Find More Posts by Charlescd
Quebec Aerotow Association
Canada, QC, st-jean-sur-richelieu
Joined May 2010
662 Posts
Build Log
Hacker Free with optional Evo Backpack Harness

Hi guys,

I started my RC-Free today and also ordered the Evo Harness in order to install bigger batteries and more weight.

Not much text as it's straight forward. It will be a picture build

All of this is available from Hacker USA.

Here are the goods laid out on the table:
Charlescd is online now Find More Posts by Charlescd
Last edited by Charlescd; Aug 11, 2015 at 08:25 PM. Reason: spelling
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2015, 08:24 PM
Joined May 2010
662 Posts
I basically followed the manual and exchanged the regular harness for the Evo harness and the regular metal seat for the Evo metal seat.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 08:25 PM
Joined May 2010
662 Posts
to be continued.....
Old Aug 14, 2015, 05:50 PM
Joined May 2010
662 Posts
A little bit more done today.

The ESC is fun to install in this harness. It's also on the outside so this gives more room inside to work.

The servos are tested and programmed, wires tucked away and the receiver is installed with the antenna running on the outside.

I tested the harness and I can fit a 3s 5000 mah battery. It's a 155mm long battery
Old Aug 18, 2015, 08:44 PM
Joined May 2010
662 Posts
I ordered the correct servo horns in order to install the arm kit. The arm kit goes on very easily.

Then it was the motor and prop and a foam pad at the bottom of the rucksack in order to protect the lipo in case of a hard landing.

The brake lines require a length of 28cm starting from the D-ring so I made a quick measuring tool that you can carry around at the field. It's a simple fishing swivel with a rope that is marked at 28cm. Dead easy to measure every time.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 08:50 PM
Joined May 2010
662 Posts
The first flight went very well. It was in 10kmh winds and I had the free at 1.6kg. All I can say is wow !!! What great flight characteristics. The first minute was really bizarre as I never flew a single skin wing before. It's slower than a double skin but reacts more to the wind.

Note to self -- add expo on the radio. (forgot to program it)

Take off (approx 4 minutes into the video )- I could of pushed the motor just a bit more. I was close to the ground. I got up to about 10 feet and tested the left, right , brake, etc.. Everything was dead on thanks to very detailed setup instructions.

At 5 minutes in the video ( we were flying in formation).

I'm used to flying a dual skin -- so excuse the botched landing I was too high at first and then tried to go around -- downwind and missed my brake cue My Stunt 3 with my Trike comes down a lot faster. The Free just floats.

More videos and pictures to come.

We flew the Opale Hybrid, Oxy 1 and the Hacker RC-Free.

RC PARAGLIDER HYBRID 1.8, OXY 1.0, FREE (9 min 26 sec)
Last edited by Charlescd; Aug 18, 2015 at 09:04 PM.