New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 22, 2015, 09:28 AM
Find More Posts by jtalley10
Warbird Willie
United States, AZ, Sierra Vista
Joined Jul 2012
288 Posts
Free

I was given a crashed FMS 1700mm P-47 yesterday, the Silver version. Don't know what version it is but is probably a couple years old. Needs a left wing, tail wheel retract, decals , and hatch. It has the nice cockpit in it. Ordered the parts from Diamond, with the sale was $108. I have several of the 1400mm birds, my favorite of course being the Gunfighter V7, been flying it for a couple years. Looking forward to flying this big bird and having some fun. Any advice or suggestions are welcome.

Jim
jtalley10 is offline Find More Posts by jtalley10
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 23, 2015, 10:33 PM
Find More Posts by RiBell
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Jan 2003
5,031 Posts
Flew the maiden flight on my P-47 today. It's a nice smooth flying airplane.
Now it's just watch the timer closely for the next flight to get a feel for flight times. It's looking like I should be able to set an 8 or 9 min timer with the 5500 packs.
Rick
RiBell is online now Find More Posts by RiBell
Old Jun 25, 2015, 02:00 AM
Find More Posts by apmech1
Joined Jul 2013
12 Posts
I have a v1 and my wings are creased from flexing. I was wondering if anyone has put v2 wings on a v1 fuselage. And if so, is there any modding that has to be done? Thanks.
apmech1 is offline Find More Posts by apmech1
Old Jun 25, 2015, 01:50 PM
Find More Posts by reno4sure
Joined May 2011
543 Posts
Is there a listing of the differences between v1 and v2. I did not see anything listed on the vendor pages, but I could have missed it. I purchased one in May and thought it would have the metal motor plate included but it does not. I ordered the metal motor plate seperately as I do not want to relive what happened to my Corsair. My plane does have the gold 300kv motor but I will swap it out with a 360kv after a few test flights just as I have my P-51 and Corsair. I am also converting mine to a razorback just as I did my TF P-47. I'm waiting on a razorback canopy to get back in stock to proceed with the build. Anxious to get it flying!

Reno
reno4sure is offline Find More Posts by reno4sure
Old Jun 25, 2015, 10:16 PM
Find More Posts by Mitchie
Canada, QC, Gatineau
Joined Jan 2011
2,161 Posts
If I recall correctly, I stuffed a longer cf rod through the existing one quite a bit further. I think the mods were posted early in the thread. As well as the retracts are better.
Mitchie is offline Find More Posts by Mitchie
Old Jun 26, 2015, 05:21 AM
Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
what goes up, must come down..
Joined May 2010
3,403 Posts
Maximum voltage for servos/retracts

Just a local neighbourhood info sharing...

I have the 1700mm P51 and I'm running an opto esc and it's been bugging me not knowing what the max voltage the servos/retracts will tolerate.
Earlier I had asked the question in the P51 thread and general consensus seemed to be that a 6 volt nimh receiver batt should be ok.
I discovered that the higher voltage (upwards of 7 volts fully charged) threw the sequencer out of wack, so I dropped down to a 4.8v nimh.

I decided to email FMS and ask the the question directly, their answer is 5 volt nominal, 6 volt maximum.

I hope this clears up any doubt anyone else might have... I'm probably the only one here who runs an independant power supply to my receiver... healthy habits from ye olde IC days...

At ease Gentlemen, as you were...

Cheers!
AussieHoppy is online now Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
Old Jul 28, 2015, 07:12 PM
Find More Posts by axerhand1976
Joined Jan 2014
275 Posts
hello people.. can someone help me . before I buy this bad boy I need to know if it will fly with stock motor ? I live at 5500 feet elevation. can some one tell me what kind of watts and amps wot( give ur location or elevation)would be very helpful in my decision to buy..... thx glenn
axerhand1976 is online now Find More Posts by axerhand1976
Old Jul 29, 2015, 10:17 PM
Find More Posts by FlyingGolem
Subsurface flying expert
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Oct 2012
287 Posts
axerhand1976, I no longer have mine but I was flying both the 270KV and 300KV motors at 4500 ft elevation with no problems. Stable cruising was achieved at about 50% throttle on the 270KV and a little less with the 300KV. I didn't record the consumption numbers but they were well within the tolerance for the stock ESC.
FlyingGolem is online now Find More Posts by FlyingGolem
Old Jul 30, 2015, 03:29 PM
Find More Posts by GringoTuerto
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Nov 2013
226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by axerhand1976 View Post
hello people.. can someone help me . before I buy this bad boy I need to know if it will fly with stock motor ? I live at 5500 feet elevation. can some one tell me what kind of watts and amps wot( give ur location or elevation)would be very helpful in my decision to buy..... thx glenn
There are some measures of the 300kv and 360kv motors over on the 1700mm P-51 forum, at this location:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=9897

I think the problem is not "will it fly" but "will it fly fast enough." The wing loading on these big foamies is very light. It is amazing how slowly they can crawl down the runway without stalling. I'm sure you would have no trouble maneuvering around even at 5500 foot elevation. But at the other end of the spectrum, they are also not super impressive in a high-speed pass. People put a lot of effort into raising the power just because they get a bit boring after you've mastered them. I think that is more a concern (or would be a concern after you've flown it a few times).
GringoTuerto is offline Find More Posts by GringoTuerto
Old Jul 30, 2015, 09:06 PM
Find More Posts by axerhand1976
Joined Jan 2014
275 Posts
thx flyingGolem... its seem like most of the planes i buy i have to change motors...i have 3 dynam planes(1200mm) had to change all 3 motors . the stock 500kv motors i was only getting 340 watts(rrl low) changed them out for a 640kv now i have 550 watts .... i try to get atleast 120 watts/lb...
axerhand1976 is online now Find More Posts by axerhand1976