SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 16, 2015, 08:48 AM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Feb 2004
84 Posts
Thanks for all the imput. The wing screws are kind of lame did anyone mod this or use something else? just wanted to know thanks. My car is small and undoing the wing each time I'm afraid that i may break those weak plastic screws.
Brad Peters is offline Find More Posts by Brad Peters
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2015, 10:32 AM
dbc
United States, FL, Brooksville
Joined Apr 2008
1,929 Posts
The plastic wing screws, and even the spar tube, appear to be a little undersized. Someone earlier, (Megaton?) bent the aluminum tube. Several of us have reinforced it with a wooden dowel glued inside or substituting a carbon fiber tube.

The wing screw threads into a plastic nut inside the wing and eventually loosens after a few cycles of installation/removal. I don't remove the wings but I could see this becoming a problem for those who do.

Substituting steal thumbscrews would help but wouldn't cure the problem of wear on the plastic nut inside the wing. Maybe someone else has better suggestions.
dbc is offline Find More Posts by dbc
Last edited by dbc; Jan 16, 2015 at 10:39 AM.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 11:58 AM
Joined Feb 2004
84 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbc View Post
The plastic wing screws, and even the spar tube, appear to be a little undersized. Someone earlier, (Megaton?) bent the aluminum tube. Several of us have reinforced it with a wooden dowel glued inside or substituting a carbon fiber tube.

The wing screw threads into a plastic nut inside the wing and eventually loosens after a few cycles of installation/removal. I don't remove the wings but I could see this becoming a problem for those who do.

Substituting steal thumbscrews would help but wouldn't cure the problem of wear on the plastic nut inside the wing. Maybe someone else has better suggestions.
thanks for the reply
Old Jan 16, 2015, 07:16 PM
United States, MO, Fenton
Joined Jan 2012
2,693 Posts
New vid from Phoenix

SONIC LOW WING MK2 GP/EP .25-.32 ARF SCALE 1:10 PH125 PHOENIXMODEL (2 min 14 sec)

Not a clue to what has been changed...
Fentonflyers is online now Find More Posts by Fentonflyers
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2015, 01:32 PM
Joined Jul 2007
630 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fentonflyers View Post
New vid from Phoenix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3YuZx8zZmQ

Not a clue to what has been changed...
Looks like the wing uses two bolts at the bottom rather than four at the sides.
Also, the rudder looks a bit different.

Tim
_HypnoToad_ is online now Find More Posts by _HypnoToad_
Old Jan 17, 2015, 04:06 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,929 Posts
The video actually looks like the first generation glow-only Sonic. It's wings attached like that and it did not have a removable canopy.

It seems like our version should be called Mk2 and if there is a new one it should be called Mk3.

You just never know for sure what's going on with Phoenix models. There's all sorts of conflicting information on the Phoenix Cessna 182 that I have been waiting on for eight months.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 10:38 PM
Joined Feb 2004
84 Posts
Ok well I figured out how to improve on the wing screws. The bolt size is almost a 8/32 so I had some aluminum screws from an old Associated rc10 that where 5/8" long cut the heads off carefully ran a tap in the wing and CA'd them in place got some nylon wing nuts at locale hardware store and there you have it works awesome.
http://www.teamassociated.com/parts/details/8439/
Old Jan 29, 2015, 10:47 PM
umpf umpf
United States, NV, Sparks
Joined Nov 2008
403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Peters View Post
Ok well I figured out how to improve on the wing screws. The bolt size is almost a 8/32 so I had some aluminum screws from an old Associated rc10 that where 5/8" long cut the heads off carefully ran a tap in the wing and CA'd them in place got some nylon wing nuts at locale hardware store and there you have it works awesome.
http://www.teamassociated.com/parts/details/8439/
Excellent modification.
basser is online now Find More Posts by basser
Old Jan 29, 2015, 11:49 PM
Joined Feb 2004
84 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by basser View Post
Excellent modification.
Thanks it was such a pain to get the wings off for transport it b early fit in the car.
Old Yesterday, 03:17 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,929 Posts
That is a very innovative solution to the wing bolt issue, Brad. I would never have thought of that.
Old Yesterday, 06:54 PM
Joined Feb 2004
84 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbc View Post
That is a very innovative solution to the wing bolt issue, Brad. I would never have thought of that.
Thanks I was going try and use some kind of clip but this works much better really strong too.