HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 16, 2012, 05:50 PM
Rocket geek
Highlands Ranch, CO
Joined Dec 2007
651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny1 View Post
You da Big Sky man Jumpy, I for one appreciate the work you put into the contest. It gives us all an excuse to become better soaring pilots.

On another subject: Again I see references to folks catching their RP's. Fun yes, a sign of good skills for sure....BUT!! I hope you are taking into account, and are aware that you are pointing a sailplane with two plastic knives capable of spinning at several thousand rpm right at your nose and reaching up and grabbing it bare-handed. I have caught my regular sailplane on occasion, and DLG guys do it all the time; fun, but sans motor...no chance of dismemberment there. The RP, or any powered sailplane is a totally different matter. I've bumped my throttle stick accidently many times, what would happen if that happened while attempting to catch the plane with my hand? I have seen a few very horrible prop-strike accidents, and have suffered one myself in recent years which required surgery and has left unsightly scars on my hand, and on my mind, (and it happened in an instant; one moment running my motor, the next and I was being rushed to the ER to have a tendon reattached). Even if you have a throttle lock on your tx, what if you forget to lock it and bump the throttle while concentrating on catching your plane just for giggles?? I would hate to read of a serious prop strike on this thread, please guys, exercise a modicum of common sense and reconsider the wisdom of catching a prop powered plane in your hands! I'm not out to tick anyone off here, but believe me, eventually an accident will happen; do yourselves a favor and knock it off......please!!!

Sonny
And if you do catch it, learn to catch it in the middle of one wing, rather than the fuse. The resulting yaw also softens the catch in addition to keeping you away from the prop even if the throttle gets bumped.

Another prop safety tip I have learned the hard way is to take the prop off when ground-testing any changes to the transmitter program.
Adrian A is offline Find More Posts by Adrian A
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2012, 05:51 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2010
412 Posts
EZCanuck is offline Find More Posts by EZCanuck
Last edited by EZCanuck; Jun 12, 2013 at 06:23 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 05:51 PM
Thread Crapper
Lynden, WA
Joined Nov 2000
2,845 Posts
that reminds me, I need to practice some catching, always wanted to get good at it so I keep from beating it onto the ground.
JohnVH is offline Find More Posts by JohnVH
Old Jan 16, 2012, 05:52 PM
Thread Crapper
Lynden, WA
Joined Nov 2000
2,845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZCanuck View Post
http://contour.com/products/contour-roam capable of 1080p HD - see video title

Right in there with high end GoPro

It is personally against my religion to have a camera on board that is more expensive than the airframe cuz I have no guts for that

Truely nice video quality.
Amazon had a screaming deal on them at Christmas time, got it for $90 to my door!
JohnVH is offline Find More Posts by JohnVH
Old Jan 16, 2012, 05:56 PM
Fly It Like You Stole It.....
United States, NY, Fulton
Joined Jan 2009
379 Posts
Throttle hold for electric aircraft

Throttle hold on all Spektrum and JR radios can be configured to completely shut down electric airplanes. It's so easy using mix 3. It's a throttle to throttle mix and it takes about 2 min. to setup. I've used this mix for a few years now. Our club is encouraging all of our members to either use throttle hold or install a shut down device on the electric aircraft. Maybe other transmitters work the same way but I'm sure of it for Spektrum and JR. If any one needs to know ow o do this just PM me.
moparherb is offline Find More Posts by moparherb
Old Jan 16, 2012, 06:31 PM
Seeker of Thermals
United States, MT, Kalispell
Joined Aug 2004
660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparherb View Post
Throttle hold on all Spektrum and JR radios can be configured to completely shut down electric airplanes. It's so easy using mix 3. It's a throttle to throttle mix and it takes about 2 min. to setup. I've used this mix for a few years now. Our club is encouraging all of our members to either use throttle hold or install a shut down device on the electric aircraft. Maybe other transmitters work the same way but I'm sure of it for Spektrum and JR. If any one needs to know ow o do this just PM me.
Sure, I'd like to know how to do it with a DX6i, seeing as how they only have two mixes.

--
Greg
botulism is online now Find More Posts by botulism
Old Jan 16, 2012, 07:22 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparherb View Post
Why not just post it here? Got me curious since I nearly got myself in the neck this past weekend.

