Old Aug 09, 2012, 08:25 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,023 Posts
Mini-Review
Review of Dynamic Foamy "Dynamic 820 EPP"

INTRODUCTION:

On behalf of Dynamicfoamy.com, I have been given the privilege to conduct a review of the Dynamic 820 EPP.

DISCLAIMER:

My build is slightly different and NOT entirely using the equipment suggested by Dynamic Foamy. The findings therein, are per my experience and YOUR results may vary.[/B]

Kit Maker: http://www.dynamicfoamy.com/

Model: [url] http://www.dynamicfoamy.com/Dynamic820.html

Product Specs:

• Length= 32''
• Wingspan= 29''
• Channel= 4
• RTF weight= 6-7oz
• Skill= Novice+

[Kit contents:
• Laser cut 6mm EPP foam parts
• Carbon fiber wing spars and push rods
• Laser cut control horns & motor mount
• Instruction CD for use in PC
Equipment I Used:

1. Motor – Turnigy 2204-14T
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=6547

2. ESC – Turnigy plush 10 (needed for 3S and digital servos)
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=4204

3. Servos – Hobbyking 10 gram digital servos
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=16259

4. Lipos – 2 & 3 S Nanotech 370 25C
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__11894__Turnigy_nano_tech_370mah_2S_25_40C_Lipo_P ack.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__11895__Turnigy_nano_tech_370mah_3S_25_40C_Lipo_P ack.html

5. Hobbyking Specktrum Orange 6 channel RX minus casing
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__11965__OrangeRx_R610_Spektrum_DSM2_6Ch_2_4Ghz_Re ceiver_w_Sat_Port_.html

6. GWS 8043 prop

7. Specktrum Dx6i radio.

ASSEMBLY

Like all Dynamic Foamy models, this kit comes with included PDF instructions and videos to aid in assembly.. The EPP and light ply is all laser cut, so the interlocking pieces fit together well. My kit came pre-painted which made assembly even easier. The paint job looks awesome and doesn’t add much weight.

For construction is I used mostly Beacon 3-1 adhesive and hot glue. The hot glue, I tried to use as little as possible. All surfaces were cut on a 45 and hinged using the beacon glue, which held up for a while, but I have now also added small pieces of tuff tape which works well. I also made use of the light ply 3D horn, which provides more than adequate throw on the ailerons.

The included light ply servo trays, control horns, lipo bay door tabs and motor mount, not only work great, make assembly easy, but also keep the look nice and clean. I really like the dual lipo doors. The ply tabs which are used to open and close the doors, make changing a battery easy and keeps wires from hanging off the model. I ended up hinging the doors with small pieces of Tuff Tape. The RX and ESC are all tucked neatly inside the front cowl, on passenger’s side behind the motor. This design makes for a nice clean look, with only the servos and control rods exposed; no hanging wires to worry about.

This model utilizes only 3 carbon fiber spares, 2 on wing and 1 on elevator, BUT combined with the pieces of EPP foam, running on a 45 to the lower fuse, it stiffens up very nicely.

The elevator and rudder servo are placed mid wing behind lipo door, and the aileron servo, top side, about 5 inches back from motor mount.. The rudder and elevator servo rods are long, but don’t flex thanks to the foam guides. The aileron control rods don’t flex at all, BUT make sure you use strong adhesive on the aileron control surfaces. The aggressive throw angles of the aileron hinges get a lot torque and if not hinged securely could and will come loose. This is why I have added small pieces of tuff tape. If I were to do it again, I might use CA Hinges, and or floppy disk material hinges, and cut inside the foam for a even cleaner look.

Basically, this model is very easy and quick to put together. The instructions, via video tutorials and PDF files make it easy and enjoyable. I had it together in under 3 hours. But, I let the Beacon Glue dry well.

I originally had the landing gear installed, but removed it as the area(s) I fly in are not suitable for landing gear, and thus I hand launch, and belly land or catch model. I also added pieces of tuff tape to the tail skid for durability purposes. It has proven to hold up quite well.

Ready to Fly Weights:

2S Nanotech 370 mah = 230 grams RTF

3S Nanotech 370 mah = 240 grams RTF

I also sometimes fly with a 2S 300 Nanotech which is even lighter. The airframe itself, minus lipo weights in at 199 grams. The landing gear would add about another 8 grams or so. The projected RTF weight of this model is supposed to be 200 grams. This being said, mine is heavier due to the components I am using. As well, the front end has also been re-glued a few times, as I was forced to switch out the previous ESC and motor I was using. I found that these digital servos would not work on the plush 6 ESC I was using, more particularly on 3S. Just the servos movements alone would reset the ESC. So, I opted for the plush 10 which uses a 2A BEC, which works a lot better than the plush 6’s .8A BEC. My 820 currently has a brand new ESC and motor.

