New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 18, 2015, 02:32 PM
Find More Posts by mrforsyth
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
9,390 Posts
...and there's the likely culprit. Many (if not most) cell checkers are notoriously inaccurate and should not be relied upon to make decisions regarding charger accuracy or precision.

Try again with a DMM and report back. Also, what individual cell voltages does the charger report at charge completion? You can place the charger in 'monitor' mode to ascertain this.
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 18, 2015, 05:21 PM
Find More Posts by Suko
United States, WA, Mukilteo
Joined Apr 2013
1,737 Posts
The charger would show 4.2,4.2,4.19 or something like that.

I normally would agree about not relying in a cell checker like I mentioned, but in the 4 years I've been using these things,only recently have the batteries been coming out odd on the balance when I check it on the cell checker.

If you think the battery is balanced if the charger says so, then I'll take your word at that and let it be. I just thought it was weird that only now does my cell checker not show it as balanced.
Suko is offline Find More Posts by Suko
Old Sep 18, 2015, 06:20 PM
Find More Posts by mrforsyth
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
9,390 Posts
Without verifying with a DMM, it's honestly impossible to know whether the charger or the cell checker is telling the truth. It's very rare but it's possible that your charger balance calibration may have drifted over time.

To know for sure, simply fabricate a .100" spacing probe from an old servo lead, balance socket, etc., attach to a DMM, and then insert into each set of contacts in the pack and record voltage.

Even a cheap $5 DMM is adequate for the purposes of determining relative cell-to-cell balance precision. If you want to know absolute voltage accuracy, you'll need a DMM that has been validated against a known voltage reference.

An illustration:

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 18, 2015, 06:27 PM
Find More Posts by mareklew
How does it work? How did it?
Germany, BY, ERH
Joined Mar 2009
1,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suko View Post
If you think the battery is balanced if the charger says so, then I'll take your word at that and let it be. I just thought it was weird that only now does my cell checker not show it as balanced.
I would neither trust the charger, not the checker. In both cases it is so, that the measurement circuitry is separate for each cell. You can't tell, which set is good. You need to use ONE measurement circuit to check each cell in sequence. It's best to use a voltmeter (a digital multimeter would be best).

mind it: the meter needs not be really accurate (calibrated), because you only want to compare cell voltages right now, but the meter should have at least 0.01V resolution (most do).
Regards,
Marek
mareklew is offline Find More Posts by mareklew
Old Sep 19, 2015, 10:07 AM
Find More Posts by Martin7182
Wallop!
Bussum, Netherlands
Joined Oct 2009
1,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suko View Post
I did a balance charge at 1amp and it still came out not very well balanced. Is this what you were suggesting?
Yes, but preferably even a lower current, say 0.3A. I have a faulty 3s lipo which has one good cell and two cells that don't hold their charge very well. If I balance charge this lipo at 1A then the good cell ends up at ~4.35V and the bad cells at exactly 4.20V. But if I charge at 0.3A then all cells are eventually 4.20V. So it seems that it also depends on the lipo quality.
Btw, I don't really like the way these 4-button chargers work. Like Bruce Simpson explained above on YouTube, the highest cell is overcharged slightly and then discharged to 4.20V while the other cells are not discharged. This should bring all cells to 4.20V. But it brings 1 of my bad lipo cells to a dangerous 4.35V

I don't understand why a balance charger doesn't start with discharging instead of charging. So discharging all cells that are higher than the lowest cell until they're all equal, followed by charging all cells until the first cell hits 4.20V. If you repeat this long enough then all cells should end in 4.20V without the danger of overcharging. It would be a lot quicker too.

Martin
Martin7182 is offline Find More Posts by Martin7182
Old Dec 04, 2015, 09:44 AM
Find More Posts by Add1ct3dd
United Kingdom, England, Worcester
Joined May 2010
5,759 Posts
Hey guys, picked a few up in the sale (the HV 50W one).

Got one where on startup after about 3 seconds it says "Ext. Temp Too Hi" and won't seem to do anything - anyone know if you can fix it? I dug out my temp sensor from routing through boxes of my old stuff, but that doesn't help either, any ideas? Could I possibly flash it, or is it a known/common problem? Have another on the way, but would like to fix if possible, seems a waste otherwise.
Add1ct3dd is offline Find More Posts by Add1ct3dd
Old Dec 04, 2015, 11:20 AM
Find More Posts by AntiZen
United Kingdom, Banbury
Joined Apr 2010
388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Add1ct3dd View Post
Hey guys, picked a few up in the sale (the HV 50W one).

Got one where on startup after about 3 seconds it says "Ext. Temp Too Hi" and won't seem to do anything - anyone know if you can fix it? I dug out my temp sensor from routing through boxes of my old stuff, but that doesn't help either, any ideas? Could I possibly flash it, or is it a known/common problem? Have another on the way, but would like to fix if possible, seems a waste otherwise.
LOL bad batch, I have same issue on the latest 50w 6A version.
The ones so cheap on HK black friday sales.
Thing is at the price I payed I'm not sure its worth returning.

