HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Robert May, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 06, 2012, 05:48 PM
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
While I was waiting for the mould to cool down and set I turned up a new acorn, when things start to go wrong inevitably even if the plug isn't damaged, the cleaning up often takes longer than making a new one.
As you can see the primer fused itself to the hot rubber which wouldn't have been so bad if the surface was even and not full of bubbles.

Attempt 2
The grain on any wooden plug needs to be sealed so plug 2 got treated to a coat of thin Cyno (ZAP) which goes off to form a very hard sandable sealer that can be rubbed down to with 600 and 800 grit wet and dry paper. Once sanded smooth the plug was dried out with a hot air gun to get rid of any moisture in the wood. Although there was a bubble free pour for attempt 2, the plug would not release cleanly from the rubber mould, so I abandonded this method in favour of an ingot pour. I will post those photos tomorrow I have just seen the time.
Robert May is offline Find More Posts by Robert May
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 21, 2012, 09:49 AM
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
Sorry all, that took longer than I expected, I had a Chimney to remove, a floor to lay and walls to board and plaster, then Chris Golds got in a bit of a hole with the spinners on his latest model; an Avro York (Lancaster variant). That required a few hours with the lathe plus drilling and tapping 36 x 2.5mm holes.

All those jobs are done so all I have to do is get this build log up to date before I fire up the home build charcoal furnace that I put together at the tail end of last week.

I know progress is a bit slow but here is more the learning and development process for the bronze shoe for the bowsprit, I am posting it here to hopefully encourage others that if a scale Whatnot isn't available for a particular model then we have all been gifted with the ability to experiment and hopefully if we persevere we will end up with a passable Whatnot.
Last edited by Robert May; Jul 21, 2012 at 04:50 PM.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 10:45 AM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,948 Posts
Thats Very crafty work there !

Typical excellence form your shop.
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 11:04 AM
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
Charcoal Furnace

Costing up the required commercial tools has an electric burnout furnace coming in at 1200, plus another 700 for safety crucible furnace and another 600 for a centrifugal casting machine. 2500 to cast a single shoe seems a tad on the heavy side so here goes another experiment.

Required,
2.5l paint pot
terracotta flower pot to fit hole
cement
glass filler beads.
Vasa 55 EDF unit
300 brushed 12 motor
2 tin cans, a stick and some charcoal.

Not many folk will get EDF into the Scale sailbots forum!
Last edited by Robert May; Jul 21, 2012 at 12:04 PM.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 12:20 PM
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim B. View Post
Thats Very crafty work there !

Typical excellence form your shop.
Thank you Tim, I think that posting the progress of the small detail of the model is actually helping. It is surprising how much extra effort and re-working goes into things knowing that the Macro lens is going to show up small imperfections that at this scale are almost invisible.

I know that I have benefited over the years for magazine articles and hopefully by posting how I have ended up with my results someone else will be able to save a few hours or $ attempting things for themselves.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 12:01 PM
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
There is a modelling god! I had a call from a chap in East Devon who saw this thread and put me in touch with a man he knows who does bronze casting for a living. I needed a nice piece of seasoned Oak for a threshold so had a day out.
Axminster Power tools, Devon Hardwoods and Devon Metalcrafts.

Devon Metalcrafts will add 10 of my wax patterns to their next cast which will be once they return from their summer shutdown. I know I only need one but the economics of the offer were that one is the same price as 10.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 11:44 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,948 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert May View Post
Devon Metalcrafts will add 10 of my wax patterns to their next cast which will be once they return from their summer shutdown
And are they still on holiday ???
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:08 AM
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim B. View Post
And are they still on holiday ???

Sorry Tim, it seems as soon as I am observed building the Waveney it is assumed I have nothing better to do.

It seems the house is not big enough and needs extending so I am just digging out foundations, ready to build walls, cut a roof build a chimney and install a Log burner!....... All by Christmas
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:31 AM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,948 Posts
Busted !

You might consider my method, I use a life size cardboard cut out of myself with a spring loaded arm that appears to be pulling weeds, carefully placed in the yard ...
Old Apr 06, 2014, 06:03 AM
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
Sorry all I was duped into thinking installing a woodburner by Christmas 2012 would be the end of it. The 4x1 metre foundation I was digging last time I posted resulted in 320 sqft of extension on the front and side of the house, a complete felt batten and re-roof, a 60 sqft Lych gate style garden room in Chestnut, Oak and Slated roof and then finally to finish off a wet room off the master suite.
I am not complaining though I have thoroughly enjoyed 18 solid months of graft where I have added some very traditional skills to those learnt at school and the boatyard.
I found a traditional wood yard for the garden room and delighted in turning a 15 year air seasoned Chestnut tree into a room that meets full UK building regulations yet in a traditional cum contemprary style. There is something very satisfying hand cutting over 70 1 1/2" mortice and tenon joints of various styles; Tusk, long and short shoulder and mitred. One of the things I discovered was that my stubby 'inchenarf' Sorby chisel is about 225 year old. It is one that has been handed down and used 4 of my generations of the family.

Anyhow most of the work is done and although I really could do with the challenge of business again the Waveney is finally going to get some attention. Last week I got wind that my old boat was in a boatshed again having some planks fitted, the chap it was sold to 'a boat builder' had left the boat on moorings and over wintered my beloved boat with the floors in place resulting in rotting out larch planking that was only 5 years old.
Last edited by Robert May; Apr 06, 2014 at 12:14 PM.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 04:09 AM
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
Here is a photo of Kingcup's bow planking it shows how the first plank out from the garboard as a massive twist of about 80 degrees in the space of 3 ft, going from near horizontal to near vertical. It is challenging enough to achieve full size but at 1/6th scale it is a little more than a challenge.
Last edited by Robert May; Apr 11, 2014 at 04:16 AM.