The previous 2204-14T motor I was using was getting tried, so I swapped it out as well. I cannot praise this motor enough. Mine was nearly 4 years old, been used on 3 different 3D models, pusher jets, ect. Plus it was ran wide open on 3S, crashed and beat all to hell and still worked. So, I bought another and installed her. I highly recommend this motor, and hope this new one stands the test of time like the previous.

FLYING:

I have currently only flown this model outdoors, but look forward to flying indoors this winter in a windless environment were hopefully I can dial in my 3D skills.

Take off:

With the landing gear on, take offs are really a no brainer; they just need a decent runway as I find the flat airfoil needs more speed to get lift. However, I currently fly my 820 with no landing gear, so it’s a hand launch model only for now. Take offs are easy, just apply a little throttle and it’ll take off right out of your hand; no fancy hand launches here.

Landing:

Landing is easy. With landing gear, your going to want to have a smooth runway, and just ease off the throttle, hold a little back elevator and it’ll glide in nice and slow.

Without landing gear, there are more options. This model will slow right down to a crawl, so you can belly flop it down, catch it, or if you feel like, do more a low to ground hover, and flop it down harrier style. I often just find myself catching it.

Basic Flight:

This model truly is a great way to get into 3D; it’s a great beginner 3D plane. This is not to say that a more advanced flier won’t like it enjoy it as well. It can be highly responsive or tamed right down depending on your skill level. One thing that surprised me, is how well it handles wind for basic flight and mild 3D. The other 3D foamy’s I have flown were horrible in the wind; this is actually pretty damn good.

Slow Flight:

Due to the low wing loading, this baby can slow down to a crawl, and just float there if you like. Sometimes, I find myself pointing here into the wind, applying a little power, and practice doing harriers in one spot while the wind keeps her there. Its also fun to do aileron rolls in one spot, recover, and see how well you can be your own gyro system, by keeping her planted in one spot. The large GWS slow fly 8.43 prop generates ample thrust and aids in slow flight.

Durability:

The best thing about EPP is that it’s highly durable. The 6mm EPP holds up great in crashes, and can be easily fixed via a little glue if needed. Worst case scenario, the EPP might rip, but this model isn’t fast so it is usually not really a concern. I did break one of the CF landing gear struts but a strong gust of wind slammed her into the ground, so, this is to be expected but easily repairable.

Flight Times:

• 2S 370 mah 25C provide a solid 4-5 minutes of aggressive flying.

• 3S 370 mah 25C for whatever reason, don’t seem to last as long as the 2S lipos, probably because I am pushing them harder, but I can likely get 3.5 minutes of aggressive flight.
• Surprisingly the 2S 300 lipos, will get 4 minutes of flight, but lack the power of the larger lipos.

The 3S lipo’s are not needed, and I usually only fly on 2S, unless I want crazy vertical and non-stop hovering.

3D Aerobatics/Special Flight Performance:

The 820 is highly responsive, and can likely handle most maneuvers you can throw at it. The control surfaces have plenty of throw, and on my model the digital servos are nice and precise, although, probably not needed. This is not a hardcore 3D or F3P machine, BUT can do plenty of maneuvers. I am not a beginner 3D pilot, but nor do I consider myself an intermediate either. However, I find myself getting better with each flight as this is the perfect model to learn on.

The 820 is easy, very easy to hover. In my opinion nothing is cooler, than getting her into a hover, and even knife edge hovers. The paint job really looks great and keeps orientation in check.

Loops are easy, and on high rates it will pretty much loop on its own axis.

Rolls are crisp and fairly axial, and quite quick on high rates. High rate rolls are enhanced though by removing the landing gear.

I am surprised at how well it handles inverted flight, not much elevator compensation is needed and it tracks as well as it does right side up.

This bird also knife edges really well, but is executed easier in a low wind environment. I find it wants to tip over when knife edging in anymore than 10 km/h winds, but, this is a likely based on my current skills.

I am currently learning rolling harriers, and have performed some a few times, although sloppy, the 820 is a great learning tool.

Once I learn more 3D maneuvers, I will report how this model handles them.

Is this model for a beginner?

While this Dynamic 820, might not be suitable as a very first plane, it is a fantastic introduction into 3D flying and a great learning tool. Its durability, price point, and ease of construction receive high marks.

What I did different\recommendations:

• 10A ESC
• Digital Servos (not needed but are nice)
• Added pieces of Tuff Tape to control surfaces and tail skid.
• Sometimes use 3S lipo’s for crazy vertical and non stop hovering, however, this is not necessary and I often only use 2S lipos.

Media:

See below for pics

Videos coming (weather currently not cooperating)

Conclusion:

To conclude the Dynamic 820 EPP is a great 3D model. It incorporates a unique design which makes for a clean looking, durable, and very fun flyer. Its features set it apart from other models and I highly recommend it. I didn’t find anything negative about the model. This is a 3D foamy and is to be appreciated for what it is. If you want to learn 3D; this is at awesome model to start with.

