Wonderful design !
Jurgen is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2010, 04:36 PM
Joined Jan 2004
919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVSS Boss View Post
Still no servos in the thing yet Joe, waiting for the High Voltage 378's and 388's to come in, should be in the next ten days.

I am about to bust, both from not flying and the cast thingy.

Marc
Yah, set of Growlers on the way

sj
SmokinJoe101 is offline Find More Posts by SmokinJoe101
Old Mar 07, 2010, 04:38 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,792 Posts
Well, Marc, I'll offer my services... free of charge... Send it to Clovis and I'll maiden it for you and let you know how it flys... again... free of charge...

I'm always here for you... you know that...

Jack
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Mar 08, 2010, 07:55 AM
F3B
Warwickshire, England
Joined Sep 2006
5,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVSS Boss View Post
Could not stand it, great day for some pics, and yesterday I put on the graphics I got from Kirby Custom Graphics in Lebanon, OH. Dennis takes great care of me and the AMA number is one example. The "Cluster" is in a font that he did not have, Dennis took something close, and as he said, messaged it to get it close. It is not dead nuts, but close enough no one would ever notice, and I like it, and that is all that matters. He is also very reasonable, all this stuff, another AMA # and one other item were under $20.00. You can find Dennis and KCG at www.kirbysgraphics.com

Marc
Larger stickers are going to degrade the performance far more than a gram or two of weight!
satinet is online now Find More Posts by satinet
Old Mar 08, 2010, 10:12 AM
Joined Mar 2003
3,045 Posts
Quote:
Larger stickers are going to degrade the performance far more than a gram or two of weight!
To what degree? Is it measurable?

Clay
ClayH is online now Find More Posts by ClayH
Old Mar 08, 2010, 11:27 AM
Sink Stinks
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
4,342 Posts
The initials "JR" alone are an indication of an inherent degradation of performance!!

Sorry, couldn't help myself!!!
Silent-AV8R is online now Find More Posts by Silent-AV8R
Old Mar 08, 2010, 01:36 PM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,913 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayH View Post
To what degree? Is it measurable?

Clay
Hi Clay,

Actual degradation? Yes. Noticeable? Not likely. Measurable? Only by guys with wind tunnels, and instruments. Is it something you can point to that cost you making that last target time? More likely is it where you flew, and how you flew, not whether there were sticker on your wing.

Kind regards,

Mike
FLY F3B is offline Find More Posts by FLY F3B
Old Mar 08, 2010, 01:39 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,792 Posts
I'd be willing to bet that where these are located, above the wing/fuselage interference, and behind the flap wiper, that there no measurable degradation of performance. The flow is going to be turbulent there, anyway...

Jack
Old Mar 08, 2010, 02:00 PM
F3B
Warwickshire, England
Joined Sep 2006
5,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R View Post
The initials "JR" alone are an indication of an inherent degradation of performance!!

Sorry, couldn't help myself!!!
lol.
Old Mar 08, 2010, 02:01 PM
F3B
Warwickshire, England
Joined Sep 2006
5,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLY F3B View Post
Hi Clay,

Actual degradation? Yes. Noticeable? Not likely. Measurable? Only by guys with wind tunnels, and instruments. Is it something you can point to that cost you making that last target time? More likely is it where you flew, and how you flew, not whether there were sticker on your wing.

Kind regards,

Mike
totally true, but if you are worried about saving 10g from a model with 74dm2 of wing area...........
Old Mar 08, 2010, 02:36 PM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,958 Posts
Tom, ya gotta let this sticker "thing" of yours go you know....
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Mar 08, 2010, 03:04 PM
Joined Nov 2005
3,556 Posts
Satinet, I am losing more than a scant 10 grams, I ditched 20 on the wire harness alone. In all the work, I will save ~50grams, and ya, that aint much I know. But since JR is nice enough to support me and soaring here in the USA, I am going to support and advertise them on my ships. And you know, last year when I won the National Champiopnship in Unlimited class sailplanes, that same vinyl was on that ship too.

Yes, you might be able to see a statistically insignificant bump on the lift curve, but I can screw up a flight a lot easier all by myself

Marc
R.M. Gellart is offline Find More Posts by R.M. Gellart
Last edited by R.M. Gellart; Mar 08, 2010 at 03:10 PM.
Old Mar 08, 2010, 03:53 PM
RIP MC
United States, CA, Midway City
Joined Dec 2003
3,269 Posts
I thought I had read this somewhere awhile ago when someone ask if leading eadge reflective tape would degrade the performance of the wings and the answer was that it needed to be more than .010 inches thick (about 3 sheets of standard copy paper) and that any stickers applied after the high point of the wing won't matter as much.

Can anyone comment on this? I tried to do a search but didn't come up with anything.

Thanks.
fnnwizard is online now Find More Posts by fnnwizard
Old Mar 08, 2010, 04:30 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,792 Posts
That would depend on how far back the laminar flow stays attached to the wing. I suspect on the chords we use at the speeds we fly, it separates about at the flap line or slightly before. SOmeone that's looked at this with a wind tunnel might have a MUCH better perspective on this. However, on a full-scale wing, even waviness of .004 over a 2" section will make the laminar flow separate, and that's without the edges...
Old Mar 08, 2010, 04:38 PM
United States, VA, Falls Church
Joined Mar 2007
1,368 Posts
Tuan, et all...

This is certainly not quantifiable or scientific, but a few years ago, I was launching one of my V-Ultras, and from the previous day of flying, had pulled the wing tape off, and stuck it to the top of one of my wing tips. It was white, the wing was white.... So when I put the model back together, I left it on one of the wings at about 20-30% chord spanweise. It was maybe 8" long. On launch, it got ugly, and the model pulled SUPER hard to the side where the tape was. It required all my rudder, and a bit of aileron to get the model up tow... When I got the model on the ground, I noticed what my mistake was. After removing the tape, it went perfectly straight up tow (well as straight as a V-Pig could go)... In any case, ever since then, I refuse to put tape or stickers on the upper surface of my wings.

Like I say, not scientific or quantifiable, but... makes me feel better. Your mileage may vary...

D
Daryl Perkins is offline Find More Posts by Daryl Perkins