HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by valiantGLX, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 01:46 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by new user View Post
here is my entry for the freestyle. all done with a hobbyzone champ. Disregard the background noise from my kid. I actually got it to fly upside down a couple times, nothing to far tho

http://youtu.be/3M7whhCgBxw
WOW! I have never seen a 3ch fly like that before

Bravo and encore, encore
valiantGLX is online now Find More Posts by valiantGLX
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2012, 02:26 PM
OEF 10-11
United States, NC, Taylorsville
Joined Oct 2012
219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by valiantGLX View Post
WOW! I have never seen a 3ch fly like that before

Bravo and encore, encore
thank you kind sir for the comment. its nothing fancy just took me a bit and some crashing to learn the limits of it lol.

Now will i be doing this with my 2 whizards when they get up and running?

i will not lol.
new user is offline Find More Posts by new user
Old Oct 24, 2012, 02:54 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,469 Posts
Important update

Please note the changes in the following posts:

Introduction/Rules: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...76&postcount=2

Hall of Fame: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...91&postcount=3

Special Challenges:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...32&postcount=4

Current Challenges:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...25&postcount=5

There are now huge HOF payouts for all of those up for a challenge as well as HOF points for people who just want to show off in a freestyle video
Last edited by valiantGLX; Oct 24, 2012 at 03:05 PM.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 03:04 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by new user View Post
here is my entry for the freestyle. all done with a hobbyzone champ. Disregard the background noise from my kid. I actually got it to fly upside down a couple times, nothing to far tho

http://youtu.be/3M7whhCgBxw
Yeah, okay - blah blah blah. . . So you can fly 3D. Who cares - we've seen it all before. Oh wait, was that a CHAMP you were flying 3D with?????? Was that really a HOVER at 1:08 with said CHAMP??? Did I see a brief torque roll?? AN outside loop 1'' off the ground with a CHAMP??

Ookay, you get some serious Oooooohhh's and AAaaaa's on that one. I've seen guys with 3D HS Extra's that can't do that stuff (of course, it would probably be somewhat more traumatic if they misjudged a bit than for the champ).

Great flying - this is getting fun again. Someone else - IMPRESS US!
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Oct 24, 2012, 03:21 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,469 Posts
Would anyone be interested in a Show 'n' Shine section, where we include pictures, vids and data of our flyers to also gain Hall of Fame points?
Old Oct 24, 2012, 03:23 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,647 Posts
My vote is to keep this as simple as possible. I think that's what got this derailed the first time - two many categories and too few subscribers to keep it moving. Just my thoughts
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Oct 24, 2012, 03:28 PM
OEF 10-11
United States, NC, Taylorsville
Joined Oct 2012
219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaysup View Post
Yeah, okay - blah blah blah. . . So you can fly 3D. Who cares - we've seen it all before. Oh wait, was that a CHAMP you were flying 3D with?????? Was that really a HOVER at 1:08 with said CHAMP??? Did I see a brief torque roll?? AN outside loop 1'' off the ground with a CHAMP??

Ookay, you get some serious Oooooohhh's and AAaaaa's on that one. I've seen guys with 3D HS Extra's that can't do that stuff (of course, it would probably be somewhat more traumatic if they misjudged a bit than for the champ).

Great flying - this is getting fun again. Someone else - IMPRESS US!
LOL, I dont know all the terminology just yet so sure i did that stuff Glad that was impressive

Quote:
Would anyone be interested in a Show 'n' Shine section, where we include pictures, vids and data of our flyers to also gain Hall of Fame points?
Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaysup View Post
My vote is to keep this as simple as possible. I think that's what got this derailed the first time - two many categories and too few subscribers to keep it moving. Just my thoughts
this
new user is offline Find More Posts by new user
Old Oct 25, 2012, 09:45 AM
We can rebuild it!
United Kingdom, Wales, Swffryd
Joined Apr 2010
3,617 Posts
Long time no see guys, built my first plane the other day, it's a pound shop glider conversion with 3ch heli (S107 Syma) parts. It can sort of prop hang but my skill ain't there yet.

