HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 21, 2012, 12:08 PM
United States, TN
Joined Mar 2011
1,456 Posts
Discussion
Nose Over On Landing - What Causes it?

I have an Apprentice 15e with trike landing gear and 3" wheels. Sometimes even though I get an otherwise great landing on a grass strip at the end of the roll out the plane noses over. What causes this, how can I correct to prevent it?

Thank you.
itsme2 is offline Find More Posts by itsme2
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 21, 2012, 12:25 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,992 Posts
It basically just hits a patch of grass that the wheels can't roll over under no power. No big deal, it happens to the best of planes.
chucksolo69 is online now Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Jun 21, 2012, 02:57 PM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
6,242 Posts
Very simple. Some object stops the wheel. Because of inertia the rest of the airplane keeps moving forward. Because the wheel cannot move, that forward motion causes the airplane to rotate about the wheel's axle. This is the same thing as applying the front brake on a bicycle at high speed. The wheel stops and the rest of the bicycle, including the rider rotates about it. Ouch!

Larry
Lnagel is online now Find More Posts by Lnagel
Old Jun 21, 2012, 03:23 PM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,474 Posts
Are you turning by chance? If not then see posts above.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old Jun 21, 2012, 07:31 PM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Apr 2009
2,645 Posts
Apprentices are great flying planes, but have allot to be desired when on the grass. Big heavy planes have no problem on grass ,but light weight foam planes do not like it. All you can do is hope your field gets cut the day you go out to fly. I loved flying my Apprentice , but landings were always a hassel.

I finally ended up putting floats on it and flying it off the lake.
tacx is offline Find More Posts by tacx
Old Jun 21, 2012, 08:22 PM
Fla.
Joined Apr 2005
986 Posts
Check your nose wheel mount real close, we have been having some problems with the shaft turning and letting the nose wheel turn side ways causing the plane to tip. You may need to file a better flat spot on the shaft and maybe get a better screw setup. You may also want to check the linkage to be sure it isn't flexing . The over sized tires don't help. ENJOY !!! RED
redh is offline Find More Posts by redh
Old Jun 22, 2012, 02:18 PM
United States, OR, Canby
Joined Aug 2011
2,381 Posts
Hold full up elevator until stopped, keep a little power on to lighten the load on the front wheel. Might help depending on the grass.
600Bob is offline Find More Posts by 600Bob
Old Jun 22, 2012, 04:42 PM
Balsa builder and balsa basher
Joined Apr 2012
683 Posts
When landing the plane will naturally roll when the wheel snags a piece on grass and can't roll. You can't change that but you can prevent it by having using up elevator. If you look at some rc landing you see people with up elevator. Hope it kind of helps
RC Trainer plane is offline Find More Posts by RC Trainer plane
Old Jun 22, 2012, 05:06 PM
Glad to be here...
United States, GA, Cleveland
Joined Feb 2012
185 Posts
If I land my Apprentice, and it does a nose over during roll-out, I consider that a good landing.

Last week, someone told me the trick of keeping the elevator up when rolling on the ground. Should help to lighten the nose. I'll be trying that out tomorrow.
MX5Seeker is offline Find More Posts by MX5Seeker
Old Jun 22, 2012, 06:21 PM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
6,242 Posts
The problem is that most nose overs that accur during the roll out happen after the airplane has slowed down to the point where there is not enough airflow over the elevator for it to have any authority.

Larry
Old Jun 22, 2012, 07:17 PM
Glad to be here...
Joined Feb 2012
185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnagel View Post
The problem is that most nose overs that accur during the roll out happen after the airplane has slowed down to the point where there is not enough airflow over the elevator for it to have any authority.

Larry
Good point. But I figure it can't hurt to keep it light as long as I can.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 07:28 PM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
6,242 Posts
Technically, up elevator doesn't make the nose lighter. It makes the tail heavier.

Larry
Old Jun 22, 2012, 07:47 PM
Glad to be here...
Joined Feb 2012
185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnagel View Post
Technically, up elevator doesn't make the nose lighter. It makes the tail heavier.

Larry
OK, and with the rear axels acting as a fulcrum, that would lighten the nose, right?
Old Jun 22, 2012, 07:49 PM
Fla.
Joined Apr 2005
986 Posts
Either way the nose wheel lifts slightly. ENJOY !!! RED
redh is offline Find More Posts by redh
Old Jun 22, 2012, 08:49 PM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
6,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MX5Seeker
OK, and with the rear axels acting as a fulcrum, that would lighten the nose, right?
Wrong. The nose is still the same weight.

There is a forty pound kid on each side of a teeter totter and it is level. Then one kid is replaced by Fat Albert. Fat Albert's end of the teeter totter goes down and the other end goes up. The other end didn't go up because it was made lighter. It still weighs forty pounds. It went up because the Fat Albert end was made heavier. Heh, heh, heh !

Larry