SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 06, 2014, 03:37 PM
Keith Thomas
United States, NM, Portales
Joined Feb 2010
1,128 Posts
Discussion
Lipo's for Jets?

Lipos…………. I have been looking around at the variety of Lipos available. I currently run, Gens Ace, Sky, Nano Tech, some small Glaciers and a few old TP.

The question is what is everyone running? Is there something new out there that would hold up to high amp EDF. I know sometimes you can’t have both, what’s the best bang for the buck.
keithtsr is online now Find More Posts by keithtsr
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2014, 03:48 PM
St. Mary, Maryland, United States
Joined Dec 1996
8,369 Posts
Gens Ace and Glacier are the same I think, both excellent in the lower C varieties believe it or not. Dinogy is good and you can get the higher capacities if you are in to the big stuff.
Chris True is offline Find More Posts by Chris True
Old Oct 06, 2014, 03:51 PM
who dares wins
London,England
Joined Apr 2005
1,850 Posts
Judging by recent tests Dinogy and Revoelectrix silver HV. Note these Revoelectrix are a different chemistry, where max charge is 4.27v and nominal is 3.8v per cell. 4.2v on these equates to 92% of the rated capacity.
like2fly! is offline Find More Posts by like2fly!
Old Oct 06, 2014, 03:52 PM
nom
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Mar 2011
1,806 Posts
My vote is Glacier.
nom is online now Find More Posts by nom
Old Oct 06, 2014, 04:16 PM
Mulit-Platform Pilot
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Sep 2004
3,292 Posts
Been using a lot of AGA Power packs with good success and great customer service.
barracudahockey is offline Find More Posts by barracudahockey
Old Oct 06, 2014, 04:39 PM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,613 Posts
On the Revoelectrix , aren't the 6s shipped as split packs??
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Oct 06, 2014, 05:31 PM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
3,004 Posts
Love my Gens Ace. I think Pulse are the same batteries, just different label and warranty.
4stripes is offline Find More Posts by 4stripes
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some photos of the EDF fleet!
Old Oct 06, 2014, 06:01 PM
C.E.R.N. field tester
United States, NE
Joined Sep 2012
1,030 Posts
+1 for Glaciers. They just simply work. Good customer service too.
supercollider is online now Find More Posts by supercollider
Old Oct 06, 2014, 09:04 PM
Calm before the storm
United States, TX, Bullard
Joined Jun 2014
66 Posts
Using Turnigy batteries currently. They are cost effective but havent had enough cycles to tell if they are going to hold their life.
Flyboy81 is online now Find More Posts by Flyboy81
Old Oct 06, 2014, 09:21 PM
Keith Thomas
Joined Feb 2010
1,128 Posts
One battery I have not mentioned is Spyder batteries from Progressive RC. They are only 30c but they hold up well in heli's. I think heli's flying 3D eat as many amps as we do in EDF.

The reason I started this was a search for a better battery at an affordable price. I have a JTM Viper Jet with a 90mm JetFan running 10s Sky, 4400 and can only get a 2 minute run. On 9s it will go 2 1/2 minutes. I tried Nano Tech 65c, 5000 and got maybe 30 seconds more on both 9 and 10s. Both batteries only have about 20 cycles maybe a little more. If that's as good as it get's them that what I will live with. I own quite a few EDF's and get the short flight time thing and I'm ok with it but it would be nice to get 4 minutes or so.

Soooooo I thought it would be good just to see what's out there before I start spending some cash.
Old Oct 06, 2014, 10:11 PM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,613 Posts
Who's motor and what is the Kv?
TIA
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Oct 06, 2014, 10:13 PM
Keith Thomas
Joined Feb 2010
1,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolerByTheLake View Post
Who's motor and what is the Kv?
TIA
It's a HET 700-68-1400.
Old Oct 07, 2014, 02:48 AM
who dares wins
London,England
Joined Apr 2005
1,850 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithtsr View Post
One battery I have not mentioned is Spyder batteries from Progressive RC. They are only 30c but they hold up well in heli's. I think heli's flying 3D eat as many amps as we do in EDF.

The reason I started this was a search for a better battery at an affordable price. I have a JTM Viper Jet with a 90mm JetFan running 10s Sky, 4400 and can only get a 2 minute run. On 9s it will go 2 1/2 minutes. I tried Nano Tech 65c, 5000 and got maybe 30 seconds more on both 9 and 10s. Both batteries only have about 20 cycles maybe a little more. If that's as good as it get's them that what I will live with. I own quite a few EDF's and get the short flight time thing and I'm ok with it but it would be nice to get 4 minutes or so.

Soooooo I thought it would be good just to see what's out there before I start spending some cash.
Throttle management is the only way to significantly improve the flight time with current lipo tech.
like2fly! is offline Find More Posts by like2fly!
Old Oct 07, 2014, 11:42 AM
Swat Team Member
LV, NV
Joined Apr 2003
629 Posts
Thunder Power

For Jets I trust nothing but Thunder Power, especially in my BVM Electra.

P. Richards aka SwatTeam
P. Richards is offline Find More Posts by P. Richards
Old Oct 07, 2014, 01:59 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by like2fly! View Post
Judging by recent tests Dinogy and Revoelectrix silver HV. Note these Revoelectrix are a different chemistry, where max charge is 4.27v and nominal is 3.8v per cell. 4.2v on these equates to 92% of the rated capacity.
How can we be sure our chargers are capable of charging these packs properly and that we don't over-discharge them in practice? I have a Powerlab setup, I guess I'll actually have to break out the instructions and set up a new "Revolectrix" profile and read the instruction manual, "GASP" At least the computer programming link makes it easy to do this. Do you have a link to the technical data where there were tests on these packs? I've been wanting to try these but I'm less than enthused to purchase packs I'll under charge, over discharge and puff if I operate them like a quality Lipo pack so I know I'll have to bone up on the specs before buying.

I've had awesome luck with TP packs since 2003 and I've been a long time supporter. But unless there have been recent pricing changes, TP packs are simply not competitive enough in pricing today to keep up with their lack of differential in performance today.
I've had equally good luck with Dinogy packs but they are priced much more aggressively, my most recent packs are Dinogys and I've been really happy with them (so far).

My next choice would be a toss up between Admiral 60C and Gens Ace. I've had a hard time finding Gens Ace in good availability - hit and miss, that's my only complaint. These are good packs but they are not a heavy hitting as TP or Dinogy IMHO. I haven't tried the other brands like Glacier or others yet.

My last choice would be Turnigy. These are great value packs but in my experience Turnigy doesn't hold up to heavy jet use and they are way too heavy in general. Great warbird and sport packs for sure, but not great jet packs.
Eddie P is online now Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member