SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:57 AM
Joined Dec 2012
128 Posts
Help!
LiPo Storage

Hi Forum!

I am new to R/C flying (yesterday i maidened my Apprentice). But now winter is coming here in switzerland which means i wont be flying for like at least 1 month or so. Due to this, I want to storage my LiPo battery and for this I need your help. Here is my setup:

Charger: - Orion Advantage IQ605
Battery: 3S, 11.1V, 3200 mAh, 3 cells, 15C (48 Amp) Maximum Continuous Discharge.

Now i choose the mode LiPo Storage on my Charger and then I'm not sure how to continue. When i charge i can choose more than 1 A, but when i want to store i can only choose between 0.1 - 1 A. So my question is, can i just plug in my battery, choose 1 A, 11,1 V (3S), start my LiPo storage mode, wait till its finished and put it in my LiPo bag until i want to use it again?

Also, is it possible to store more than one battery in one LiPo bag?

Thanks for answering my "newby-questions" and i wish you all a happy new year!

Cheers,
MogA
MogA is offline Find More Posts by MogA
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:00 PM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MogA View Post
Hi Forum!

I am new to R/C flying (yesterday i maidened my Apprentice). But now winter is coming here in switzerland which means i wont be flying for like at least 1 month or so. Due to this, I want to storage my LiPo battery and for this I need your help. Here is my setup:

Charger: - Orion Advantage IQ605
Battery: 3S, 11.1V, 3200 mAh, 3 cells, 15C (48 Amp) Maximum Continuous Discharge.

Now i choose the mode LiPo Storage on my Charger and then I'm not sure how to continue. When i charge i can choose more than 1 A, but when i want to store i can only choose between 0.1 - 1 A. So my question is, can i just plug in my battery, choose 1 A, 11,1 V (3S), start my LiPo storage mode, wait till its finished and put it in my LiPo bag until i want to use it again?

Also, is it possible to store more than one battery in one LiPo bag?

Thanks for answering my "newby-questions" and i wish you all a happy new year!

Cheers,
MogA
Pretty much... check the voltages once the storage charge is finished. They should be around ~3.85 volts/cell. If that's the case, pop the battery into the LiPo bag and there it will sit until you're ready to fly again.
Mike_Then is offline Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Thank you, veterans
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:13 PM
Joined Dec 2012
128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Then View Post
Pretty much... check the voltages once the storage charge is finished. They should be around ~3.85 volts/cell. If that's the case, pop the battery into the LiPo bag and there it will sit until you're ready to fly again.
Thank you for your quick response. But the noob i am, this raises another question: How can i check if the voltage is 3.85 volts/cell? Andis it a problem if i store more th an one battery in one bag?
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:22 PM
I hate waiting for parts
Joined Apr 2001
6,966 Posts
Quote:
Thank you for your quick response. But the noob i am, this raises another question: How can i check if the voltage is 3.85 volts/cell? Andis it a problem if i store more th an one battery in one bag?
I'm not familiar with your charger, so can you tell me if it offers a "data" view that shows you individual cell voltages? If not, you could always take the total cell voltage and divide it by 3. That's assuming your charger is a balance charger of course. That's not a definitive way to test but it's better than nothing.

As far as the LiPo bag, I think they are all designed for one battery per bag unless they state otherwise.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:36 PM
Joined Dec 2012
128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Then View Post
I'm not familiar with your charger, so can you tell me if it offers a "data" view that shows you individual cell voltages? If not, you could always take the total cell voltage and divide it by 3. That's assuming your charger is a balance charger of course. That's not a definitive way to test but it's better than nothing.

As far as the LiPo bag, I think they are all designed for one battery per bag unless they state otherwise.
Thanks alot, i think my charger is able to show the voltage per cell (at least thats what i think it states in the manual, see in the picture below). So thanks again for answering my question and I wish you a happy new year.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 02:28 PM
I hate waiting for parts
Joined Apr 2001
6,966 Posts
Quote:
Thanks alot, i think my charger is able to show the voltage per cell (at least thats what i think it states in the manual, see in the picture below). So thanks again for answering my question and I wish you a happy new year.
There ya go! And happy new year to you as well!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2012, 05:12 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Nov 2005
1,951 Posts
Quote:
Yup, you just have to use the balancing tap while charging, and you should be able to scroll through the screens to be able to view it. As I understand it, storage mode should put the pack at about 50% charged (if you have a 'fuel gauge' on your charger), which I guess by what the other poster said is about 3.85v per cell.
fly2bob is offline Find More Posts by fly2bob
Old Jan 01, 2013, 01:03 PM
Joined Dec 2012
128 Posts
So my charger is done now and i have 3.89, 3,88 and 3,89 V in the three cells, i hope this is good for the storage, or does it have to be exactly 3,85 V / cell?
Old Jan 01, 2013, 01:16 PM
The 6 P principle works for me
Ventura CA
Joined Aug 2007
977 Posts
Quote:
So my charger is done now and i have 3.89, 3,88 and 3,89 V in the three cells, i hope this is good for the storage, or does it have to be exactly 3,85 V / cell?
Those numbers are just fine for storage! Happy Holiday! Michael
elecfryer is offline Find More Posts by elecfryer
Old Jan 01, 2013, 04:59 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Nov 2005
1,951 Posts
Between 50%-70% is fine.
fly2bob is offline Find More Posts by fly2bob