HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 03, 2013, 10:43 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Jan 2011
4,043 Posts
Discussion
Cheapest/Best way to get into competition sailplanes?

I've been flying for a few years, everything from warbirds to aerobats to micros to 1/4 scale, but only just recently I got a chance to try out gliders. I flew a friend's radian for an hour or two and caught a thermal...and I had a blast! on my second flight I kept it up for 45 minutes and loved every second.

So my question is, since so far I really like sailplanes, what would be the best way to get into doing it competitively? I think I'll like the challenge. I'm not looking to put an extreme amount of money into it, and I'm not really sure what kinds of sailplane competitions are out there, but I think I definitely want to try it out. That radian was just too fun to fly.

I think I'm interested in either an electric glider or a DLG for right now, unless there are other good options to bring to the table.
Endlesslag is online now Find More Posts by Endlesslag
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 03, 2013, 10:49 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,792 Posts
There are used, competitive gliders for sale very often in the FS/W section. Welcome to our madness... Enjoy!!!
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Apr 04, 2013, 07:46 AM
Fly it like you STOL it!
Joined Jan 2011
4,043 Posts
I'm sure I will! I guess another big question is whether or not there are any events around my area..I've checked all the local clubs and none of them have sailplane events. Just IMAC, funflies, and heli flies. Is there a list anywhere? I checked the RCG calendar and didn't see much.
Old Apr 04, 2013, 08:14 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,116 Posts
flyesl.org

Most TD and DLG contests on the East coast are listed there.
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
Old Apr 04, 2013, 08:26 AM
United States, PA, Perry
Joined Apr 2002
492 Posts
http://www.soarcasa.org/

A large soaring club in the DC area, ESL puts on a large soaring event just below Warrenton/Culpepper area at Horsefeathers ranch, a private airstrip close to you. Bill G.
Hawksnest is offline Find More Posts by Hawksnest
Old Apr 04, 2013, 09:11 AM
Fly it like you STOL it!
Joined Jan 2011
4,043 Posts
Awesome, I think I'll check them out! I'm going to a swap meet on saturday and getting rid of some stuff. If there's a decent looking DLG there I think I might snag it, looks like fun to me. If I get the hang of it I might enter the horsefeathers competition in the sportsman class.

I'm a member at the fredericksburg club (FARCC) and they have an awesome field I can practice on. I think there might be one or two guys who fly sailplanes there who I will get in touch with and see if they can show me the ropes.
Old Apr 04, 2013, 10:21 AM
Duane
No. VA
Joined Nov 2004
1,441 Posts
Note that the Horsefeathers contests are winch-launch only. Are you looking for a sailplane to fly in contests, or to be competitive? Performance costs money, so cheapest and competition don't necessarily go together.

If you want to fly electric for sport, you can install a tow hook and remove propeller blades to fly in a winch-launch contest, but it won't be quite as good as a pure sailplane.
Wazmo is online now Find More Posts by Wazmo
Old Apr 04, 2013, 10:31 AM
United States, PA, Perry
Joined Apr 2002
492 Posts
ESL at Horsefeathers has a Woody sailplane class also, for built up wood frame airplanes, and allow glass fuses with built up wings and tails. Most older RC flyers have a couple laying around they might sell. Bill G.
Hawksnest is offline Find More Posts by Hawksnest
Last edited by Hawksnest; Apr 04, 2013 at 10:32 AM. Reason: add a word
Old Apr 04, 2013, 12:00 PM
Duane
No. VA
Joined Nov 2004
1,441 Posts
I'm not aware of a woody category. The CASA Open (fall contest) has a RES category, which tends to be mostly woodies, but I've seen AVAs fly in that class before.
Wazmo is online now Find More Posts by Wazmo
Old Apr 04, 2013, 01:42 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,978 Posts
Get a DLG. They will teach you everything about gliding better than the big 3m TD ships IMHO. You can get 3 DLG's for the price of one TD ship.
davidjensen is online now Find More Posts by davidjensen
Old Apr 04, 2013, 02:35 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
8,116 Posts
CASA has a contest for hand launch Aug 17 and 18

details and registraton here:
http://www.flyesl.org/Contest.aspx?contestid=148

There is also a hand launch contest at TImonium, Md on June 1 and 2
http://www.flyesl.org/Contest.aspx?contestid=154

and another at Salisbury, Md on July 13 and 14
http://www.flyesl.org/Contest.aspx?contestid=151

Just to name a few in Maryland.

