HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:42 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,956 Posts
Quote:
Its a no no, that definitely could have done it.
Yeah, that must have been it. As I think back I was range testing and swaping antennas a couple of weeks ago. I may have turned the TX off at first but eventually I am sure I didn't. I also was surprised at some point to find that the range seemed much less than my first measurements. I didn't make any connection at the time and just thought maybe I had forgotten to push the range check button but now I am pretty sure I greatly reduced the range of the TX module, maybe all at once or maybe gradually as I continued to swap antennas. I think somehow the circuit to the antenna was greatly compromised, but not completely killed, so it was very confusing to sort out. I kept thinking there was something wrong with the antenna configuration on the receivers and tried all kinds of different positions. But in the end that was not the problem. In any case the new module works great and yet another in an endless list of "lessons" was learned.
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:18 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotozuk View Post
They asked me to source some servos for them, but I dropped the ball. Thought we had a cure. My bad.

-Wayne
Sure would help out the hand launch crowd if you could look into why the digital Jrs jitter and waste current. I tried the Jr 281, 285, 290 and 287 - all jitter when used with a Telemetry receiver. More so with the D6R and D4R but it does happen with the D8R. Even the larger 368 jittered.

Aluminum tape and ferrite beads helped very little. Better than nothing but not enough to want to use in filght.

thanks

Frank
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:19 PM
USA, MA, Northfield
Joined Sep 2005
627 Posts
giving up for now

Not going to try and modify the tx module pins on the old Apollo (JR) tx. Will try and get a compatible (used) tx here on rcg. Thanks for the help RENATOA. cheers jim
jim e is offline Find More Posts by jim e
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:44 PM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
These problems are starting to sound bad!. Could it be time for me to buy a Immersion UHF system? I have the money saved .
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:49 PM
Dean
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Apr 2005
3,796 Posts
Don't panic just yet, Goldsworthy.....a few problems so far with thousands of units out in the hands of (some) people who don't fully understand what they are working with is a pretty darn good ratio. NOTHING is bullet proof!
A10FLYR is online now Find More Posts by A10FLYR
Old Dec 13, 2012, 06:01 PM
Wait...what?
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Sep 2010
819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A10FLYR View Post
Don't panic just yet, Goldsworthy.....a few problems so far with thousands of units out in the hands of (some) people who don't fully understand what they are working with is a pretty darn good ratio. NOTHING is bullet proof!
He'll be alright he just likes to have something to complain about, like how long shipping takes from HK. Right goldsworthy?
gbmarsh is offline Find More Posts by gbmarsh
Old Dec 13, 2012, 06:13 PM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
5,659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod155 View Post
suggestion for the X9D.

please put a 3 position switch on top left, and a 2 position switch on the top right. This is the standard setup. For helicopters you want your idle up on the left, and throttle hold on the right.

for some reason walkera did this backwards, and i've see a couple others that are backwards.
You're waaaaay late for making suggestions. X9D design is set in stone. Now the X16D --- maybe.
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 13, 2012, 06:23 PM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
5,659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by debianhot View Post
Picture , manuals ?
Please !
It's about the size and weight of the VD5M receiver. Has resolution finer than the firmware can display. Has connections to be backward compatible, with connections for the future (serial) as well.
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:50 AM
Beaumont ,peoples republic of Kalifornia
Joined Jan 2004
224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott page View Post
It's about the size and weight of the VD5M receiver. Has resolution finer than the firmware can display. Has connections to be backward compatible, with connections for the future (serial) as well.
Hubless vario ? Size of vd5m ? I have to have one of those....

Wayne ? You're beta testing ? How long before you get them to sell ?
debogus is online now Find More Posts by debogus
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:36 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,956 Posts
Help needed with binding.

I finally got it to bind so problem is solved. II am not sure how or why but I'll take it.
Last edited by u2builder; Dec 14, 2012 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Finally started working.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:11 AM
Aloft Hobbies
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by debogus View Post
Hubless vario ? Size of vd5m ? I have to have one of those....

Wayne ? You're beta testing ? How long before you get them to sell ?
That depends on FrSky. Once they are done with the Beta program, they usually go into production pretty quick.

-Wayne
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:13 AM
Aloft Hobbies
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder View Post
Here's another question: how loud is the RSSI "beep" from the module when a telemetry RX is used and the signal gets low. I am kind of hard of hearing and often miss hearing the timer beep on my Futaba 9C. I know it hard to describe, but I am just curious about the sound level of the beep. Thanks.
If you do not hear your timer beeper right now, you will probably not hear the module alarms either. The new transmitter will have a head phone jack and speech, so that may be a solution for you..?

-Wayne
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:13 AM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbmarsh View Post
He'll be alright he just likes to have something to complain about, like how long shipping takes from HK. Right goldsworthy?
YEP! I have a large order that left Hong Kong on the 6th of this month. Then the tracking number as well as the package disappeared from the radar screen.
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 14, 2012, 02:56 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,956 Posts
Solved my original post here, so I'll ask another question:

In Frsky literature the D8R-II plus lists a range of 1.5 km+ The D8R-XP lists a range of 1.5+. Does anyone know if there is likely to be a difference in range between these two receivers or should they be very similar?

The (older) literature indicates the range of the V8R7-SP as being 1.5 to 2.5 km; is the range of this receiver actually greater than the two way receivers mentioned above, or are they all basically the same?

Second, I know the Ebay RSSI-DAC work with the D8R-II plus; does it also work with the D8R-XP which I would prefer to order if it has more range.

Thanks!
Last edited by u2builder; Dec 15, 2012 at 07:08 AM. Reason: Solved original problem
Old Dec 15, 2012, 07:34 AM
Happy FPV flyer
Switzerland
Joined Sep 2006
4,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder View Post
In Frsky literature the D8R-II plus lists a range of 1.5 km+ The D8R-XP lists a range of 1.5+. Does anyone know if there is likely to be a difference in range between these two receivers or should they be very similar?
Both receivers have exactly identical hardware, only the firmware is different (offers PPM and RSSI on the XP), and you can flash a II-Plus with the XP's firmware if you want.
Kilrah is online now Find More Posts by Kilrah