HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 11, 2014, 10:39 AM
Sweden
Joined Nov 2004
105 Posts
Idea
Glue Mylar covering on Depron

Hi. I have search for glue to attach Mylar to Depron frame and did some thinking about what I wanted and not wanted.
I don't want spray cans because you (I) get overspray everywhere, it can do damage to Depron if you got the wrong stuff and it's expensive.

I wanted a glue thin as water that I could brush on with a brush and dries to a very thin sticky film I liked UHU POR but it's a little difficult to apply, but if it was thin as water..

I had always thought that there was a familiar smell when I opened the UHU POR tube, and I was interested where it came from. I search for the safety card from the UHU company and found that it contained "Leichtbentzin" same as lighter fluid (petrol) of to the shop and get some (now I can use my old Zippo to). I mixed the UHU POR with it and got a thin as water solution that not affected the Depron and that I could use with a brush without clogging and its possible to put on a second coat if the first is too thin, just brush it on with a wet brush and I can get the glue exactly were I want it to be. Then proceed with the Mylar the same way as with spraycan glue or what you like.

Sorry for the bad English
/Lennart
aeroparts is offline Find More Posts by aeroparts
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2014, 10:52 AM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
6,984 Posts
We also use UHU but found the spray glue by Borden Elmer for art and craft works very well - just a whisk across the airframe - then -with mylar smoothed on the table -we press the airframe against it.
Borden Elmer adhesives may/may not be available in Sweden -
richard hanson is offline Find More Posts by richard hanson
Old Feb 11, 2014, 11:04 AM
Sweden
Joined Nov 2004
105 Posts
I have tried a lot of spray glue but all have their drawbacks and It was those I wanted to get away from. And the thinned UHU POR was the solution for me.
I will stick to it.....ops
/Lennart
Old Feb 11, 2014, 11:39 AM
"Free" in Christ!
United States, CA, SF
Joined Jan 2012
863 Posts
I use 3M Super 77 spray glue, kinda messy, but works well.

Free
Free is offline Find More Posts by Free
Old Feb 11, 2014, 12:03 PM
Sweden
Joined Nov 2004
105 Posts
Just read the first post and you will see that I already have tested the most spray way and only wanted to let you know of another way.
/Lennart
Old Feb 11, 2014, 12:25 PM
Intermediate Multi
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
3,292 Posts
I'm surprised the lighter fluid didn't dissolve the Depron.
Trisquire is online now Find More Posts by Trisquire
Old Feb 11, 2014, 12:41 PM
"Free" in Christ!
United States, CA, SF
Joined Jan 2012
863 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroparts View Post
Just read the first post and you will see that I already have tested the most spray way and only wanted to let you know of another way.
/Lennart
I am sorry, I only skimmed your first post.
But I still like 3M 77.

Free
Free is offline Find More Posts by Free
Old Feb 14, 2014, 05:56 AM
A.K.A sir Crashalot
Ístersund, SWEDEN
Joined Sep 2005
915 Posts
Thanks Lennart. I'll sertanly be off buying a new can of zippofluid
I've been wanting to thin out UHU-Por for years... for micro use.

/Ulf
methuso is online now Find More Posts by methuso