Maybe 5 33.33%
Arrgh!! 1 6.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 20, 2011, 04:44 PM
Joined Apr 2010
21 Posts
Poll
Bamboo for airframe?

Okay, I've been thinking about what is light, cheap, and strong. It seems to me that with bamboo being stronger than steel and very light that it would make a perfect airframe for a multi rotor craft. My idea was to purchase or fabricate some bamboo laminate, and configure it like they do at the KK multicopter site (picture below). The difference would of course be the immense improvement in strength and the ability to withstand impacts that would cripple lesser materials. In point of fact, I think that 4 rattan backscratchers from Pier 1 Imports could be laminated together, cut, planed and drilled to make a pretty respectable frame. Just a thought...
sigung is offline Find More Posts by sigung
Last edited by sigung; Feb 20, 2011 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Changed to Poll
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2011, 05:53 AM
Suspended Account
UK, Buckinghamshire, High Wycombe
Joined Feb 2007
4,133 Posts
looks like a sound idea to me but i said "maybe" so chop chop with the build
n3m1s1s is offline Find More Posts by n3m1s1s
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 21, 2011, 07:11 AM
Joined Jun 2009
291 Posts
Composite is a composite :-) I'm an aluminum man myself, but I've been really thinking about trying balsa profiles lately. They are very light and reasonably sturdy - yet they break easily on impact, absorbing a significant portion of the kinetic energy. Your approach is more hi-tech, so definitely go for it and report back your findings
tori3 is offline Find More Posts by tori3
Last edited by tori3; Feb 21, 2011 at 07:28 AM.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 09:31 AM
Villebon sur yvette, France
Joined Mar 2010
428 Posts
Hi,
a french guy is on his way to do a bamboo quad. He's just expecting the end of the cut in china (true ^^)
catlord is offline Find More Posts by catlord
Old Feb 21, 2011, 10:04 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,784 Posts
I have made several using Basswood or Spruce and I think that Bamboo would be excellent. Unfortunately bamboo is not easy to get in the US.
RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Feb 21, 2011, 11:18 AM
H-60 Mechanic
Idaho
Joined Jan 2011
54 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
I have made several using Basswood or Spruce and I think that Bamboo would be excellent. Unfortunately bamboo is not easy to get in the US.

A quick google search and bingo, plenty of sources. And depending on the dimensions they just might be able to provide material from their scrap bins.

Check out this link.
http://www.bamboocraft.net/poles_raw_materials.html

Plenty of suppliers...........
bobdhead39 is offline Find More Posts by bobdhead39
Old Feb 21, 2011, 12:02 PM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,588 Posts
There is the slats for flooring that are made out of Bamboo. That might be worth a try
Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Mega Link Index
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Old Feb 21, 2011, 03:19 PM
United States, MI, Jenison
Joined Jun 2008
1,149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesolins View Post
There is the slats for flooring that are made out of Bamboo. That might be worth a try
Cheers,
Jim
Read my mind Jim. Hardwood laminate flooring would be very affordable for this bamboo project.
Make a build 'LOG' (pun intended).
nicnaimless is offline Find More Posts by nicnaimless
Old Feb 21, 2011, 04:42 PM
Joined Apr 2010
21 Posts
I have an idea!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesolins View Post
Cheers,
Jim
This is going to knock your socks off... I've decided that I'm going to cobble together a wooden form for the individual braces. Then I will use a drawknife and pull some thick fibers from a bamboo stalk. After I get enough bamboo fiber, I'm going to lay a piece of carbon cloth fiber into the form, push it up into the sides to make it conform, lay in the previously harvested bamboo fibers, fill with epoxy resin, fold the remaining carbon fiber up over the bamboo to seal the bamboo fibers completely in the carbon fiber. Once the epoxy is dry, I will finish, mill and drill the airframe. Once I've created a bridle joint and assembled the pieces, I will epoxy them together. Website and videos coming soon!
sigung is offline Find More Posts by sigung