if you had a module that was stepped down 1/4inch or more (depending on desired outcome) with a border to bring it to the same height as the others then use real dirt, sift it into the panel, light mist spray with water to allow it to harden and then have a more realistic 'dirt track' section. You can also sift it in with undulations, or jumps can also be formed this way but will have to be maintained after some use. Again this might not be good in a house lol but maybe a garage setup or outside under a veranda etc
AJ450 is online now Find More Posts by AJ450
Old Jun 02, 2014, 07:28 AM
Brazil, SC, Brusque
Joined Aug 2012
35 Posts
I agree with you AJ450 that would be great doing that.
But is going to be hard to keep the modular idea.
I personally use cardboard jumps.
Artur Fischer is online now Find More Posts by Artur Fischer
Old Jun 15, 2014, 03:49 AM
Joined Apr 2014
28 Posts
AJ450...I like the idea, but yes, indoors it would be messy. I want to buy a bulk lot of 'kinetic sand' and do something similar. That stuff is a bit expensive though and buying more vehicles is more of a priority at the moment.

So the going has been slow on making terrain and I want to get some of my ideas out of my head and into a physical form but time is the challenge right now. Stupid responsibilities

Here is a video that shows some of the plaster moldings I have made so far for terrain as well as a few cardboard jumps I bought ages ago and some track markers. I kept beaching it on the plaster moldings but it was mainly because I had the battery cover off as I was running a 1S LiPo up under the body.

Losi Micro DT on Modular Living Room Race Track including jumps and terrain (2 min 43 sec)
Old Jun 15, 2014, 07:11 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Apr 2014
235 Posts
I think your on the right track and looks good, do you have a stick steering Tx or wheel. Sounds like stick, little hard for full control but not important. Other option would be different kinds of fake 'synthetic' grasses which would give different traction/driveability results. Fake dirt is hard to come by lol. I understand the 'messy' factor though, was just a thought. In all though good job and as long as it keeps the interest and fun feeling, that's all that matters
AJ450 is online now Find More Posts by AJ450
Old Jun 20, 2014, 07:54 PM
Joined Apr 2014
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ450 View Post
I think your on the right track and looks good, do you have a stick steering Tx or wheel. Sounds like stick, little hard for full control but not important. Other option would be different kinds of fake 'synthetic' grasses which would give different traction/driveability results. Fake dirt is hard to come by lol. I understand the 'messy' factor though, was just a thought. In all though good job and as long as it keeps the interest and fun feeling, that's all that matters
I have the standard AM wheel TX that comes with a micro DT. The noise is me letting go of the throttle trigger...now I am going to go ahead and assume that is bad technique. Something to work on from a driving perspective for me I guess, but I am more of a builder/engineer that a driver.

I will have to see what I can come up with in the synth grass realm. Perhaps I can find some offcuts on eBay. I used to use a heavy pile rug upside down with folds to make jumps, that was pretty good so I might try to re-create it.

I would like to try some kind of a loose surface though. Maybe small pebbles, ball bearings or marbles that are contained by the lane markers and small ramps at the entry and exit to the module. I'll workshop the idea!

I was also contemplating getting a piece of melamine/laminate and putting spray on furniture polish to make it slippery for some ice racing. Just not sure if the furniture polish would be bad for the tires longer term.

Anyway...so many ideas in my head, I should probably get building rather than typing.

Here is a closer view of the plaster terrain section from last weekend...

Living Room Raceway Losi Micro Desert Truck Plaster Terrain Close Up (1 min 27 sec)