S107 powered pound shop glider (0 min 40 sec)

Not sure I'll be able to do any challenges with it yet, need to have a proper flight it the college gym first.
djdavies83 is online now Find More Posts by djdavies83
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:43 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdavies83 View Post
Long time no see guys, built my first plane the other day, it's a pound shop glider conversion with 3ch heli (S107 Syma) parts. It can sort of prop hang but my skill ain't there yet.

Not sure I'll be able to do any challenges with it yet, need to have a proper flight it the college gym first.
Nice one

Its been a dream of mine to build something similar, but out of an mCX2 brick.

How does the rudder control feel, with the props changing speed

I wanted to do a mini f117 with dual props and elevons, with the mCX2 brick it should be possible with the 2 built in servos. I would just need to bind it in acro mode, it would even have a built in rudder gyro lol
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:22 PM
We can rebuild it!
United Kingdom, Wales, Swffryd
Joined Apr 2010
3,617 Posts
Thanks

Quote:
Nice one

Its been a dream of mine to build something similar, but out of an mCX2 brick.
Same here, I've been sitting on two sets of this glider for a couple of weeks before I had time to sit down and do it, this one took about 3hrs as it is the first one I've done, I'm sure the next ine will take less than an hour.

Quote:
How does the rudder control feel, with the props changing speed
it's strange as I expected, but I'm still new to proper fixed wing let alone an oddball like this, tail authority is totally blinding at low speed, but with the weight and wingspan of this lil guy I think the wing loading is really high, it needs to go fast!
I found it was best to start turning, drop the throttle to almost nothing for a split second and back up. I installed the counter rotation so that the blade tips moved up near the fuselage and down near wing tips, this is so that when the outer motor is moving the fastest it's prop induces a touch of torque roll, this banks the plane into the turn, you can see in the video, just before it hits the wall it's banked towards the camera.

Quote:
I wanted to do a mini f117 with dual props and elevons, with the mCX2 brick it should be possible with the 2 built in servos. I would just need to bind it in acro mode, it would even have a built in rudder gyro lol
[/QUOTE]
If your going to use one servo per controll surface you would need to setup eleven mix in your Tx, only thing with using the mCX2 brick is that for te gyro to fiction correctly the board must be mounted vertically, lookin at the shape of a f117 this should not be a problem but it would make using the servos more difficult, you could use fishing gut and go with the pull-pull method, a 90 leaver above each servo would give you back a horizontal movement.
If you would the board flat you could go with just the main motor out (main motor being the one that is directly proportional to throttle and not mixed with gyro on the yaw channel) in pull or push prop and use elevator as elevator and aileron as rudder (mixed in your Tx for elevon/Vtail).

Check out these threads for info on this topic.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1701591

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1636399
djdavies83 is online now Find More Posts by djdavies83
Old Oct 26, 2012, 08:12 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined May 2011
2,988 Posts
Here's me flying my 3dhs 33" epp extra in my front yard! Enjoy!

3DHS 33" EPP Extra front yard flying! Flight 1 (5 min 1 sec)
zmonster97 is offline Find More Posts by zmonster97
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 72" Extra flight
Old Nov 08, 2012, 04:11 AM
United States, MN, Avoca
Joined Nov 2012
81 Posts
barbaro,jaja,like it
Bigbond is offline Find More Posts by Bigbond
Old Nov 08, 2012, 04:23 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,469 Posts
Quote:
If your going to use one servo per controll surface you would need to setup eleven mix in your Tx, only thing with using the mCX2 brick is that for te gyro to fiction correctly the board must be mounted vertically, lookin at the shape of a f117 this should not be a problem but it would make using the servos more difficult
However when you plug a batt into the mcx2 you need to place it on a level surface for the gyro to initialise. I think if you arm the gyro while the brick is laying horizontally their shouldnt be an issue. But this is only in theory
Old Nov 08, 2012, 04:23 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmonster97 View Post
Here's me flying my 3dhs 33" epp extra in my front yard! Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gK4C06hORWY&feature=plcp
Flown like a boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbond View Post
barbaro,jaja,like it
OK, I understand 'Barbaro' as in over the top wild, but 'jaja' means "lick my a$$" in German lol
Last edited by valiantGLX; Nov 08, 2012 at 04:48 AM.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 04:51 AM
United States, MN, Avoca
Joined Nov 2012
81 Posts
Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBlG_...e_gdata_player

DIY,perfect
Bigbond is offline Find More Posts by Bigbond