Old Dec 30, 2008, 12:53 PM
If it flies I like it.
Madison, AL
Joined Sep 2004
467 Posts
Discussion
Cherokee II construction and completed model photos

Folks,

Just completed my Cherokee II, designed by David Smith. For anyone interested in photos of the construction and finished bird, go to http://picasaweb.google.com/lakralc

Al Clark
HotdogX is offline Find More Posts by HotdogX
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2008, 02:05 PM
Seaside Heights, New Jersey
Joined Dec 2008
17 Posts
Very nice work, Al.

Two questions:
1. Did you build your Cherokee from the Dave Smith plans? I am planning to build mine from Dave's plans.
2. Is that MonoKote?

-FatCity
FatCity is offline Find More Posts by FatCity
Old Dec 30, 2008, 03:19 PM
If it flies I like it.
Madison, AL
Joined Sep 2004
467 Posts
FatCity,

Yes, I used the Dave Smith plans and the TMRC short kit. The kit had the ribs and some formers cut, but it's not really much more work to go straight from the plans. If I had to do it over, I'd just go straight off the plans. The plans are good, but they are for experienced builders and don't show some details. For example, the ribs are not shown for the fin and rudder, so I drew my own to use as templates. I haven't test flown mine yet, but expect it to fly well. It came out very light at 6.5 lbs, which gives an 11.7 oz/sq ft wing loading - very low for 1/4 scale.

Al
Old Dec 30, 2008, 03:29 PM
If it flies I like it.
Madison, AL
Joined Sep 2004
467 Posts
FatCity,

Sorry, forgot to answer your question on the covering. I used Ultracote. Their cream color is a very close match to the Polytone dope Daytona White color used on Tony Condon's Cherokee II that I modeled mine after. Originally I was going to use Supershrink Coverite fabric and paint, but when I looked up the price of the Polytone paint, I changed my mind! Also, painting a large model without a paint booth is a hard to do. My experience here is that the bugs really love the white colors and it's darn near impossible to get a coat sprayed on without getting bugs in it when you paint outdoors. So, I went the film covering route. I prefer Ultracote these days because it doesn't seem to wrinkle over time like Monokote does.

Al
Old Dec 30, 2008, 04:48 PM
"Fly"Fisherman
Guntersville, AL
Joined Jun 2004
734 Posts
Absolutely gorgeous HotdogX
Rumor is I may get to tow it, at least until he finishes his BTE Flying King towplane that's on the bench now.
Hotdog X is the author of a recent (among others) article in Model Aviation about one of his electric twin designs, "Two Small" I think it is. Looks like he'll be the first aerotow candidate in NA for my "Drag Queen". Hey, Hotdog, how about a 33% KA-6 for your next project?
Way to go and best of luck with her.
Asher
Asher Carmichael is offline Find More Posts by Asher Carmichael
Old Dec 30, 2008, 05:18 PM
If it flies I like it.
Madison, AL
Joined Sep 2004
467 Posts
Thanks, Asher, for the kind words! Yes, indeed, you will be the first to tow her. That Drag Queen might tear the wings off the 6.5 lb Cherokee II!

33% KA-6, eh? That's awfully big for my car. I do have a soft spot for the KA-6, as it is one of the full scale gliders I used to fly in the late 1970's. We'll see...

Al
Old Dec 30, 2008, 07:10 PM
Joined Dec 2008
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotdogX
FatCity,

...the ribs are not shown for the fin and rudder, so I drew my own to use as templates.

Al
Al,

I received an email from David Smith and he seems conscientious about the plans being complete and accurate. I wonder if he is aware of the fin and rudder airfoil not being included.

Also, should I draw the fin and rudder ribs freehand, as I assume you did?

-Tom Finelli
Seaside Heights, NJ
Old Dec 30, 2008, 07:35 PM
If it flies I like it.
Madison, AL
Joined Sep 2004
467 Posts
Tom,

I drew my fin and rudder ribs with AutoCAD. I can send you a PDF file of them if you PM me your e-mail address.

Al
Old Dec 30, 2008, 07:46 PM
If it flies I like it.
Madison, AL
Joined Sep 2004
467 Posts
Cherokee II Fin and Rudder Ribs

Tom,

I decided to convert my AutoCAD to a PDF file and attach it here for you, and any other folks that might want to use it. This is what I used to make my ribs. You might be able to come up with something better, but you're welcome to use this if you like.

Al
Old Dec 30, 2008, 08:14 PM
Joined Dec 2008
17 Posts
Thanks Al, I saved the file!

-Tom
Old Dec 30, 2008, 08:16 PM
If it flies I like it.
Madison, AL
Joined Sep 2004
467 Posts
You're welcome. Glad to help out.

Al
Old Dec 31, 2008, 02:33 AM
Joined Aug 2006
129 Posts
Al,

amazing job! Ive shared the pictures of your model with many of my full scale soaring friends. Very nice work, and as I emailed you, cant wait to see it fly! We ought to get the full scale and model glider together sometime.
tonycondon is offline Find More Posts by tonycondon
Old Dec 31, 2008, 11:42 AM
If it flies I like it.
Madison, AL
Joined Sep 2004
467 Posts
Thanks, Tony! Yes, that would be cool to have the model and full scale in the same photo!

Al
Old Dec 31, 2008, 02:06 PM
Joined Nov 2003
1,323 Posts
Hi Al,
Was your Sopwith Pup from a kit?
Nice models - all of them!
Thanks,
Ray
kostuk is offline Find More Posts by kostuk
Old Jan 01, 2009, 01:14 PM
Nothing like a good WOODIE!
USA, DE, Newark
Joined Jun 2005
1,662 Posts
Al,
Great job on the Cherokee!
Always nice to see another one. I sure would like to build a bigger one someday, just need to spend some time with my cad program to enlarge it. Heres a picture of mine completed from the TMRC short kit.

cooper998
cooper998 is online now Find More Posts by cooper998