HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:21 AM
United States, CA, Lincoln
Joined Jan 2011
723 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3c0yz3d View Post
Just remember it runs a 5060 300KV on 6S but the 18" prop definitely helps the scale look.

Im going to fit the fms landing gear legs, doors and cockpit.

I'm currently in the process of putting FMS spinners, props, guns, landing gear and servo actuated doorsin my J-Power P-38. Not super easy, but makes the cheaper model look 100% better.
Hi DC3...I have one of those as well. I don't want to get off topic, so would you please pm me? I bought mine second hand and it crashed bad on the maiden. I'm rebuilding and making it better. Thx.
6Sally5 is offline Find More Posts by 6Sally5
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 17, 2012, 09:27 AM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppers View Post
Damn... that sucks.... I was really enjoying your company, skills and enthusiam.

I know you have a lot invested but HK sell all the composite parts... wings, fuse, etc... seperately.... so you would have to start with a new kit.... just an idea. I know the force for something new is strong... looking for an ME109 myself to feed the addiction.

Either way... it's been good 'meeting' you, take care and keep it up!!

Toppers
Hi Toppers,

Thanks for your comments. It has been nice meeting you as well. I really enjoy this online community. Frankly, I have alot of real flying buddies but none that match my enthusiasm for this stuff.

The Hun Hunter is resting in its cradle at home. All options, including rebuild, are open. I have to admit that the urge to build something new is stronger than the urge to rebuild.

I will be on holiday in California for Christmas week. Until then, and after I return, I have a line-up of a couple planes in the building queue. Just finished and maidened a Dynam Peaks over the weekend. I added a full set of nav lights so I could flying in the early evening twilight we get in winter time. Tried it out yesterday and it works pretty well. I also have an F-22, SBach, FunCub, Funjet Ultra, and custom Stryker to build. So, I have plenty of time to think about choices.

Best regards,

Jackson
Jackson Stone is offline Find More Posts by Jackson Stone
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:22 AM
Field of Dreams Flyer
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
9,115 Posts
Sorry but I would never use those orange receivers in big planes, Those are great for small planes. The Futaba ones are great. I had a orange reciever in my little Corsair and did great for 2 flights and on the 3rd it decided to brown out, so sometimes they work and sometimes they dont. There some guys at my field that use them and have good luck with them but I just dont trust them anymore and hate losing a plane over it
Mikemynameis is online now Find More Posts by Mikemynameis
Old Dec 17, 2012, 03:21 PM
Canada, ON, Oakville
Joined May 2008
1,987 Posts
OrangeRX....That's a whole other discusion.... I too use the 9 channel OrangeRX in this plane, with 2x satelites for diversity (one on a long extension near the tail gear).... and I always use a separate BEC (7A) and have upgraded the ESC as well.

I've used a separate switching BEC for all my planes, for both genuine Spektrum and OrangeRX recievers.
Toppers is offline Find More Posts by Toppers
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:17 PM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppers View Post
OrangeRX....That's a whole other discusion.... I too use the 9 channel OrangeRX in this plane, with 2x satelites for diversity (one on a long extension near the tail gear).... and I always use a separate BEC (7A) and have upgraded the ESC as well.

I've used a separate switching BEC for all my planes, for both genuine Spektrum and OrangeRX recievers.
Toppers,

I had the 9 channel Orange with 1 satellite and a 10 amp separate switching BEC.

I still believe the problem was probably interference from 2.4 ghz home network circuits.

Regards,

Jackson
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:58 AM
Foam air frame tester
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Nov 2012
325 Posts
So i maiden-ed mine today and it really didn't all go to plan. Late afternoon flights never seem to go the best for me but it was the first break in the wind for a while and i was keen to fly mine.

First off CG seemed too far back at 105mm the manual suggests. It really jumped in the air in a scary fashion and sort of fell out of turns a bit. Looks like i had a little left rudder trim to sort out but it was too twitchy for it to be just that.

I was impressed with the stock power setup after what everyone had been saying. I did a low pass on three quarter throttle and it went by with a good scale speed. I don't really feel the need for more power at this stage.

So a few circuits a slow roll and i thought i would land and push the batteries further forward. First approach was too fast, so i went around again and came in off the throttle. Unfortunately, i made the approach straight into a tree at the end of the field. I think it was a case of me thinking the big model was a lot closer than it really was as i usually fly 1100mm size planes.

