SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 07, 2013, 04:38 PM
Top of the World
United States, FL, Ocala
Joined Nov 2009
106 Posts
Just got back in town and ran to the computer. Your fix works. I feel like a dunce for not solving the puzzle. Thanks Zeke.
Charliespup is offline Find More Posts by Charliespup
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2013, 05:48 PM
Top of the World
United States, FL, Ocala
Joined Nov 2009
106 Posts
Two wings now ready for sanding and nacelle planking. The second wing took much longer to assemble because I made two left hand R1 ribs and float support boxes. I know better. I should have built both R1 ribs and the float boxes at the same time. It took awhile to dissemble, repair, and reassemble these for the right wing. Thank the Lord for balsa wood. The only changes I made to the wings are using robart hinge pins and fowler flap hinges. And I keep wondering how much weight would be added if you sheeted the top wing. Can't wait to finish the wings and start working on the fuselage.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 06:25 PM
Editor - Flying Models
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2003
2,430 Posts
Looks great Charlie!

As for sheeting weight, a 1/16x3x36 sheet of 8# wood weighs half an ounce, so a little simple math should give you a good idea what the weight penalty will be.
Thayer is offline Find More Posts by Thayer
Old Sep 10, 2013, 06:52 PM
Joined Mar 2005
173 Posts
The amount would be a non issue, it's all if you prefer the look or not,
propilot is offline Find More Posts by propilot
Old Sep 10, 2013, 06:58 PM
Editor - Flying Models
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2003
2,430 Posts
Agreed, the extra few ounces won't matter at all to this one.
Thayer is offline Find More Posts by Thayer
Old Sep 10, 2013, 08:08 PM
Airplane crasher
USA, CT, Shelton
Joined Jan 2008
2,732 Posts
Charles if memory serves me correctly Zeke did the open structure of the wing not for weight savings but to mimic the true way the wings are done on the Albatross with them being fabric covered just as the stabs are on the full scale. As Thayer said though the little extra weight of full sheeting the wings really wont be a weight issue. Mine that Thayer was flying at Joe Nall came in at half a pound over the weight of Zeke's plane as I glassed the entire bottom of my plane with 1 3/4 ounce cloth. Then used filler on the weave along with high fill primer. My entire airframe also recieved a coating of laquer to seal the wood.
CapMike is offline Find More Posts by CapMike
Old Sep 10, 2013, 08:24 PM
ParkScaleModels
United States, PA, Loganville
Joined Feb 2002
4,208 Posts
Actually I designed the wing the way I did for two reasons...weight savings and lower cost. With the cost of balsa, fully sheeted wings would add at least an additional $20.
zbrubaker is offline Find More Posts by zbrubaker
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Shop remodeling continues...
Old Sep 10, 2013, 08:25 PM
Airplane crasher
USA, CT, Shelton
Joined Jan 2008
2,732 Posts
I stand corrected
Old Sep 10, 2013, 09:15 PM
Joined Mar 2005
173 Posts
Hey Zeke or anyone, did we get an answer on what the ? means on the instructions, maybe I mist it
Old Sep 11, 2013, 05:57 AM
Airplane crasher
USA, CT, Shelton
Joined Jan 2008
2,732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by propilot View Post
Hey Zeke or anyone, did we get an answer on what the ? means on the instructions, maybe I mist it
In refrence to the ? marking on the wing instruction on illustation #81 it refers to instaling the rib assembly that holds the sponson. He just did not call out that installation with instruction. The same for illustration 96. It is to stack the wing tip parts gluing them together making sure the edge is straight that will fit to the rib once they are all stacked together and glued.
#100 is to tell you to install a scrap piece of 1/16 balsa at the TE of the aileron. This gives a lip for the covering to attach to after sanded to shape of the ribs. #106 is adding the hinge pockets to the flap made from 1/64 ply and then capped as well as the scrap piece of ply for mounting the control horn. 108 and 109 deal with adding wood to the TE of the flap and then sanding to shape of the wing. My suggestion there is to place some tape over the TE of the wing as you do the planing and sanding do as not to damage the wood on the wing. I hope this helps to explain the question mark
Old Sep 11, 2013, 03:58 PM
Top of the World
United States, FL, Ocala
Joined Nov 2009
106 Posts
I decided to sheet the top of the wings. I hope this isn't a mistake because Capt. Mikes Albatross flew incredible at the Nall. My wings now weigh 11oz each including the flaps and ailerons minus planking. I'm hoping they will come in around 16oz before finishing. Do the instructions call for a 3/8x1/4 strip glued to the leading edge before shaping?
Old Sep 12, 2013, 05:37 AM
Airplane crasher
USA, CT, Shelton
Joined Jan 2008
2,732 Posts
To be honest I do not really remember the width of the wood used on the trailing edge lip of the flap. You will need to add a scrap piece of balsa to fill the small triangle at the TE root. I think I then did 2 layers of 1/4 inch balsa to get the proper height with maybe a small piece of 1/16 at the root. I then clamped the aileron on to trace the shape at that end onto the end of the flap. The I attacked it with a small x-acto plane to preshape the trailing edge. After that I put blue painters tape on the wing and went to work first with 80 grit paper and finished with 180.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 04:22 PM
Top of the World
United States, FL, Ocala
Joined Nov 2009
106 Posts
Capt. Mike, I was asking about the leading edge of the wing. I'm not sure there is enough material to contour the leading edge. It took all day to fit the flaps and get them to close all the way. I put the wings aside for awhile and worked on the fuse today. It goes together very fast and I'm still amazed how well the parts fit. Super lite and super strong. I found two issues you probably already know and fixed but just in case the horizontal slot on part # F4A needs to be extended so it can slide over BB2. F3B needs a horizontal slot to fit on the end of BB2.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 11:45 PM
Joined Mar 2005
173 Posts
Where did you get the hinges for the flaps
Old Sep 14, 2013, 08:46 AM
Airplane crasher
USA, CT, Shelton
Joined Jan 2008
2,732 Posts
On the Leading edge of the wing you add a strip of 1/8" balsa. With that there is enough for you to sand the LE to shape/ I would suggest adding in the LE before you plank the nacelle. It will be a lot easier to sand that way. Then when you go to plank the nacelle you would just trim out the small amount of the shaped LE allowing for the planks to meet the precut LE. That is how I did mine. When Zele gets back from NEAT he will see the post and check the file to see about the missing notches you mentioned