I can just read the obituary "he died doing what he loved".....what......bleeding from the corotid artery like a stuck pig?????
JumpySticks is online now Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Jan 16, 2012, 07:26 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,073 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by botulism View Post
Sure, I'd like to know how to do it with a DX6i, seeing as how they only have two mixes.Greg
It's an extremely easy mod on a DX6i and then you don't have to use up one of your 2 mixes. You can do it even if you have the most basic soldering skills. Just take out the gray push button and cut off the plastic mount that held the push button on. Then replace it with any toggle switch that you can get from Radio Shack or a place that sells car stereos. No holes to drill or anything. I really like the feeling of security it gives me.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Jan 16, 2012, 08:01 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2010
412 Posts
EZCanuck is offline Find More Posts by EZCanuck
Last edited by EZCanuck; Jun 17, 2013 at 10:38 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 08:11 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,073 Posts
Quote:
Futaba 7C guy here. I accidentally bought on Radian pro BNF once but was lucky to sell the RX to a friend.
How do you "accidentally" buy a plane? Your wife might fall for that story but we're not fooled.

Seriously, after some of the things I have heard, I am considering switching to Futaba as well.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Jan 16, 2012, 08:47 PM
The "Foaminator"
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2007
2,201 Posts
No offense to any one telling how to setup throttle hold, but to all...

REMOVE THE PROP BEFORE DOING ANY THROTLE PROGRAMING!

I'd like to suggest that when anyone offers any type of throttle programing to add a preface to the instructions with something like the above

Mike R
mikeruth is offline Find More Posts by mikeruth
Old Jan 16, 2012, 08:55 PM
Fly It Like You Stole It.....
United States, NY, Fulton
Joined Jan 2009
379 Posts
Throttle Hold Cutoff

Here is the mix settings so that you can use throttle hold switch to disable your electric motor on electric airplanes. I know this works on DX7, DX8 and JR 9303 and JR 9503. I can see no reason it would not work on DX6I but you will have to try it using a different mix:

I use mix 3
make it a THRO to THRO mix
POS 0 Should be 0% in both Positions
POS 1 make both settings -100% that is minus 100%
you do that by changing the position of throttle stick
Set Offset to -200 that is minus 200
make sure that "mix" is set to position 1
Leave THRO STK Inhibited (INH)

Now when you put the throttle hold switch in position 1 (toward you) the motor will be disabled. Hope this helps and if you have any questions please ask.
moparherb is offline Find More Posts by moparherb
Old Jan 16, 2012, 09:01 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Futaba 7C guy here. I accidentally bought on Radian pro BNF once but was lucky to sell the RX to a friend.

With the Futaba 7C the TH-CUT is N/G except in Heli Mode, BUT, you can use a PMIX to set up a Throttle CUT OFF

and I'll repost it here...
You can create a mix to make a throttle cut off as follows:

-use channel 3 as the master AND slave
-enable the mix with any of your 2 position switches; I normally use switch b
-use mix % of -(minus)100% with the throttle stick in the full and low throttle positions
-move the throttle stick all the way to the low throttle position and set the offset

That's it. With the mix enabled, the throttle will be off, no matter the position of the throttle stick. With the mix off, the throttle operates normally. I use this on all my electric planes and it works great.
Thanks to JOHN07

EZCanuck,

Your post kind of puzzles me.

All I have to do is bring the throttle stick all the way toward me (down) and the motor stops being energized and the break comes on from the ESC.

So why another switch ?

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 16, 2012, 09:06 PM
Seeker of Thermals
United States, MT, Kalispell
Joined Aug 2004
660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zor View Post
EZCanuck,

Your post kind of puzzles me.

All I have to do is bring the throttle stick all the way toward me (down) and the motor stops being energized and the break comes on from the ESC.

So why another switch ?

Zor
Zor - there's a switch in there (switch B in this case) that's acting as a throttle cutoff switch. In one (switch) position, the throttle stick has no effect, it's 'off'. In the other (switch) position, the throttle actuates normally.

--
Greg
botulism is online now Find More Posts by botulism
Old Jan 16, 2012, 09:14 PM
NorCal
Joined Dec 2009
1,716 Posts
10-4 on removing the prop. I came close to hitting my wife in the house when I had a unplanned start. I would be singing high notes now if I had hit her. Bad enough that I took a chunk out of a wooden chair instead.

I also rubber band my throttle stick down any time the motor is not running. Cheap, easy and good habit to get into. If I need to gas it for some reason while landing I can and as soon as I let go it snaps off the power. I quit trying to catch a Radian after I made a bad grab and took off the tail.
Raften is offline Find More Posts by Raften