HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 13, 2013, 12:34 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8 Posts
Discussion
Topmodel Navaho tail tube alignment

My topmodel navaho kit has an extra instruction sheet referring to the plywood bulkhead that is intended to align the carbon tube correctly. But using this ply piece angles the tube downwards, unlike the alignment in the main instructions, i.e. would give negative angle of incidence of the wing relative to stabiliser plane.

Can anyone provide advice on this? My temptation is to re-shape the included former in order to align the CF tube as shown in the main instructions.
npomeroy is offline Find More Posts by npomeroy
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2013, 01:48 PM
Central UK
Joined May 2003
184 Posts
I know just what you mean as I had exactly the same problem a couple of years ago with a Navaho.
I e-mailed Topmodel, which was a complete waste of time because all they told me was what I says in the instructions - they didn't seem to understand that the hole in the ply bulkhead, which locates the front end of the fuselage boom, was in the wrong place.
Eventually I just made a new bulkhead with the hole slightly lower, which raised the boom to the correct angle relative to the pod. I actually drew the complete pod and boom out on paper first so as to give the correct centre line from the centre of the motor bulkhead back to the centre of the rear of the boom and then measured the amount that the hole needed to be moved - it isn't actually very much.
It really doesn't take much making.
Slightly annoying I know but quite easy to fix.

I hope this helps.

Dave.
DACH is offline Find More Posts by DACH
Old Apr 15, 2013, 12:39 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8 Posts
OK thanks Dave. I haven't glued the boom in yet but find that if I turn the ply bulkhead upside down the orientation is correct. I haven't pushed it back to a tight fit so the fact that it is a poor shape to fit the fuselage section (when inverted) is not a big worry. I'll glue in some balsa blocks where necessary to fill the gaps.
Nelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACH View Post
I know just what you mean as I had exactly the same problem a couple of years ago with a Navaho.
I e-mailed Topmodel, which was a complete waste of time because all they told me was what I says in the instructions - they didn't seem to understand that the hole in the ply bulkhead, which locates the front end of the fuselage boom, was in the wrong place.
Eventually I just made a new bulkhead with the hole slightly lower, which raised the boom to the correct angle relative to the pod. I actually drew the complete pod and boom out on paper first so as to give the correct centre line from the centre of the motor bulkhead back to the centre of the rear of the boom and then measured the amount that the hole needed to be moved - it isn't actually very much.
It really doesn't take much making.
Slightly annoying I know but quite easy to fix.

I hope this helps.

Dave.
npomeroy is offline Find More Posts by npomeroy