Even if you do not fly, go to whatever DLG (Discus Launched Glider) contests that are near you. you will definitely see some planes for sale and if you bring a plane, you can get some great guidance.

Best thing I tell every newbee is to join in on contests. Why? How's 2 days of personal instruction sound? If you register as a Novice, often it is free. You get 2 full days of flying with some of the best pilots up and down the coast, if not the country (several travel all over). After a contest or two, you'll be a regular pro!

No exageration. DLG pilots are some of the nicest guys and are always willing to lend a hand. You won't be sorry you did.

Oh, there is one more thing, DLGs can be setup in minutes and do not require you to lug a winch and batteries around (or histart) and do not need large expensive LiPOs to fly. Have spin, will travel!! Many can fly in 15-20 mph wind or ore some evenwithout ballast and they make lunchtime more fun! they also can be flown in much smaller fields.

Frank
Old Apr 04, 2013, 04:51 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
Joined Jan 2011
4,043 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2High View Post
CASA has a contest for hand launch Aug 17 and 18

details and registraton here:
http://www.flyesl.org/Contest.aspx?contestid=148

There is also a hand launch contest at TImonium, Md on June 1 and 2
http://www.flyesl.org/Contest.aspx?contestid=154

and another at Salisbury, Md on July 13 and 14
http://www.flyesl.org/Contest.aspx?contestid=151

Just to name a few in Maryland.

Even if you do not fly, go to whatever DLG (Discus Launched Glider) contests that are near you. you will definitely see some planes for sale and if you bring a plane, you can get some great guidance.

Best thing I tell every newbee is to join in on contests. Why? How's 2 days of personal instruction sound? If you register as a Novice, often it is free. You get 2 full days of flying with some of the best pilots up and down the coast, if not the country (several travel all over). After a contest or two, you'll be a regular pro!

No exageration. DLG pilots are some of the nicest guys and are always willing to lend a hand. You won't be sorry you did.

Oh, there is one more thing, DLGs can be setup in minutes and do not require you to lug a winch and batteries around (or histart) and do not need large expensive LiPOs to fly. Have spin, will travel!! Many can fly in 15-20 mph wind or ore some evenwithout ballast and they make lunchtime more fun! they also can be flown in much smaller fields.

Frank
Sounds great! I think I'll try a DLG first, I bet if I grab one this weekend and practice until june 1 for the MD competition I might at least do okay, and from there who knows.

I'm not opposed to driving a bit or spending some money later on. For now though I just want to get my feet wet. I definitely like the idea of minimum support gear required, most of my other planes need at least fuel, batteries, chargers, and all kinds of other stuff. Looks like DLGs basically just need a rx battery, maybe two. I'm cool with that!
Old Apr 04, 2013, 11:31 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,978 Posts
This is just a warning, due to the adictive nature of DLG's it is best to find a cheap used beater you can thrash as that is what will happen. Plan on getting a second DLG soon after the first one. Soon after the first is used up and the second is your primary you will need a 3rd as a backup. You get where this is going. You have been warned.
davidjensen is online now Find More Posts by davidjensen
Old Apr 05, 2013, 12:44 AM
GARNER NC
Joined Apr 2009
450 Posts
Welcome to the world of soaring. If you want to learn DLG. First you have to get out of the sailplane forum and into the hand launch forum. There is a lot to learn for someone that is just starting into soaring. Here is a link to a thread from guys in the DC area. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1590084 If you go to the last page you will see they are getting together for a practice contest this weekend. Some of the guys build and bag there own wings, pods and booms. You may be able to get a good used one from one them.

Kevin
kunclebuc is online now Find More Posts by kunclebuc
Old Apr 05, 2013, 10:14 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
8,116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunclebuc View Post
Welcome to the world of soaring. If you want to learn DLG. First you have to get out of the sailplane forum and into the hand launch forum. There is a lot to learn for someone that is just starting into soaring. Here is a link to a thread from guys in the DC area. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1590084 If you go to the last page you will see they are getting together for a practice contest this weekend. Some of the guys build and bag there own wings, pods and booms. You may be able to get a good used one from one them.

Kevin
Why get out of the sailplane forum?

DLG are sailplanes too!!!
I will agree that those in the hand launch 'know' will frequent the other forum more.

If you are a Maryland guy, check out this thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1590084

Md guys post when they are just getting together and what not. Great bunch of guys there and super skilled at flying. I am envious of your location dude!!

See you over in the hand launch forum!!!