Old May 17, 2012, 10:21 AM
MFR
just a ordinairy guy
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
357 Posts
Discussion
Type 212 scale 1:96

It seems that i've done nothing during the last period, but else is true, i got me a 212 scale 1:96, which i pressed through leaving the type XVIIb at a hold.

I'll show you guys some vid's how it's coming along.

Type 212 part 1 (5 min 25 sec)

The early stage building up the boat.

Using dual rate with the type 212 (3 min 19 sec)

Solving some issue's with the deflection of the vanes during high speed runs.

Type 212 part 2 (7 min 41 sec)

Putting all components together.

Type 212 part 3 (8 min 15 sec)

On of the first tests to see if the ballastsystem will work.

Technical stuff inside the 212. (2 min 50 sec)

I've never worked with a WTC because all my boats are dryhulls, a complete new learningcurve for me.

Type 212 part 4 (2 min 47 sec)

First attempt to get me a good balance, the foam still outside the sub.

Type 212 part 5 (2 min 55 sec)

Placed the foam inside and making some final adjustments with lead.

I know these are a lot of vids in one time, but starting up a complete buildingthread will take too much time for me.
This weekend i'll want to make the maiden of the weather is ok, she's charging
up now for the event.

Greetings Manfred.
MFR is offline Find More Posts by MFR
to remove ads between posts
Old May 17, 2012, 02:17 PM
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Nov 2009
165 Posts
Its amazing to watch your videos it reminds me of being a little and being aw stuck when I saw a cool toy. This like all your subs is no exception

keep up the good work it looks amazing.
asd9000 is offline Find More Posts by asd9000
Last edited by asd9000; May 17, 2012 at 02:27 PM.
Old May 18, 2012, 04:58 AM
MFR
just a ordinairy guy
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
357 Posts
Thanks for the compliments, like every sub i build i always give my best shot at it, this type 212 sneaked through between building the type XVIIb.
Took some more time than estimated due to some technical adjustments, like i said before this weekend i'll take the plunge into the open water.

Greetings Manfred.
Old May 18, 2012, 11:08 PM
Ladysmith Vancouver Island
Joined Feb 2008
577 Posts
"technical adjustments" ..

you mean completely going nuts on the exterior details and partially re-engineering the SD?
(refering to the wayyyy longer more detailed build thread on caswells forum )

your work is always awesome .. we will wait as long as we must to see it
Reckless is offline Find More Posts by Reckless
Old May 20, 2012, 01:52 PM
MFR
just a ordinairy guy
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
357 Posts
Ok, ok, i turned her a little bit inside out, it's a nice kit and adding some detail was a bit of a challence on this scale.
Re engineering the WTC was a differend story, the good basic layout was allready there, only had to add some items to get the system running the way i like it.

Yesterday i did the maiden, unfortunally something went wrong with saving the video's so i made a slideshow of the pictures, enjoy.

Type 212 part 6 (2 min 24 sec)

Greetings Manfred.
Old May 29, 2012, 01:34 PM
MFR
just a ordinairy guy
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
357 Posts
Yesterday whe had our annual subsail meeting, a fellow builder made a nice vid from the meeting, since i was to busy with running my zippy 212, he managed to catch it by video, enjoy

impressie subsail (4 min 4 sec)

Greetings Manfred.
Old May 30, 2012, 07:03 AM
Adelaide,Australia
Joined Dec 2009
2,363 Posts
Yeah those 212's fly! My mate Chris (aka Oztruck) has one and it is a missile underwater!

Yours looks like she will get along pretty sweetly also!!

Cheers Bruce
HeavyCruser9 is offline Find More Posts by HeavyCruser9
Old Jun 06, 2012, 10:56 AM
MFR
just a ordinairy guy
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
357 Posts
I've seen Chris his 212 on vid, it's pretty quick, from what i know from him she acts like a torpedo on full throttle.
I run mine with limited power and deflection on the rudder vanes, otherwise i can loose control at high speeds.

After the subsail i took her apart for adding some claws to this little critter, for now it seems that the second design is working, see for yourself.

