HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:51 AM
I think I forgot how to fly RC
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by furballll View Post
ah crud what did i start....................

in all seriousness though, yes the tester is a reflective object and will foul the results, all tests should be done on a grass surface(it absorbs probaly 2 db already at 25 feet). if you really want to cheat the system make sure your up wind of the tester.

as for a db measuing tool you can download an app for most iphones that is legal as a testing device here in canada as per the motor vehicle guys so everyone should have one on thier phones.

when our club was first setting up testing rules at the new field the guy that stepped up to lead the testing ignored all the info i sent him and the test he "developed" was useless on anythign that was above a 90 size plane really. he had the tester walk around the plane on a painted circle and they took the max reading no matter what as pass or fail. the big gass planes couldnt be run at full throttle with the two posts in the ground for the time it took to do the test without overheating. finding the ama test cured alot of the whinning and crying at our field, it gave every one a standard test that was well designed. looks to me like the test at your field is very close to this test.(very good to see)

at our electric only park flyer field we had we banned pusher planes and zaggis for how noizy the props are on them as well.

on a side note i am looking at picking up a 50 cc power system to drive my dle 55 ignition and power my radio system is that bec you were mentioning earlier good for that size as well? i bought a damaged 88 inch aw edge 540 with motor but no gear in anymore.
The Tech Aero Ibec works with any gasser system. The voltage output is adjustable to suit the requirements of any ignition system. I have mine set for 6v for the DA ignition, but the end user can set theirs below that for rcexl ignitions.

Regarding the power system for the plane, it all depends on what servo's and receiver you are going to run. If HV servo's and a JR powersafe rec, then I'd just use a couple 2200mAH 2s lipo's for the whole shebang, including feeding the tech aero ibec.

If not HV servo's, then perhaps a couple light A123's such as the ones sold by taildraggerrc.com. Just top off your charge every few flights. Piece of mind with A123's.

Really depends on what your favorite/preferred battery chemistry is, Lipo, LiIon, A123, etc.
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:54 AM
Joined Mar 2007
8,061 Posts
In the "thats pretty damn cool" department.

check it

German Heli Masters 2012: Variable Pitch Propeller! (5 min 14 sec)
!
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:06 AM
Thread Crapper
Lynden, WA
Joined Nov 2000
2,845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupaTim View Post
10 3/4", just way too wide for pretty much every 50cc plane out there. Vitter and I were talking about stuffing one of these inside a 50cc AJ slick but even that monster cowl is EXACTLY 10 3/4" at the widest point. that's part of why I'm "experimenting" on the 33% Aeroworks 260. 96" WS and should come in around 20#. Won't be overpowered but shouldn't be too bad. More of a test bed for the engine at this point.
Thanks, Im thinking for a warbird application, have to measure the cowl yet.
JohnVH is offline Find More Posts by JohnVH
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:31 AM
Renton, Wa.
Joined Feb 2006
1,739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryhavoc38 View Post

check it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFfMA...ayer_embedded#!
Thats too cool.
stevelmaa is offline Find More Posts by stevelmaa
Old Oct 09, 2012, 12:12 PM
ex-noob
Sammamish, WA, USA
Joined Jan 2010
2,389 Posts
I love how he backs it in after the flight!
Lardog is online now Find More Posts by Lardog
Old Oct 09, 2012, 12:17 PM
This ain't my first rodeo...
United States, WA, Orting
Joined Jan 2010
1,404 Posts
VPP still blows my frikkin mind! It was kind of funny at the end when the blades stopped to see they were actually heli blades.

Joe, I'm in the same camp of engines hanging out of the hood like a hot rod if it means more power but apparently it makes our toy airplanes look less like the real thing.
SupaTim is offline Find More Posts by SupaTim
Old Oct 09, 2012, 12:27 PM
Joined Jan 2010
1,404 Posts
Pushed through last night and got "baby red" all buttoned up and ready to go! The 60 twin is breathing fire with the cowl on and I actually got CG within the range with only adding a second RX battery and a little larger Fiji bottle, figured if I was gonna add weight it might as well be usable! Haven't weighed anything yet but shooting for a lunchtime maiden...

Name: IMG-20121009-01072.jpg
Views: 24
Size: 182.4 KB
Description: Name: IMG-20121009-01074.jpg
Size: 181.2 KB
Description: Name: IMG-20121009-01073.jpg
Size: 200.0 KB
Description:

Name: IMG-20121009-01067.jpg
Views: 27
Size: 189.3 KB
Description: Name: IMG-20121009-01075.jpg
Views: 29
Size: 232.4 KB
Description: Name: IMG-20121009-01065.jpg
Views: 28
Size: 241.0 KB
Description:
Old Oct 09, 2012, 12:32 PM
Joined Mar 2007
8,061 Posts
Nice kit.
Its this one yours, or a build/maiden for a customer?
Old Oct 09, 2012, 12:38 PM
Joined Jan 2010
1,404 Posts
Thanks Cry, this one is the shop's plane but if I'm happy with it may become a "daily driver" til I get my 50cc and 100cc fleet up and running again. More than anything it's an airframe to log hours on the 60 twin with. So far everyone has had great successes with the other new DLE rear exhaust engines but no one knows anything about the twin. That's where I come in...
Old Oct 09, 2012, 12:55 PM
Go Fly Yourself...!!
United States, WA, Bonney Lake
Joined Oct 2004
1,544 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Cry..
Two things were cool in that vid...

- The VPP prop and all it can make the plane do..
And
- in a German accent: Lawwer. Lawwer, Lawwer!!

D-Man
xxD-Manxx is offline Find More Posts by xxD-Manxx
Old Oct 09, 2012, 12:57 PM
Joined Mar 2007
8,061 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Cry, this one is the shop's plane but if I'm happy with it may become a "daily driver" til I get my 50cc and 100cc fleet up and running again. More than anything it's an airframe to log hours on the 60 twin with. So far everyone has had great successes with the other new DLE rear exhaust engines but no one knows anything about the twin. That's where I come in...
sweet gig!
Old Oct 09, 2012, 01:02 PM
Joined Jan 2010
1,404 Posts
Hell yeah! It's the kind of gig that doesn't pay, but it fuels and offsets my addiction (I mean hobby) and gets my mitts on some pretty neat stuff once in a while!
Old Oct 09, 2012, 01:30 PM
Sammamish WA
Joined Sep 2003
1,027 Posts
Quote:
Hell yeah! It's the kind of gig that doesn't pay, but it fuels and offsets my addiction (I mean hobby) and gets my mitts on some pretty neat stuff once in a while!
Its nice having a first crack report and get to see your (VV) new stuff from you as well.
pro bro steve is online now Find More Posts by pro bro steve
Old Oct 09, 2012, 02:14 PM
Joined Mar 2007
8,061 Posts
Steve did you just score that DA50 at that absolutely low price?
Old Oct 09, 2012, 04:32 PM
Sammamish WA
Joined Sep 2003
1,027 Posts
Quote:
Steve did you just score that DA50 at that absolutely low price?
No I must of just missed it. I was viewer 10 . O well he had only 1 good feedback on RCU 2 years ago. No big deal.
pro bro steve is online now Find More Posts by pro bro steve