Old Aug 26, 2015, 09:18 PM
SC1
Find More Posts by SC1
SC1
United States, LA, Zachary
Joined Jul 2003
489 Posts
Discussion
Battery question for you sport flyers...

… not 3D guys; I know ya'll work your batteries a lot harder.

The question is, given normal usage in a sport plane (i.e., not constant full throttle) and careful maintenance (i.e., storage charge after each use, regardless of how many times I re-charged that day), what is the expected life of a quality lipo battery like the E-Flites?

I have four 4S 3200mAh 20C (Horizon stock # EFLB32004S) sticks that I purchased when I began e-power just over two years ago. They are still going strong, with no apparent diminished capacity or output.

Is this "normal"? How long should I reasonably expect them to last before its time to replace them?

I know that nicads and NiMH can last many years if properly cared for, but I was under the impression that lipos have shorter lives.

Appreciate any information…

SC1 is offline Find More Posts by SC1
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 26, 2015, 10:29 PM
Find More Posts by Ira NZ
Bombs away! Err...landing
Upper Hutt, New Zealand
Joined Apr 2006
2,974 Posts
I'd expect 2 years would be about average. If they die now you probably did ok, last longer and you're doing well. I had some that died after 6 years. They probably got a cycle maybe 1-2 times per month. I think they lasted longer than I'd reasonably expect.
Ira NZ is online now Find More Posts by Ira NZ
Old Aug 26, 2015, 11:34 PM
Find More Posts by hoppy
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
22,051 Posts
5+ years.

Conditions that increase cycle life.
The less the battery is discharged, the longer the cycle life.
The lower the full charge voltage, " " "
The lower the C-discharge rate, " " "
Storage at 3.78V and 40F maximises cycle life.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Aug 27, 2015, 12:00 AM
Find More Posts by Jaketheone46
Jaketheone46
United States, KY, Florence
Joined Nov 2014
994 Posts
I'll go with hoppy on this one. I've had packs providing there well taken care of that have lasted going on 6 years right now. Matter of fact the ones I use in my scale trucks which are super easy on lipos. I'll go 2 straight hours on a 4000 mah pack while we are out just scale trailing. That's just a example of how easy the trucks are on a pack. Anyway my first lipos ever were for my scale trucks and are as good as new and 6 years old. I'm very picky with my vehicles planes and gear. All is kept tip top and the lipos are treated very well. I'm sure this helps.
Jaketheone46 is offline Find More Posts by Jaketheone46
Old Aug 27, 2015, 02:19 PM
Find More Posts by James_S
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined May 2014
2,330 Posts
E-Flite LiPos are not known to be anything special, not to say they're junk, but I don't think they're any better than any other budget battery.
James_S is online now Find More Posts by James_S
Old Aug 27, 2015, 07:38 PM
Find More Posts by Rhea
Thinking about flying
United States, MN, Eden Prairie
Joined Oct 2008
1,519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC1 View Post
. . . . . a quality lipo battery like the E-Flites?. . . .
That’s an oxymoron. Quality Lipo battery and E-flite do not necessarily go together.

I had some Thunder Power batteries go for about five years and that was when I didn’t know better and I left them at full charge for long periods.

Now I charge and store my batteries properly but I run them hard (not 3D but hard sport flying) and I’m still happy if they are good for two or three years.
I don’t know if there is a “normal” as you are asking. I just fly ‘em ‘til they are not doing what I would like and then move on. Batteries are cheap these days.
Rhea is offline Find More Posts by Rhea
Old Aug 28, 2015, 06:02 AM
Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
14,636 Posts
I have Zippy Rhinos that are at least 5 yrs old and still going strong. A little lower flight time but still working fine.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Aug 28, 2015, 09:36 AM
Find More Posts by Dave H.
Joined Feb 2008
3,016 Posts
All this talk about years seems so vague to me. I probably have some rarely used packs that are over 5 years old. On the other hand, the packs for my main models get cycled once a day about 200 days per year. They typically last around 2 years before I see some issues - not dead, but replacing them with new packs produces significantly more power.
Dave H. is online now Find More Posts by Dave H.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 02:02 PM
Find More Posts by James_S
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined May 2014
2,330 Posts
Quite a few of us can't fly every day, or 200 days a year. I'm probably lucky to get out flying 40 days a year, and most of those days I only fly one or two of my planes. That said, when I'm able to fly on a day off work I might be out there for a few hours and put half a dozen cycles on every battery I bring.
James_S is online now Find More Posts by James_S
Old Aug 28, 2015, 05:01 PM
Find More Posts by Dave H.
Joined Feb 2008
3,016 Posts
Yes - one person's "lipo-year" could be a very different measure from another person's. I seem to get around 400 cycles out of packs that are moderately highly loaded - say 10Cish. I suspect that would be more or less true whether the cycles occurred in one year or five. I get fewer cycles on EDFs running 20C loads.
Dave H. is online now Find More Posts by Dave H.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 11:27 AM
SC1
Find More Posts by SC1
SC1
United States, LA, Zachary
Joined Jul 2003
489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhea View Post
I don’t know if there is a “normal” as you are asking.
I'm getting that picture.

SC1 is offline Find More Posts by SC1