Type 212 part 7 (6 min 19 sec)

Greetings Manfred.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 08:30 AM
MFR
just a ordinairy guy
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
357 Posts
I'm up and running with the internals and the rebuild of the WTC, due to adding the launchers i had to modify some things, pictures.

Adding those launchers trigger a complete event, by shoving the WTC backwards i managed to fit them in.
By doing that i had to modify all connections to the WTC.

First i hooked up the two servo's which control the lauchers seperately.

Replaced the on/off switch and chargingplug to the rear dry part, there was allready a spare rod present for the switch which i used.

Some more items had to move forward, like the connection for fastening the upperpart, the inlet for the pump and the inlet for the ballasttank.

By shoving the WTC backwards i had to shorten the controlrods and propellorshaft.

Placed in the launchers and glued them tight.

Added the toppart to see how much i have to remove from the launchertubes, still have to do that, a job for next week.

A complete view of the modified WTC complete with launchers, i still have to modify some things on the launchers and rebalance the boat.

Greetings Manfred.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 09:06 AM
MFR
just a ordinairy guy
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
357 Posts
Back on track with the type 212, she was on hold this summer because i had to do some things on my OSA II, last technical thing to do was, making the launchsystem work.

Replaced the filling hoses to the side of the breechblok, stuffed up the old hole at the back with some solder.

The complete set with the filling hoses and nipples, only problem with this kind of nipples is, in Europe you can't get the matching gasbottle for filling the torpedo's.
I decided to make some of my own, this way i can use standard butane lightergas.

First you take a lighter that you can refill, gently cut out the fillingnipple and rework it so it will fit into the new copper holder.

Just to show the difference between both nipples, mine i can use for butane gas.

Last step in rebuilding was, connecting the hoses to the fillingnipple and glue them tight to prevent leaking.

Also made some testtrails inside the shop to see if my modification would work.

Type 212 part 8 (4 min 42 sec)

Next step will be solving the airbubble problem which i encountered during underwater trails during the last meeting, i will take the tubes apart and make some slits, this way the air can escape out of the tube.
Then again i have to test if the problem has gone by doing testtrails in the bath tub, it keeps me busy.

Manfred.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:25 AM
MFR
just a ordinairy guy
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
357 Posts
Also had to change the tubes, i has a airbubble problem, last meeting i noticed that the boat was off balance when submerged, by standing her on her tail some airbubbles escaped the launchtubes.

To counter this problem i took both tubes apart for some treatement, stuffed all the loose parts into a box.

Took the dremel with a grindingdisk and made some slits on top and below the tubes, so air can escape during submerging.

A dryfitt with a gastorpedo after i cleaned up the tubes, just to ensure they will get out easely.

Rebuilded both tubes and placed them inside the nose of the 212.

And now the fun part, yesterday i did some testing inside the bath, it revealed some problems, still have to tinker them.

Type 212 part 9 (4 min 53 sec)

Manfred.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:13 AM
Rochester,NY
Joined Apr 2007
281 Posts
Very nice work. I do have a question for you. Does the bouyancy of the torpedos themselves effect the trim of the boat? Greg
Greg W is offline Find More Posts by Greg W
Old Sep 29, 2012, 10:58 AM
MFR
just a ordinairy guy
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
357 Posts
Thanks Greg,

Slowly i'm getting there, about the bouyancy, since you will fill up the torps totally with liquid gas they won't float, the torpedo will be replaced by the same amount of water after firing from the launchtube.
When the torpedo has released some gas it will start to float, no sooner.
This, in theory will not influence the balance of your boat, i only have to take account for the new position of the breechblock when fired, but it will reveal itself during the next testingstrails.

Manfred.
Last edited by MFR; Sep 29, 2012 at 02:42 PM.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 12:36 PM
MFR
just a ordinairy guy
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
357 Posts
I spent some more hours inside the shop to solve some problems, fixed the leak, and tried another testrun in the bath.
Only made one attempt, and it worked just fine, now it's time to rebalance the boat and try some shots while being submerged.

Type 212 part 10 (1 min 31 sec)

Manfred.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 10:03 PM
Cut the yellow wire
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
8,996 Posts
That is too cool. Nice work.
CarreraGTSCS is online now Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303