It went into a flat spin and luckily nosed into a compost heap below the tree lol. So after all that i have a dislogged firewall, a crushed and cracked left wing tip and aileron, missing pitot tube and nav light cover and a some dints and marks to repair. X(

Disappointing after spending 6 nights on and off building it but i guess that is RC planes for you.

Jackson let me know if you want to sell your pitot tube and nav light cover!!
d3c0yz3d is offline Find More Posts by d3c0yz3d
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:05 AM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
D3C,

Glad to hear you got your P-47 maidened. Sorry about the flat spin into the compost heap. I checked the wreckage of my left wing (the right wing is still up a tree as far as I know) and did not find the pitot tube or nav light cover.

FYI, I have decided that I am going to build an FMS 1400mm P-47 to replace the Hun Hunter. I have a "Tarheel Hal" version on order from Toysonics. I have never bought a plane from Toysonics but the price and service was amazing. I think the final price for the plane (ARF version) was less than $120. They shipped the same day I ordered. I should get it in today or Wednesday. I think that I will transplant the sound system and all electronics. I may opt for the the Orange seven channel RX as it has really good reviews.

Happy New Year,

Jackson
Old Jan 04, 2013, 06:45 PM
United States, GA, Douglasville
Joined Apr 2012
201 Posts
subscribed
Olearsenewbie is offline Find More Posts by Olearsenewbie
Old Jan 06, 2013, 11:26 AM
Add your country to profile:)
United States, CA, Crestline
Joined Oct 2006
309 Posts
Cluster Bomb Drop

I got in 5 more flights of the Jug yesterday. I flew it dirty with all the armaments- wing bombs, rocket tubes, and my modified drop tank set up to drop cluster bombs(party snaps). Got some keychain hatcam video.

You can't really see the bombs drop in the video, but you can hear them hit. Drops are at 50 sec and at 2:50 in the video
RC P47 dropping cluster bombs from modified droptank and some passes (3 min 55 sec)
CrashMaster39 is offline Find More Posts by CrashMaster39
Old Jan 06, 2013, 11:32 AM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
Crashmaster,

That is one nifty innovation to contain your "cluster bombs" in the drop tank! This kind of innovation is one of my greatest pleasures on the building side of the hobby. To design and build something that really enhances the stock character of the plane. Congrats and keep up the good work!

Cheers,

Jackson
Old Jan 07, 2013, 01:43 AM
ham
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Dragør
Joined Mar 2007
131 Posts
Very nice video Crashmaster :-) Nice editing too - not too much not too little - just right. Wish I had your weather here though :-)

Really cool with the drop tank bomb bay and that you hear when the "bombs" hit :-)
ham is offline Find More Posts by ham
Old Jan 07, 2013, 05:04 AM
Canada, ON, Oakville
Joined May 2008
1,987 Posts
Very nice mod, flying and video.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 11:11 AM
United States, TX
Joined May 2009
203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemynameis View Post
Sorry but I would never use those orange receivers in big planes, Those are great for small planes. The Futaba ones are great. I had a orange reciever in my little Corsair and did great for 2 flights and on the 3rd it decided to brown out, so sometimes they work and sometimes they dont. There some guys at my field that use them and have good luck with them but I just dont trust them anymore and hate losing a plane over it
I concur from my experience the orange receivers do not exhibt the selectability (ability to ignore other 2.4ghz signals) of the Futaba 2.4ghz receivers. I recently sold my Yellow Aircraft P47 and moving toward all electrics. I have been reading all of the threads related to larger P47 electrics. Thanks for all the pics and videos.

Vince
302 Z28 is offline Find More Posts by 302 Z28
Old Jan 10, 2013, 03:26 PM
Electric Columnist
Fuquay Varina, NC
Joined Dec 2000
780 Posts
Anybody have any idea what the pitch is on the stock prop that comes with the P-47? I thought I had a pitch gauge around here, but can't find it and was just curious if anyone has measured one.
Greg Gimlick is offline Find More Posts by Greg Gimlick
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:32 PM
Canada, ON, Oakville
Joined May 2008
1,987 Posts
I believe it is 16x10x4.