New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 09, 2012, 04:12 PM
Find More Posts by bwoollia
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined May 2008
3,779 Posts
Mini-Review
Top R/C Hobby GeeBee R3R

New project! I think this is the first non-military style foamy that I have done, and the first plane from Top R/C Hobby.

I got the PNP kit, which was $129.99 from SN Hobbies. There is also a RTF model for $179.

This is an EPO foam model. Construction is a bit unusual in that the wing is essentially held in place with flying wires. If this were a conventional foamy, the wings would fold after the first fast pass - there is no spar, just a small plywood alignment connector. The wing halves are glued together with the included contact cement. The gear legs simply slide into place in the wings - no solid attachment. Once the wires are all attached, the wings and gear are very solid.

However, once together the model is as solid as any other foamy model. The wings and gear legs attach to the fuselage with spring loaded flying wires. There are plastic hooks on the wings, fuselage and gear legs that loops at the end of the wires attach to. There are five different lengths of wires in the package, I found it helped to arrange these before assembling so it made sense which wires went where.

The horizontal stab slides into place in the fuselage, screws connect the fuselage to a plywood tab on the stabilizer. The rudder hinge is really cool - the hingeline is hidden and looks very realistic. Simply snap the rudder into place once the horizontal stabilizer is in place.

The motor in the kit is a blue wonder style 750kv outrunner. It comes attached to the propeller and spinner, 30A ESC already attached. Push the ESC and servo lead into the fuselage, insert the motor into the mount and tighten the screw. It's probably a good idea to run up the motor before heading out to the field, the spinner on mine was a bit off centre and had to be fixed. I unmounted the motor and removed the two screws on the spinner backplate, rotated the spinner 180 degrees and reattached the spinner. After that, the motor turns smoothly.

I have yet to fly the model, I haven't even run it up to see how many watts are produced. The tail is very long and I'm expecting it to be quite stable. I have a video of what's in the box, I'll try to get some photos up over the next few days.

Some more specs:

Wing Span: 1200mm/47.24in
Length: 1140mm/44.46in
Weight: 1150g

SN Hobbies - Top R/C Hobbies GeeBee R3R Fantasy Racer: What's in the Box (6 min 49 sec)
bwoollia is offline Find More Posts by bwoollia
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Crash Compilation
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 10, 2012, 06:52 AM
Find More Posts by RogueTitan
Foam Av8r
In Teh Garage (Rossville, GA. USA)
Joined Sep 2008
3,351 Posts
Nice looking FR

is it EPP or polystyrene?
RogueTitan is offline Find More Posts by RogueTitan
Old Apr 10, 2012, 10:32 AM
Joined May 2008
3,779 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueTitan View Post
Nice looking FR

is it EPP or polystyrene?
It's EPO - not sure of any further distinction. It's very smooth - almost difficult to see the foam texture, especially on the unpainted white.
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 10, 2012, 12:36 PM
Find More Posts by RogueTitan
Foam Av8r
In Teh Garage (Rossville, GA. USA)
Joined Sep 2008
3,351 Posts
I got a ZD fly FR but seeing this model I wish I would have waited now
Oh well, I was going to build one from Rem1973's plans which is probably what I will do if I ever total this one.
I know I can build one much lighter and just as strong as the ZD fly model I have now.

anyway the manufacturers did an excellent job producing this model and should be a good seller with the ARF/RTF guys who are fans of the FR
RogueTitan is offline Find More Posts by RogueTitan
Old Apr 10, 2012, 06:11 PM
Joined May 2008
3,779 Posts
Here are some photos. I've taken some shots of the wire attachment points to illustrate how the model is held together. They definitely provide the lion's share of the strength, if you press the wings to simulate "G" forces, the springs will stretch slightly. Very nice. Also, be sure to check out the rudder hingeline - very cool. The airflow to the motor isn't all that great, although some air will be forced indirectly onto the motor bell. You could probably drill some holes in the front to let more air through if needed.

Cool Looking Plane!

Not much cooling air, although some will be forced in behind the spinner directly onto the motor.

Wire attachment to the gear leg.

Wire attachment to the wing, you can see the springs here.

Rudder - see the hidden hinge?

Coolness.

More coolness.