Oh, you cannot flash it, I opened mine and I could not find ISP header, there is no info on 6A version flashing online only 5A version.
AntiZen is offline Find More Posts by AntiZen
Old Dec 04, 2015, 11:34 AM
Find More Posts by Add1ct3dd
United Kingdom, England, Worcester
Joined May 2010
5,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiZen View Post
LOL bad batch, I have same issue on the latest 50w 6A version.
The ones so cheap on HK black friday sales.
Thing is at the price I payed I'm not sure its worth returning.

Oh, you cannot flash it, I opened mine and I could not find ISP header, there is no info on 6A version flashing online only 5A version.
I got 6 (8 total in order, only 1 DoA) so it's fine and a successful RMA with this one, you can definitely RMA it - I have another coming from EU Warehouse

If in doubt contact HobbyKingCSNYC on here - Rob sorts all my issues super quick, saves going to support and having to deal with any textbook answers.
Add1ct3dd is offline Find More Posts by Add1ct3dd
Old Dec 21, 2015, 01:04 PM
Find More Posts by Tire Chunker
Joined Dec 2008
2 Posts
Guys I have 3 of these chargers and all have worked great for years, but now two of the chargers will show a battery that needs to be recharged at 4.20v and the balance show the cell at 3.9 as the battery need to be charge.

The charger will run for a couple minutes showing 4.2 charging at .1 amps.

Any fix or are the chargers broken and showing the voltage at a full 4.2 on batteries than need to be charged after running a race.

The charger will show 8.4v for 2s when the charger shows 7.9 ect on the individual cells show it needs to be charged.

Basicall the charges says a battery that has just run a race and needs to be recharged show the battery as full and will charge fir a mi ute at low amps then beep that the battery is full.

Thanks

Tom
Tire Chunker is offline Find More Posts by Tire Chunker
Last edited by Tire Chunker; Dec 21, 2015 at 01:11 PM. Reason: edut
Old Dec 21, 2015, 02:55 PM
Find More Posts by Martin7182
Wallop!
Bussum, Netherlands
Joined Oct 2009
1,054 Posts
Hi Tom, are you sure you don't have a bad lipo with high internal resistance? Afaik the charger doesn't use a 4.20V reference voltage, but simply measures the lipo cells and switches off at 4.20V. So likely the 4.20V comes from your lipo itself. Of course the measuring circuit could be defective, but suddenly at two of your chargers?

Oh and welcome to RCG btw, I hope you'll find useful information here

Martin
Martin7182 is offline Find More Posts by Martin7182
Old Dec 21, 2015, 05:30 PM
Find More Posts by Tire Chunker
Joined Dec 2008
2 Posts
Thd batteries charge perfectly on the third exact charger and my Venom charger.

Sounds like the chargers are broken as when the voltage shows the lower number on the idivudual cells example 8.2v but the total shiw 8.4 and wont charge.

Sounds like the voltage meter is shot.

The problem hspoens with all batteries, the batteries are goid and are raced every two weeks with low internal resistance.

The fist chsrger msy have had issues a few weeks ago as when racing a battery went dead, saw the charger was not charging, now a few weeks later another is doing the same thing with all batteries 1s and 2s.
Tire Chunker is offline Find More Posts by Tire Chunker
Last edited by Tire Chunker; Dec 21, 2015 at 05:33 PM. Reason: edit
Old Dec 22, 2015, 05:49 AM
Find More Posts by al5mith
Joined Aug 2015
2 Posts
There's plenty of help for repairs-
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=re...l+6&gws_rd=ssl
(it's just finding the right one!)
al5mith is offline Find More Posts by al5mith
Old Dec 22, 2015, 02:00 PM
Find More Posts by panzercreation
TSHobbies
Georgia
Joined Jun 2010
632 Posts
for power supplies, I bought 2 of these off Amazon. I needed one for my XCharger and one for the Turnigy.. the plug fits the charger DC port just fine and works great. Someone had thought the problem with the Turnigy being stuck at 0.0A might be the PS ,but its not..have both my chargers running using this PS and the Xcharger is working just fine, while the A6 is still stuck at 0.0A during balance ..anyway,heres the link for the PS..got them for just over $6 each with free shipping
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=new
panzercreation is online now Find More Posts by panzercreation
Old Dec 23, 2015, 12:32 AM
Find More Posts by Suko
United States, WA, Mukilteo
Joined Apr 2013
1,737 Posts
Damn. I wish I got that. I bought the $14 from HK and it's a great adapter, except that built-in fan is constantly running when plugged in. It drives me nuts since I generally leave my chargers constantly plugged in (no batteries connected of course).
Suko is offline Find More Posts by Suko
Old Dec 23, 2015, 09:38 AM
Find More Posts by al5mith
Joined Aug 2015
2 Posts
I got a 10A psu from ebay at a good price- check the price for other new ones (newark, ebay etc)
9 UK pounds here
(XP POWER Open Frame Power Supply Adjustable Fixed Input 100-240v Output 12v 10A)
al5mith is offline Find More Posts by al5mith