New Products Flash Sale
Old Today, 02:27 AM
Find More Posts by HansL
Belgium
Joined May 2012
95 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7oneWo1f View Post
If I remember correctly, my 48" MXS doesn't have blind nuts.
The SGFs of my MXS 48" are fixed with bolts (accordingly to the assembly manual) and not with screws, so there have to be blind nuts.

3 out of 4 bolts grip into the nuts, but 1 does not.
HansL is online now Find More Posts by HansL
to remove ads between posts
Old Today, 02:47 AM
Find More Posts by MadMonkey572
Boooriiiiing.
United States, TX, Roanoke
Joined Sep 2006
1,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansL View Post
The SGFs of my MXS 48" are fixed with bolts (accordingly to the assembly manual) and not with screws, so there have to be blind nuts.

3 out of 4 bolts grip into the nuts, but 1 does not.
Mine didn't have any blind nuts. I used wood screws
MadMonkey572 is online now Find More Posts by MadMonkey572
Old Today, 05:41 AM
Find More Posts by HansL
Belgium
Joined May 2012
95 Posts
Well, it seems that indeed there are no nuts... As far as I can see I think that the bolts grip into an epoxy/glasfiber plate ?

In my case one of the bolts does not grip into the thread which does not allow me to fix the SFG and wingtip. Woodscrew is not an option anymore, because there is no space left to make it grip into the wood...

I'm disappointed, I would never have expected that from an EF kit. The only way to fix a bolt in a durable way is by making use of a (blind) nut.
Old Today, 06:55 AM
Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
7,490 Posts
Quote:
Well, it seems that indeed there are no nuts... As far as I can see I think that the bolts grip into an epoxy/glasfiber plate ?

In my case one of the bolts does not grip into the thread which does not allow me to fix the SFG and wingtip. Woodscrew is not an option anymore, because there is no space left to make it grip into the wood...

I'm disappointed, I would never have expected that from an EF kit. The only way to fix a bolt in a durable way is by making use of a (blind) nut.
If you had to drill the other three holes, then you either damaged the nuts or there were no nuts. It there is epoxy in the area you drilled, just fill the problem hole with epoxy, then re-drill and use a screw.

The bolts/screws for the tips and SFGs do not need to be tightened very hard at all. Snug is all that is needed.
YellowJacketsRC is online now Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old Today, 07:17 AM
Find More Posts by HansL
Belgium
Joined May 2012
95 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowJacketsRC View Post
If you had to drill the other three holes, then you either damaged the nuts or there were no nuts. It there is epoxy in the area you drilled, just fill the problem hole with epoxy, then re-drill and use a screw.

The bolts/screws for the tips and SFGs do not need to be tightened very hard at all. Snug is all that is needed.
There were no visible openings for the bolts, so I only drilled the balsa wing tip off course (2mm deep, not more). Below the balsa wingrib I would have expected nuts, it seems there is expoy with thread. That works for 3 bolts, but not for the 4th.

It's very annoying to have a gap of 3 or 4 mm between the wingrib and SFG at the LE after every flight.

I'll figure something out to solve it.
Old Today, 07:23 AM
Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
7,490 Posts
Quote:
There were no visible openings for the bolts, so I only drilled the balsa wing tip off course (2mm deep, not more). Below the balsa wingrib I would have expected nuts, it seems there is expoy with thread. That works for 3 bolts, but not for the 4th.

It's very annoying to have a gap of 3 or 4 mm between the wingrib and SFG at the LE after every flight.

I'll figure something out to solve it.
sorry for trouble. If you want to go through the trouble, I once used a guitar string to replace the blind nut that fell out of my 48" Edge.

If you can get the string to go through the hole and work it's wan to the open end of the wing next to the fuse, you can slide a blind nut on it, tie a knot, and then pull it back through the wing and into the hole at the wing tip. It is very frustrating to get it to work, but....
YellowJacketsRC is online now Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old Today, 07:51 AM
Find More Posts by Gregertman
United States, IL, Glenwood
Joined Nov 2013
1,387 Posts
Here's some Picts of how I fixed my edge when the SFG nuts got ripped out. I used medium CA and small countersink screws to attach the new rib plate that I made out of basswood. I put blind nuts in the plate. When I was done I covered the plate befor I glued it on for the final time. I also removed the covering on the original outside rib so it will have a wood to wood surface for the CA to stick to. I hope this helps. It's actuly a easy repair. Once you have all the supply's you need it only takes about 1hour.
Gregertman is online now Find More Posts by Gregertman