Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 21, 2012, 06:21 PM
efx
Rookie in training, heads up
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,194 Posts
Checking mail again...well it looks like the JIT from hobbyking took 17 days! This was from purchase to shipping. Everything was supposed to be in stock too. I think the shipping is worst than before, but hopefully they'll take care of things. The good news is that I've been playing with my 450 but I got one question. I hit a tree branch and just hit the cut off switch. Luckidly only the tail blade and shaft bent. So I got that fixed, but then went back to the park to practice my basic hovering and found that the gy48v from hobbyking started acting up. The light blinks when I hit the switch on heading hold/uprate and before it used to be solid. So in short, I had to tweak the tail with just rate mode. I figured I would have to learn to fly that anyway. Which is funny since I think I did more trials and errors to hover this way than with my heading hold. It was hard, but I kept that thing on the air a bit more than before since I had to really just do it. Crazy I know, but I just do what works for me. In any case, can this gyro be fixed? I'm wondering if something just got knocked off when it hit the ground at the park. I've been taking off dirt but it's grass around. I just couldn't fly with the heding hold on since it got crazy once in the air now. At least the number of parts I'm killing is becoming a bit less. Just took out one more servo this afternoon so this is good.
efx is offline Find More Posts by efx
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by efx; Feb 21, 2012 at 07:04 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2012, 06:43 PM
AMA# 548800
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
4,822 Posts
the gy48v is the hobby partz one . usually and this goes with the hk 401 , on the ground just plug the battery in have it on hh and dont touch it till it goes red solid . if it dosent try toggling between rate and hh 4 or 5 times , it will blink and reset . usally a fast or blinking red light means it didnt initialize right .something happened , either the heli got moved or the rx was too slow to see it .
sometimes in a crash it may be something knocked loose inside , open it up and see . if you want i have both of those gyros and can open them up and take pictures to see if they match
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
Old Feb 21, 2012, 06:58 PM
efx
Rookie in training, heads up
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,194 Posts
Thanks Jombo, you're right, the hobbypartz gyro. I have 3 of them. I'll open it up when I get home. It was working fine until after the crash and I just noticed that when I went back to the park. I did try what you said, just not 4 times. I have a feeling it got a good jolt since the heli landed on the tail blade which is what saved it after I hit the tree. Second tree that gets in the way. I also added another site for another 250 kit I found. Copterx, just different vendor here in the US.
efx is offline Find More Posts by efx
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by efx; Feb 21, 2012 at 07:08 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:36 AM
No Longer Active
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
talk about gyros has anyone here tried this one yet in their 250s?

http://www.buyincoins.com/details/di...duct-5068.html

pitchp is offline Find More Posts by pitchp
Old Feb 23, 2012, 05:23 AM
Never trust laughing dolphins
Joined Feb 2011
2,085 Posts
I'd get a cloned gyro that doesn't pretend to be a genuine thing instead. (Even when the Futaba GY550 doesn't exist if I'm not mistaken.)

I'd grab the Tarot one instead, which goes for about the same price:

http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale/...king-gyro.html

Seems I had jumped the gun, it seems to be the same Tarot gyro, just labeled as Futaba on that page. Pictures show the Tarot gyro.

Oh, and nope, haven't tried it yet, but it looks good.
PHMX is offline Find More Posts by PHMX
Old Feb 23, 2012, 07:52 AM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
11,755 Posts
Never seen a futaba GY550 maybe why Futaba don't make it or did you mean GY520
mhills51 is online now Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 23, 2012, 08:04 AM
Joined Feb 2011
2,085 Posts
No, you're right the GY550 doesn't seem to exist as a genuine Futaba product even when the GY520 looks similar to me, but I was talking about the title on that webpage.

It mentioned Futaba GY550, when it showed the Tarot GY550 product.

It might in fact be nothing more but an honest mistake. Elsewhere you'll find that gyro under it's correct name.

Its all nitpicking when the performance of that Tarot gyro is any good though, I'm all for cheap gyros.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 08:26 AM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
11,755 Posts
I think you will see the price on all the single axis gyros hit the dirt soon.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:02 AM
Joined Feb 2011
2,085 Posts
I hope so. I'm in need of a cheap one for another scale project.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 09:55 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Mar 2011
341 Posts
About gyro I can just say, that I am still very happy with the GA250 and Olliw's Firmware. Now I am really flying my 250.

Regarding my blade tracking issue, I did what someone mentioned and got the Align 75 degress damper rubbers. Yesterday night it looked like the blades do track now. But I have to check it at daylight again to be sure. I am not using plastic blades. Have a bunch of them and probably will use them again one day. They make crashes cheaper.

The swash plate makes me concerned. There is so much play, really frustrating. When I find out today that the tracking issue is not yet resolved, I will be the swash for sure. I can twist my rotorblades for about more than 3 (!) degrees.

To go for the Align swash I would call already "investment" its something like $20. Worth the investment most would say and I guess it makes no sense to buy a spare one from Hobbyking...
HolgiB is offline Find More Posts by HolgiB
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:19 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
11,755 Posts
Yes get the align. Also the $20 align tail is worth it as well, but I would wait and get the PRO tail or the torque tail.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:31 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Mar 2011
341 Posts
My HK tail is really OK. No play at all and I can still use the cheap HK shafts. The upcoming purchase of the swash makes me thinking of buying the original Super Combo. Its here about $350. The Align ESC is also nice as you can switch BEC voltages. Now I added a separate BEC to have my servos run at 6V.

Well lets see... also want to get a 600 and it would be HK again. Maybe I have to live with the frustration that some of the clone parts are really crap and have to spent at least for them money.
HolgiB is offline Find More Posts by HolgiB
Old Feb 23, 2012, 11:28 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
11,755 Posts
I just got done building a 450pro from the ground up with the best parts that the clones had to offer. Never add it up!! I could of gotten the align cheaper. You would think I would of learned after doing the same thing with the 250.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 24, 2012, 05:44 AM
Joined Jan 2011
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HolgiB View Post
The swash plate makes me concerned. There is so much play, really frustrating. When I find out today that the tracking issue is not yet resolved, I will be the swash for sure. I can twist my rotorblades for about more than 3 (!) degrees.

To go for the Align swash I would call already "investment" its something like $20. Worth the investment most would say and I guess it makes no sense to buy a spare one from Hobbyking...
HolgiB, I had the same problem and ordered a hk replacement. The new one is much better. I'd say 1 degree slop at maximum. I don't know whether I was lucky with the good one, or both of us were unlucky with the bad ones. Just telling that it worked for me.
robbancs is offline Find More Posts by robbancs
Old Feb 24, 2012, 05:47 AM
No Longer Active
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhills51 View Post
I think you will see the price on all the single axis gyros hit the dirt soon.
This is inevitable my brother One day we will see spartan quarks at a price of $20 brand new in the box!
pitchp is offline Find More Posts by pitchp