HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 24, 2014, 06:24 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,836 Posts
Two (2) Lives Saved by this Aircraft!

Following a mid-air with a helicopter this aircraft with a parachute system saved its two occupants after the quick deployment of the Parachute and slowed the aircraft down before landing on top of some trees near the airport.

http://news.yahoo.com/police-plane-h...203423275.html

PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2014, 07:03 AM
Fly low
Joined Jan 2012
191 Posts
After a while in the build process, I finally maidened my Cirrus.

A friend helped build it and he did an excellent job.

Plane is powered by an RCGF 32 engine which so far has been very impressive.

It flew quite well in blustery conditions.

I was cautious when landing so full flaps all the way. The plane does fly well with full flaps down.

The nose wheel was always a concern for me after the many posts about it. I found that there was some slop in the nose wheel bracket after the first flight. I flew a second flight and it was ok but I have pulled it off to inspect and foudn that the nylon was ok but there was a little play between the nose wheel wire and the brass bush.

I am now going to see if I can get a full aluminum or brass replacement mount made up as I feel that the nylon mount will eventually break. I am using an RCGF Pitts muffler and the gap between the muffler and the nose wheel mount is only about 1-2mm so I don't think the heat will help the nose wheel mount.

Glad to finally have it in the air and hopefully many more flights to come.

Thanks to all on this thread for helping me get to this point.
silly is offline Find More Posts by silly
Old Dec 29, 2014, 05:53 PM
United States, RI, West Warwick
Joined Mar 2009
204 Posts
So I picked up one of these planes as an Xmas gift for me. I have a few quick questions. I attached all the control surfaces last night. Have a little concern over the throw for the ailerons. They only move about 1/2" or so. I know the recommended rates are very low anyway, but I have never had the actual deflection of a surface this low before. Usually there's tons of throw and you tame them down with the radio settings. So is this normal?

Second question is in regards to the battery. Will be using a DLE 35 for it so need a separate receiver battery. Trying to decide if I should go with a redundant system with 2 - 6v NIMH or a 3200mah Life battery.

Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks!!
viper1216 is offline Find More Posts by viper1216
Old Dec 30, 2014, 07:00 AM
*It Ain't Lookin Good*
Evansville IN
Joined Aug 2004
1,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper1216 View Post
So I picked up one of these planes as an Xmas gift for me. I have a few quick questions. I attached all the control surfaces last night. Have a little concern over the throw for the ailerons. They only move about 1/2" or so. I know the recommended rates are very low anyway, but I have never had the actual deflection of a surface this low before. Usually there's tons of throw and you tame them down with the radio settings. So is this normal?

Second question is in regards to the battery. Will be using a DLE 35 for it so need a separate receiver battery. Trying to decide if I should go with a redundant system with 2 - 6v NIMH or a 3200mah Life battery.

Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks!!
I had this plane earlier this year. I was also running the DLE 35RA. I used a 2500 6.0V for the onboard equipment and a 2500 4.8V on the ignition. You need all the throw you can get on the ailerons or it will be very slow to roll. Not down elevator mix is need when using full flaps. Works very well. Keep an eye on the nylon pieces on the doors as they will start to eat into the fiber glass very quickly from the vibration.
olezippi is offline Find More Posts by olezippi
Old Dec 30, 2014, 07:25 AM
United States, RI, West Warwick
Joined Mar 2009
204 Posts
Thanks olezippi. I usually use the same battery setup you have, but I had a nimh pack die on me and I obliterated my AW Extra 300. That was why I was thinking either the Life or the redundant system. As far as the ailerons go, does the half inch I'm getting sound right? I don't see how I can get more throw out of these due to the way they are designed.
viper1216 is offline Find More Posts by viper1216
Old Dec 30, 2014, 07:33 AM
*It Ain't Lookin Good*
Evansville IN
Joined Aug 2004
1,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper1216 View Post
Thanks olezippi. I usually use the same battery setup you have, but I had a nimh pack die on me and I obliterated my AW Extra 300. That was why I was thinking either the Life or the redundant system. As far as the ailerons go, does the half inch I'm getting sound right? I don't see how I can get more throw out of these due to the way they are designed.
I know what you mean but any battery can go bad at any time. You can move the aileron away from the trailing edge of the wing a little before gluing. This will give you a little more. Mine flew fine for scale flying. The H9 video of the plane shows it has a very fast roll rate. Note sure how they got that much roll.
olezippi is offline Find More Posts by olezippi
Old Jan 27, 2015, 09:27 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Jan 2015
1 Posts
Hi all!

It's my first post here, but have been reading this particular thread now for the last couple of weeks upon the purchase of my Cirrus.

Have to say, thankyou to everyone posting on here for things to look out for etc! It's certainly a great help to know what to look out for before sending her up into the air!

First impressions of the kit though are very impressive I have to say. I fell in love with it when I saw a pair of the fly at the BMFA Nationals here in the UK flown by Team Horizon.
Luckily though I haven't suffered from the majority of the issues that people on here have experienced on here; gap in firewall, mis aligned control surfaces, acheiving the 60mm flap travel etc

I've just reached the point of fitting the undercarriage last night, (Take it back about my comment above actually, those wheel pants are a right PITA to get on when the wheels fitted!!), and picked up on the point of the nose wheel bracket bending/snapping for some people. Given the strip I fly from is grass and not the flattest, I decided best to not even bother with the nylon bracket. Luckily a guy from my flying site is very handy with a lathe and milling equipment, and managed to make me a metal one!

I've also picked up on the unfortunate incident that 'indydrt33' had regarding the weak wing root, so i'll make sure to try and get some epoxy in there to try and reinforce it a little before it's maiden.

Other than that though, it's been a relatively simple build. Hoping this evening I can get the nose wheel servo and motor installed (I've gone for the electric Power 160 setup)

Just can't wait to get her up in the air! Just hope the weather plays a little kinder here in the UK in the next couple of weeks to give me chance to go and play

Thanks again all

Ryan
Ryanfsr is offline Find More Posts by Ryanfsr