SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 02, 2013, 05:07 PM
Joined Sep 2013
17 Posts
Discussion
Can a model rocket kill?

Can a model rocket kill? I mean, like one of the e - g sizes? I guess the plastic casing might have something to do with with it, but lets take that out of the question.

Also i'm not planning to kill anyone with a model rocket lmao.

or am i?.........
JellyBoat is offline Find More Posts by JellyBoat
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2013, 06:07 PM
United States, UT, Herriman
Joined Jan 2012
2,461 Posts
I wouldn't have thought a model heli could kill someone, but one recently did. Just assume it can, and treat it with respect, and you shouldn't have any trouble.

Given that you have no control once you ignite the motor, treat it like a loaded gun.

Never point at a person, keep the launch angle high, make sure the fins are in good shape.
ttabbal is online now Find More Posts by ttabbal
Old Oct 02, 2013, 08:21 PM
Joined Sep 2013
17 Posts
Yeah, I just wanna know the science side.
Old Oct 03, 2013, 03:45 PM
United States, VA, Winchester
Joined Aug 2005
56 Posts
http://www.nar.org/pdf/launchsafe.pdf is worth reading.
WillMarchant is offline Find More Posts by WillMarchant
Old Oct 03, 2013, 04:47 PM
United States, NC, Durham
Joined Apr 2011
289 Posts
They can most definately kill someone not much to discuss. It doesnt have to be one of the engines larger than a D either.
Xfactor940 is offline Find More Posts by Xfactor940
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 03, 2013, 05:39 PM
Joined Sep 2013
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xfactor940 View Post
They can most definately kill someone not much to discuss. It doesnt have to be one of the engines larger than a D either.
Uhh Ok...

(don't read) i feel like im talking about some banned topic....
Old Oct 04, 2013, 01:13 AM
Post Captian
United States, CA, El Mirage
Joined Sep 2013
141 Posts
The only reason I made a recovery system for my largest rocket was to keep it from killing or injuring someone on its way back down.fully fulled it will weigh 3 pounds.
qwerty_2008 is offline Find More Posts by qwerty_2008
Last edited by qwerty_2008; Nov 02, 2013 at 11:17 PM.
Old Oct 04, 2013, 05:47 PM
St Catharines Canada
Joined May 2002
920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyBoat View Post
Uhh Ok...
(don't read) i feel like im talking about some banned topic....
Thats because its a no brainer. If you can't see that then please avoid model rocketry.

qwerty_2008: I'll give you another possible reason which may not apply to where you live but where I do, its illegal [federal law] to launch a rocket without an operational recovery system. That rocket would be classed as high power by reason of weight and it would be illegal to launch save by a certified member of one of the national rocketry organizations. Please check out NAR or TRA and find a club near you. Or are you talking about water rockets?

No one has been killed by model rocketry in North America since the hobby started. AFAIK. Lets keep it that way.

Richard
The Tellurian is offline Find More Posts by The Tellurian
Last edited by The Tellurian; Oct 04, 2013 at 05:59 PM.
Old Oct 07, 2013, 02:22 PM
Post Captian
Joined Sep 2013
141 Posts
It is a KnO3 (sugar) fueled rocket which is not the best fuel but it is the cheapest and easiest to work with when it comes to homemade fuel. One of the reasons it is so heavy is because it needs more fuel to launch because the KnO3 fuel is less powerful then modern composite fuels.
Old Oct 07, 2013, 07:51 PM
St Catharines Canada
Joined May 2002
920 Posts
Your reasoning is false. 'Rocket candy' as its known is perfectly usable in small rockets. It seems there are fundamentals missing here so please do more research, find those in your area willing to mentor. This forum is not adequate for that.

Richard
The Tellurian is offline Find More Posts by The Tellurian
Old Oct 08, 2013, 02:09 AM
Post Captian
Joined Sep 2013
141 Posts
I have made a number of smaller rcandy rockets in the past the reason I made the big one was because I had some 3" cardboard tubes laying around. Instead of waiting around for a launch that will probably never happen I should just scrap the big rocket and go back to making small ones. Rocketry is not my main hobby (if it can even be called one of my hobby's more like an interest) far from it actually I mostly build model ships and RC sailboats.
I have hijacked this tread long enough.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 09:01 PM
Joined Nov 2013
22 Posts
I've only been to one large rocketry event (in Kansas) and I witnessed a 6 foot scale V2 rocket pile-drive itself into the ground when the recovery system failed. It was at the bottom of a hole in the ground that was at least 2 feet deep. Apparently there was nothing left to salvage but, ironically, the parachute.

There was no question in my mind that if it had come down on someone they would have been killed instantly.

I should mention too it came down not 50 yards from the spectators.
JKCalhoun is offline Find More Posts by JKCalhoun
Old Jan 26, 2014, 11:54 AM
Arrowhead
Joined Dec 2010
1,471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCalhoun View Post
I've only been to one large rocketry event (in Kansas) and I witnessed a 6 foot scale V2 rocket pile-drive itself into the ground when the recovery system failed. It was at the bottom of a hole in the ground that was at least 2 feet deep. Apparently there was nothing left to salvage but, ironically, the parachute.

There was no question in my mind that if it had come down on someone they would have been killed instantly.

I should mention too it came down not 50 yards from the spectators.
That's the typical irony of a large, HPR lawn dart. The one thing that could have saved the rocket is usually the only thing to survive the impact.

A few years ago, Estes had a recall on an RTF SR-71 rocket. Not very big, even by Estes' standards... but apparently one had lawn darted, and on its way down, one of the wings grazed someone's arm requiring stitches. A thin fin or wing moving at speed, is essentially a knife. Doesn't matter if it's Balsa, cardboard, plastic or steel. It can cut. And if it can cut... it has the potential to be lethal.

Fly safe!
CF105 is offline Find More Posts by CF105
Old Jan 15, 2015, 08:38 PM
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Apr 2013
58 Posts
Witness 38mm that came in ballistic

This was an experimental flight using propellant of AP and Epoxy mix. The problem was it failed to deploy the chute and it came in ballistic. We were all lucky that day because of the early warning and nobody was within 25 feet of impact. What stopped it from being a lawn dart was a roof of a parked Volvo at the launch site. By the way a very clean hole and a costly repair ....Yes it can kill.
Wild Doogie is offline Find More Posts by Wild Doogie