As always, Dynamic Foamy models are easy to construct and fly great.
I would like to send a special thanks to Bert at Dynamic Foamy for supplying the model and opportunity for reviewing it.

If I have forgotten anything, or if you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask.
Razors edge 29 is offline Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2012, 08:25 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,023 Posts
Videos to come shortly; hopefully the rain will stop soon.
Old Aug 09, 2012, 10:27 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,023 Posts
Here is a windy day vid

nothing over the top

Dynamic Foamy 820 (6 min 25 sec)
Last edited by Razors edge 29; Oct 02, 2012 at 09:24 PM.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 01:16 AM
"Unappreciative tosser"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Oct 2011
566 Posts
Great info thanks for posting.

Note: Lousy smartphone makes it tough to post on forums.

Seriously though, very well done, I've been wondering about this one for a while. The price is right, I hope to pull the trigger soon.
eltreato is offline Find More Posts by eltreato
Last edited by eltreato; Aug 26, 2012 at 10:24 AM.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 10:13 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,023 Posts
Your welcome
Old Oct 08, 2012, 07:48 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,023 Posts
another vid

Dynamic Foamy 820 EPP Fun Flight (4 min 24 sec)
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:23 AM
Ohio
Joined Nov 2007
226 Posts
Nice vid Is it always windy up there?

Bert
DynamicFoamy is offline Find More Posts by DynamicFoamy
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Customer Support Forum
Old Oct 09, 2012, 12:40 PM
"Unappreciative tosser"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Oct 2011
566 Posts
Thanks for posting Razor,

I ended up ordering one of these with the exact same hardware setup as per your review. The only thing I'm doing differently is I'll be trying to use the servos from an old e-flite CP Pro I inherited, assuming they aren't stripped. I can't find Welder's out this way so I will be using hot glue along with a Beacon's Craftfoam that's meant to be okay on most foams including EPP. I'm considering trying hot glue for the control surface hinges, It'll be my first go at building a foamy this way so I'll be making test hinges with the scraps first.

All the best!
Old Oct 09, 2012, 12:47 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,023 Posts
Yes its usually windy

But in this vid its nothing

I should film it going crazy in high winds lol

Very fun bird to fly.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 12:52 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,023 Posts
Awesome

Youll love it. Beacon works well and its light. Keep in mind that hot glue is heavy but used sparingly its strong and maleable in needed to come off.

If i did this bird again id use CA hinges or use floppy disk for hinge material

Both are light; strong and clean looking

You could also use du bro hinges.

Keep me posted and please post vids/picz

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltreato View Post
Thanks for posting Razor,

I ended up ordering one of these with the exact same hardware setup as per your review. The only thing I'm doing differently is I'll be trying to use the servos from an old e-flite CP Pro I inherited, assuming they aren't stripped. I can't find Welder's out this way so I will be using hot glue along with a Beacon's Craftfoam that's meant to be okay on most foams including EPP. I'm considering trying hot glue for the control surface hinges, It'll be my first go at building a foamy this way so I'll be making test hinges with the scraps first.

All the best!
Old Oct 09, 2012, 01:28 PM
"Unappreciative tosser"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Oct 2011
566 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions. I do have some old floppy disks so I may give that a try instead of just using glue. I'll post up some pics though it may be a couple months before I have time to get started on this one as I've got to get my clone 250 helicopter airworthy for 3D first.

Cheers
Old Oct 09, 2012, 04:51 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,023 Posts
Sounds good

Bert

You should make a larger version of this. Like 6 foot WS. P15 would be good motor for it.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:55 PM
TEAM TWISTED
United States, MD, Middle River
Joined Dec 2011
1,033 Posts
Great to see some of Bert's hard work paying off here. We have this plane and it is still in great shape because they are hard to kill! Love the way the battery goes into the hatch and the way the fuse is so clean and stiff after adding the extra EPP pieces along the keel. We added a little strip of carbon to the trailing edge of the aileron to prevent twist along the surface and it did not suffer from the extra weight. We used a dualsky XM2812CA27 for motor. Had to do a double-take when we saw the nice thin EPP that this is made of. It flies really well. Probably put some video up soon after seeing this thread... nice job on the review!
ROLLING CIRCLE is offline Find More Posts by ROLLING CIRCLE
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:14 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,023 Posts
Thanks it is a great durable plane

Mine has many flights and has held up extremly well considering how many times its met Terra Firma lol

Looking forward to vids
Old Oct 13, 2012, 08:46 PM
TEAM TWISTED
United States, MD, Middle River
Joined Dec 2011
1,033 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
Thanks it is a great durable plane

Looking forward to vids

DYNAMIC820 OCTOBER 13 (3 min 49 sec)