You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8truckin View Post
Freewing provides their own servos.
Servos or I think you ment retracts.
However, FW commissioned PZ to make them per a local vendor where they are made. Thus most all molded components are interchangeable. I am puzzlement why FW had them actually change the circuitry.... I guess to give the illusion of being different to justify such a price difference.

The gear (the motor gear ratio, worm gear stock and thread, transition block) and circuit board different. They also set them to different usec transition points.

Still when I get a chance I'll switch the PZ and FW polarities around and see if the cutout changes along with direction. Likely not that simple I suspect as nothing really ever is. And if not simple I'm curious why other proprietary interests.
Maxthrottle is online now Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Freewing 90mm F-16C
Old Sep 26, 2012, 01:03 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,701 Posts
Actully meant both. Thanks for that info.
v8truckin is online now Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Sep 28, 2012, 12:05 PM
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Nov 2010
565 Posts
sorry for the delay, outside view of one of my su35 flights.

My 10 year old recorded the video.

SU-35 Perfect landing (5 min 14 sec)
Wargassm is offline Find More Posts by Wargassm
Old Sep 28, 2012, 06:34 PM
Lori, hey, you're home early
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
9,129 Posts
duplicate
CarreraGTSCS is online now Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by CarreraGTSCS; Sep 29, 2012 at 12:33 PM. Reason: duplicate
Old Sep 28, 2012, 06:37 PM
Lori, hey, you're home early
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
9,129 Posts
What's your set up? Is it stock? It really gains altitude quickly.

I like the way you can see the vector nozzles at work in your other video. Notice the swirl pattern of the runway dust at 59 seconds.

su35 rear view flight 1 (4 min 55 sec)
CarreraGTSCS is online now Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:03 PM
Joined Sep 2012
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsn View Post
Wow. That is a-m-a-z-i-n-g. Awesome work.
Thanx , But alot of work still remains. I took it for a taxi test and it didn't fare so well. The good news is ive learnt something form the experiance and I will apply it to the upgrade. so stay tuned
My fliight is offline Find More Posts by My fliight
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:07 PM
Joined Sep 2012
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargassm View Post
sorry for the delay, outside view of one of my su35 flights.

My 10 year old recorded the video.

http://youtu.be/UY0T1QAd6Ww

Wow with all that traffic your airport needs a tower The hawk behind you couldn't even wait for your vortecs to disapate. I know mid-airs happen alot ha?
My fliight is offline Find More Posts by My fliight
Old Sep 29, 2012, 06:25 AM
Flying Hazard
Spain
Joined May 2006
2,864 Posts

This is the aftermath of my silly crash. It's already water-boiled in these pictures, let's see what I can make out of this mess.

Cheers!
Jandro.
SU-4ever is offline Find More Posts by SU-4ever
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:15 AM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,468 Posts
Ouch!!! Repairable but how come the foam is popcorning so much all around the nose section. Was it left out in the heat or something? Are you gonna have time to repair it between classes?
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Freewing 90mm F-16C
Old Sep 29, 2012, 10:30 AM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,701 Posts
Max,

I think the popcorn-Ing is from J putting it in boiling water. He mentioned that the photos were post boiled foam.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 10:32 AM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,701 Posts
Yup that's repairable I've got exp., not bragging...lmao! Some epoxy, light spackle, foam (to fill gaps), paint her, and youll be good to go.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 11:47 AM
Joined Aug 2012
131 Posts
It's funny how many of these planes i see with the same damage, probably on a minor crash, most of them. the damage above looks just like my plane did when i hit a gopher hole, on landing. I was almost stopped when it hit the hole and it sent the plane for a spin that did not seem like it would do any damage but, wack, the nose broke off. you would think that Freewing would look at this and make the nose a little stronger. I bet you could flick it with your finger and break the nose off
JTAnimal is offline Find More Posts by JTAnimal
Old Sep 29, 2012, 12:18 PM
Flying Hazard
Spain
Joined May 2006
2,864 Posts
No, you couldn't. In fact I did a very hard Straight-to-the-ground vertical impact at a decent speed so it's pretty incredible there's so little damage. I'm very surprised the plane held on so well, I would expect a complete confetti output from any other type of plane but in this, everything important is safe and sound, only broke non-essential parts (The nose) I'm sorry, I don't have video of the crash this time, my father saw it coming and lost all focus on keeping the image... DAMN! it would have been so sweet and spectacular in slow motion! At least I would have that...

Repair is already on the way, see for yourselfs:

I had a bad time trying to straighten the nose up. A lot of foam is pop-corned because it was difficult to restore the original form just with boiling water though it helped. Now I need to put back the rest of tiny bits I gathered and set new hinges for the gear doors.

Cheers!
Jandro.
SU-4ever is offline Find More Posts by SU-4ever
Old Sep 29, 2012, 12:44 PM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,468 Posts
V8 I thought that was a Spanish thing lost in translation when he mentioned boiling water. Why boil it? till it popcorns. OK you were posting at the same time I was.... and that explains the water bording... boiling of your SU. Wow a nose in dive and it came out looking that good J!

Anyways. Yes fixable. Curious what techniques you guys use for repairs.
I keep junk foam, put it in a blender till its little fiddly bits and then mix it with spackle and WBPU. Seem cracks foam bits, spackle and Epoxy. If it needs hardening I add in glass fillings, basically glass dust strands.
I find it sands better and doesn't popcorn because the foam pellet is already broken down.

JTAnimal, agreed it could be designed a little more durable but this would add foam weight because its not just the break point that has to be addressed. If they originally added T foam runners on the inner walls of the nose section it would be less easy to snap the nose but you would see more age lines show up at the front and back of the hatch. And a remold isn't something they're are going to do in a hurry if the problem is crashes. Molds are expensive and after all these are not made with a 5mph bumper rating or something. The only part on a plane or model that is supposed to hit anything is the wheels.

Go measure your gopher hole and work out a scale mock up of having said gopher hole in the middle of any full scale run way. It would do more than just rip bits off the planes nose.

They may redo a mold once they've sold enough units to justify it, but such a remold will add weight. It may be better for them to produce a reduced priced foam fuse only allowing crashers to more affordably replace the fuse since its consistently the point of fail. After all its just cheap foam and is very easy to swap out the parts.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Maxthrottle; Sep 29, 2012 at 12:57 PM. Reason: SPELLING