HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 10, 2014, 01:11 PM
Canada, BC, Kamloops
Joined Jan 2011
341 Posts
Discussion
MY old TT G200

Hi Guys,
Just breaking into electrics here after many many years of fuel. I have a few builds that I would like to swap over from fuel to ele. Mostly 40-60 size.
Before I switch over my favourite fliers I thought I'd start with one of my AFR.
So where does one begin on determining ele motor size?
Lets start with my TT G200 ARF which has a .46 on it. (was a little shy on performance with that engine) TIA.
(not a pic of mine)
HuskyDude is offline Find More Posts by HuskyDude
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 10, 2014, 11:48 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,840 Posts
Weight the plane ready to fly, including fuel, batteries etc. Multiply the weight in LBS x 150 for spirited performance or 200 for insane.
That's the total watts you need your system to produce without being stressed. Decide next the prop size by measuring max size (dia) you can safely run, and pitch to get airspeed desired.
Most motors can safely handle approx. 4w per gram of motor weight. Divide your total watts by 4 equals a motor weight that can safely deliver the max watts. There's a start! Doug B
Doug Bartley is online now Find More Posts by Doug Bartley
Old Jun 11, 2014, 09:53 AM
Canada, BC, Kamloops
Joined Jan 2011
341 Posts
Thx Doug,
All great information ! I read more and more each day trying to get a handle on all this. But again that surely points me in the right direction.
HuskyDude is offline Find More Posts by HuskyDude
Old Jun 11, 2014, 06:29 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,840 Posts
No problem. Get yourself a "Wattmeter" asap. Its the only practical way to test your systems, ensuring you have all perimeters within safe limits. Always pick an esc rated for the cell count you intend to use, and at least 20% higher capacity than the highest amps you will pull. Most, not all motor have a cell count and max continuous amp draw considered safe. Some are notorious for giving numbers way beyond any reasonable limits, but using the 4w/gr motor gives a safe level for any motor/amp load. It takes a while to understand the limiters in selection, but I find it all part of the challenge. A perfect system is a joy to fly. Doug B
Doug Bartley is online now Find More Posts by Doug Bartley