Wire attachment to the fuselage.

Wire layout underneath, servo covers.

Wire attachment to the mid under wing, battery hatch detail.
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 11, 2012, 04:14 AM
Find More Posts by Watlika
Joined Apr 2012
5 Posts
It's very smooth - almost difficult to see the foam texture, especially on the unpainted white.
Watlika is offline Find More Posts by Watlika
Old Apr 28, 2012, 10:53 AM
Joined May 2008
3,779 Posts
Here's the flight video. I'll write down my thoughts later!

SN Hobbies - Gee Bee R3 Fantasy Racer Maiden Flight (6 min 58 sec)
Site Sponsor
Old May 01, 2012, 03:51 AM
Find More Posts by Martijn666
resU deretsigeR
Harderwijk, The Netherlands
Joined Aug 2008
34 Posts
It looks like a larger version of the HobbyKing R3. I've seen the Brian's YouTube video review and it is identical. The only differences are: 2 blade prop, wings are in 2 halves.

I've been scourging the web to find parts for my mini GeeBee R3, and I think that the manufacturer of this one might have the spares I need (landing gear and tie wires)
Martijn666 is offline Find More Posts by Martijn666
Old May 09, 2012, 10:23 PM
Joined May 2008
3,779 Posts
Here's another video by Ronin:

TopRC Gee Bee R3R Flight test (4 min 53 sec)
Site Sponsor
Old May 20, 2012, 10:05 PM
Find More Posts by kelly2508080132
Joined May 2012
60 Posts
Polystyrene is one of the commonest plastics in use today. EPS is used to make packaging for delicate items, as its foam structure absorbs energy, making it impact resistant. Because of this, EPS also finds use in safety equipment such as cycle helmets and infant car seats. Because of its good insulating properties, EPS is used for food and beverage containers, especially for hot items, as well as in coolers and as building insulation.

EPP is used in similar applications as EPS, including packing material, insulation and safety gear. EPP can be used to make microwaveable food containers and is heat resistant. EPP is more elastic and less brittle than EPS, which is easily dented permanently, while EPP springs back into shape. EPS tends to crack, snap or crumble under stress, making it unsuitable for items that must withstand multiple impacts such as automotive bumpers. EPP, on the other hand, is used extensively in the automobile industry. Unlike EPS, EPP can be used for furnishings. It is more fire resistant than EPS and can be used for exposed surfaces, whereas EPS building insulation must be covered with Sheetrock or a similar nonflammable material.

more details you can visit http://www.ehow.com/info_12225740_eps-vs-epp-foam.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoollia View Post
It's EPO - not sure of any further distinction. It's very smooth - almost difficult to see the foam texture, especially on the unpainted white.
kelly2508080132 is offline Find More Posts by kelly2508080132
Old May 21, 2012, 02:43 PM
Find More Posts by GBR2
Stress Be Gone
Snohomish, WA
Joined May 2000
3,423 Posts
So is the wing removable for transport or does the model essentially stay all together once assembled?
GBR2 is offline Find More Posts by GBR2
Old May 21, 2012, 05:19 PM
Joined May 2008
3,779 Posts
You can easily remove it by undoing all of the wires. This should only take a couple of minutes.
Site Sponsor
Old May 22, 2012, 04:44 PM
Find More Posts by TonyTypeS
United States, CA, Baldwin Park
Joined Jun 2004
2,538 Posts
I just got my Geebee and it's a very nice kit. Finish and build quality is very good for a foamie Was a little worried since the wing doesn't have any middle spar to hold the 2 halves together but after the glue has cured it seems to be strong enough. Can't wait to fly mines tomorrow.
TonyTypeS is offline Find More Posts by TonyTypeS
Old May 22, 2012, 09:52 PM
Joined May 2008
3,779 Posts
Yeah, I don't think any strength comes from the little joiner - I wouldn't call it a spar. The wings are super strong because of those wires!
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 02, 2012, 09:03 PM
Find More Posts by emeraldc
west coast flyer
Joined May 2012
357 Posts
I think I'm going to get this one, how did the maiden flight go? The flight & review on "Brians rc corner" looked good. Any comments before I pull the trigger on this one?
emeraldc is offline Find More Posts by emeraldc