HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 14, 2014, 02:51 PM
Joined Mar 2007
766 Posts
Discussion
Scratch built foamies

Are scrach built the same as 3D foamies? Can scratch built foamies fly as good as store bought 3D foamies? Thanks Ron
darticus is offline Find More Posts by darticus
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2014, 04:22 PM
Joined Jun 2014
150 Posts
I have designed and published many 3D Foamies, yes they fly as good, truthfully some of mine fly even better
But it is the cost and time,,,. with the trend luckily becoming cheaper and cheaper in recent years, it is actually cheaper to buy a kit than to scratchbuild. Even Foamies with aerofoils which were traditionally on the more expensive side are as cheap as flat sheet Foamies.
Harlem is offline Find More Posts by Harlem
Old Oct 14, 2014, 05:01 PM
Joined Mar 2007
766 Posts
Thanks for getting back. I have built several foamies years ago and plan to try them again once my radio gets here. Than I would like a good quality foamy to try and see how they compare. Really don't know which is a good quality foamy but the Twisted hobbies 24 inch single wing sounds good. Included some older pics. Thanks Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem View Post
I have designed and published many 3D Foamies, yes they fly as good, truthfully some of mine fly even better
But it is the cost and time,,,. with the trend luckily becoming cheaper and cheaper in recent years, it is actually cheaper to buy a kit than to scratchbuild. Even Foamies with aerofoils which were traditionally on the more expensive side are as cheap as flat sheet Foamies.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 06:35 AM
Dickinson, Tx.
Joined Sep 2004
5,363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darticus View Post
Are scrach built the same as 3D foamies? Can scratch built foamies fly as good as store bought 3D foamies? Thanks Ron
My opinion is, they fly just as good. The main expense is the electronics, but they can be switched over to a new scratch build fairly easy. It doesn't take too long to print the PDF's and cut out the foam. The plus is you will find a favorite plane and build many, for me it is the 3DX

Challenger413
Challenger 413 is offline Find More Posts by Challenger 413
Old Oct 16, 2014, 07:18 AM
Joined Mar 2007
766 Posts
Thanks will check it out. Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger 413 View Post
My opinion is, they fly just as good. The main expense is the electronics, but they can be switched over to a new scratch build fairly easy. It doesn't take too long to print the PDF's and cut out the foam. The plus is you will find a favorite plane and build many, for me it is the 3DX

Challenger413