HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 30, 2012, 03:47 PM
Sweden, Västra Götaland, Partille
Joined May 2009
493 Posts
Discussion
Airhogs UAV NOW LESS THAN 1/2 price at ARGOS.UK

Just got my first 2 Airhogs 2-channel planes! (have 10 or so Silverlits)
Ended up in UK with 25 Pounds in the wallet...
Emptied the wallet at a Argos shop, 2 Airhogs UAV at 12.49 pounds each, NICE! EDIT: NOW 9.99!

Anyone out there who's flown them? Like the Zero-speed turning and the design, dislike the range, 30 meters, and the warped wings on the one I "unboxed".

Anyhow, heres a link: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...7C14417875.htm

Lookig forward to testing them.

Tommy
jimjim06 is offline Find More Posts by jimjim06
Last edited by jimjim06; Aug 16, 2012 at 01:11 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2012, 12:02 PM
Joined May 2009
493 Posts
Found a video of the UAV flying, looks OK, if my flies like that, slow and thight turning i'm happy!
Air Hogs Jet Set UAV (4 min 16 sec)

I got 2 black ones, otherwise the same plane.

Tommy
Old Jul 31, 2012, 12:34 PM
Suspended Account
United States, VA, Ashburn
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
I had the black one. Flew like crap, pretty much. Depending on how you launch it it will stay in the air for less than a minute. It took me a month to get used to it and fly a whole charge, and its not even fun. You are constantly fighting to keep it in the air. It loses altitude while turning, and you have to give opposite after a few seconds of turning. You cant make U-turns with it, you have to turn 45 degrees. Also, the radio system sucks. It responds 5 seconds afte you give an input. Worst $30 I ever spent. You should return them. Don't even bother opening iit.
RCAddict16 is offline Find More Posts by RCAddict16
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 31, 2012, 12:37 PM
Ft Lauderdale, FL.
Joined Jan 2007
2,244 Posts
This one took me a while to learn to fly it, pretty much you have to let it fly and just correct it...
Great flat spins though...
Machy2k is offline Find More Posts by Machy2k
Old Jul 31, 2012, 12:53 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machy2k View Post
This one took me a while to learn to fly it, pretty much you have to let it fly and just correct it...
Great flat spins though...
Yeah, that and the durability are pretty much the only good things about this plane. I smacked it into brick walls countless times because it couldn't turn fast enough lol. Since then I have converted it with elevons and a single 3x3 pusher prop, 3000 kv motor, two 5g servos, 5 amp ESC, and a 2S 250. It acually turns into a fun little parkjet.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 01:33 PM
Ft Lauderdale, FL.
Joined Jan 2007
2,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAddict16 View Post
Yeah, that and the durability are pretty much the only good things about this plane. I smacked it into brick walls countless times because it couldn't turn fast enough lol. Since then I have converted it with elevons and a single 3x3 pusher prop, 3000 kv motor, two 5g servos, 5 amp ESC, and a 2S 250. It acually turns into a fun little parkjet.
well we need to see that...
Old Jul 31, 2012, 02:10 PM
Joined May 2009
493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machy2k View Post
well we need to see that...
That would be nice! Saw a comment on Youtube on another AH UAV video about someone who did a mod like that, maybe it was RCAddict16?

Working on a RoRo ship, dying to test my new toy... wonder if the Captain will be happy if I crash into a New Porsche in the cargo hold?
I know it wont harm anything, but he doesnt... Maybe tonight or wait til the cargo is off-loaded.

Tommy
Old Jul 31, 2012, 02:12 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
Nahhh..... sorry its long retired..... too heavy for the airframe.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 02:20 PM
Joined May 2009
493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAddict16 View Post
I had the black one. Flew like crap, pretty much. Depending on how you launch it it will stay in the air for less than a minute. It took me a month to get used to it and fly a whole charge, and its not even fun. You are constantly fighting to keep it in the air. It loses altitude while turning, and you have to give opposite after a few seconds of turning. You cant make U-turns with it, you have to turn 45 degrees. Also, the radio system sucks. It responds 5 seconds afte you give an input. Worst $30 I ever spent. You should return them. Don't even bother opening iit.
Thanks for the input!
At about 20$ I think I will keep them, bet i will get them to fly OK, if not no big deal.

My 2 worst 2-channel toy planes so far is the Silverlit Thunder jet and a strange "TYCO"- bipe wich would launch from a "pistol grip Tx" and after the launch you had to extend the Tx antenna (it blocked the launch when extended), the bipe had a really interesting Tx, but sadly it would fall out of the sky without any warning, pretty plane though.

Also have a 2-ch Superman by MATTEL, new in box, never flew it due to bad reviews, cool looking!

Tommy
Last edited by jimjim06; Jul 31, 2012 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Changed from "MATTEL" to "TYCO"-bipe
Old Jul 31, 2012, 03:32 PM
Ft Lauderdale, FL.
Joined Jan 2007
2,244 Posts
Jim the AH drone is a good flyer man, it is a flat foamy and it is what it is, The Superman (if it is what I think it is) is not bad either.
It's what 2 channels is going to give you and I like my superman....
Petey...
Old Jul 31, 2012, 08:58 PM
Joined May 2009
493 Posts
My Superman is a model of Superman with his cape as wing, 2 motors like the Silverlits/Airhogs but much bigger, at least double size.
Nice to look at and i think Im going to keep it New in Box.

Tommy
(Jim is my son, born 06)
Old Aug 04, 2012, 10:32 AM
Joined May 2009
493 Posts
Less than half price now @ £9.99, (thats about 16$) just my luck.
Might get some more on my trip to England next week.

Tommy
Old Aug 15, 2012, 02:33 PM
Joined May 2009
493 Posts
Flew both my UAVs this week and they are just great!
Slow flights and tight turns if you throttle down during the turns.
My 6 year old son loved his, and could control it without trouble, he even let some of his friends have a go, they now want one each.

Maybe I got lucky, or they are just good flyers. The only drawback is that they wont glide w/o power, they stall and go in to a spin, its actually not only bad, when my kid drifts towards a neighbours garden, he just lets go of the throttle and the UAV will come straight down in a nice spin.

Wish I bought more of them.

Tommy