New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 31, 2015, 08:54 PM
Find More Posts by Mr.Runster
Slopin' All Day
United States, AZ, Flagstaff
Joined Jan 2015
90 Posts
I am working on building a set of 2-meter fiberglass wings that I plan on using on the Phoenix to test. Here is a link to follow my build. I've only just started. Here is the link http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2492361
Mr.Runster is online now Find More Posts by Mr.Runster
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 01, 2015, 06:35 AM
Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
Spain, Principado de Asturias, Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Runster View Post
I am working on building a set of 2-meter fiberglass wings that I plan on using on the Phoenix to test. Here is a link to follow my build. I've only just started. Here is the link http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2492361
Nice.. what airfoil did you picked?

Do you plan to add horten style winglets?
JLT_GTI is online now Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
Old Sep 01, 2015, 11:27 AM
Slopin' All Day
Joined Jan 2015
90 Posts
I looked for the airfoil on this site: http://m-selig.ae.illinois.edu/ads/coord_database.html and chose the one titled FX 77-080. It's thin and symmetrical, just what I was looking for. I adjusted the root chord to match the Phoenix and made the tip chord smaller, but kept the same width as the root. I was thinking about how to add some little winglets because the ones on the stock wings look so nice, but I would either have to buy some ready-made ones meant for a different glider, or carve out ones from the extra foam I have for a perfect fit. I might try out different wings, like one with no dihedral at all, like the stock wing, and an even longer one with polyhedral, like the wood ones someone else in this thread made.
Old Sep 01, 2015, 11:36 PM
Find More Posts by Grantham Kid
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
Australia, QLD, Grantham
Joined Oct 2012
3,667 Posts
Those tips on the stock wing ARE your dihedral. Building a wing for the P without any dihedral would make it a very uncomfortable beast to fly.
Most aircraft NEED dihedral. It assists stability and self levelling. But give it a go.
My next move when I can devote myself to it is to build a T-Tail about 1/2 the thickness of the stock one. I believe that will make a huge difference to the performance. Thick foam flying surfaces are real draggy. I hate 'em.
Grantham Kid is online now Find More Posts by Grantham Kid
Old Sep 01, 2015, 11:49 PM
Slopin' All Day
Joined Jan 2015
90 Posts
I was also planning on making a T-Tail! But only because they look cooler. Other than being thinner than the stock one, how would that design help it's performance? And do those little wing tips really help with stability that much? I saw a video of someone flying the Phoenix on a beach ( so it might have been speedsterDEN's vid) where he crashed and one tip broke off, he wanted to keep flying so he just broke off the other tip. It seemed to fly fine and I think he commented about the performance not changing that much.

I really love the flat wing look. It looks real sharp. So I will make some winglets for it then, just little ones like on the stock wing.
Old Yesterday, 03:01 AM
Joined Jun 2010
2,745 Posts
My SIG Ninja comes by design with 5cm dihedral total (thats it if you put the wing in a flat table with one semiwing flat against the table the other wingtip would be 5cm high in the air) .. and i reduced it during building to 2cm..and i love it.. its not hard to fly.. not as relaxed as dihedral or the Phoenix but rolls really fast and does invertedes nice

tought i have to say that the Phoenix does inverteds pretty nice too ... unless you are like me and fogett you had both your rudder-aileron and camber mixes on before going inverted
Old Yesterday, 11:59 AM
Slopin' All Day
Joined Jan 2015
90 Posts
Really? My Phoenix has a very hard time flying inverted. Do you have snapflaps to help? My plane loses speed and altitude quickly when inverted.
Old Yesterday, 12:17 PM
Joined Jun 2010
2,745 Posts
Quote:
Really? My Phoenix has a very hard time flying inverted. Do you have snapflaps to help? My plane loses speed and altitude quickly when inverted.
mine flies fine inverted as long as it has a minimun speed and not using the rudder (rudder is inverted upside down unlike ailerons so its a bit messy to use it) but will drop eventually unless plenty of lift in the slope..

i tried snapflaps for inverted but didnt helped at all (mind you im using only inner flaps for snapflap)
Old Yesterday, 03:24 PM
Find More Posts by crosstrim
"Rocket Scientist"
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Feb 2008
425 Posts
Quote:
Snapflaps follow the elevator, so depending on the programming may not help that much for sustained inverted flight. If you are going to fly around inverted for a while then reflex may be a better choice. Program a few degrees of up flap & up aileron and assign it to a switch. Just remember to turn it off when you return to normal flight. If your radio supports it, put it on a rotary or a slider, and you can try different amounts while still airborne.

ct
crosstrim is online now Find More Posts by crosstrim
Old Yesterday, 09:40 PM
Find More Posts by BilleFly
Joined Dec 2010
476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosstrim View Post
If you are going to fly around inverted for a while then reflex may be a better choice. Program a few degrees of up flap & up aileron and assign it to a switch.

ct
SO Cool ; somebody that Knows how this stuff works !!!!

If you program the reflex, in just the flap , (not the aileron) ; it will
work like a twisted wing when inverted , and add More stability ,
(but slow it down) by just a tad .

Any increase in stability ; also adds Drag.

After Ya get good at flying inverted , then add the reflex to
the aileron as well , but over-all, not as much reflex , (you will go Faster) .

Bille
BilleFly is offline Find More Posts by BilleFly