HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 26, 2012, 06:36 PM
gold coast
Joined Jan 2010
135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakchos View Post
Can you guys move the discussion about GPL and copyright to a dedicated thread already !

This thread is about Turnigy 9XR.

NOT about firmware copyright and sh#$%t
I agree..!!
fantomphish is offline Find More Posts by fantomphish
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2012, 06:44 PM
25+ years of RC flying
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,492 Posts
Originally Posted by bakchos
Can you guys move the discussion about GPL and copyright to a dedicated thread already !

This thread is about Turnigy 9XR.

NOT about firmware copyright and sh#$%t

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantomphish View Post
I agree..!!
Me too!!
BigIron357 is online now Find More Posts by BigIron357
Old Dec 26, 2012, 07:07 PM
The connaisseur's connaisseur.
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Dec 2012
8 Posts
Jeremy Clarkson weighs in on the issue.

ArthurNava is offline Find More Posts by ArthurNava
Old Dec 26, 2012, 07:35 PM
If it has wings it will fly...
United Kingdom, England, Birmingham
Joined Mar 2011
1,536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurNava View Post
Jeremy Clarkson weighs in on the issue.

I remember that episode well.. one of the most "informative" and hilarious TG episodes.

the chinese BMW X5 example was better
ckleanth is online now Find More Posts by ckleanth
Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:32 PM
United States, SC, Clemson
Joined Dec 2011
113 Posts
Call me a touch cynical, but the only thing I really see different between this radio and the previous 9x is mechanics and ergonomics. Sure it has nicer gimbals and the programmer port which does add value. But If you are a happy 9x user there really isnt that much of a reason to rush out and get one. I don't see that it does anything different. Am I mistaken?

I am a little disappointed as I was expecting a little innovation. I just see a nicer packaged 9x. Especially since the internals are still a 64k AVR. I would have hopped they would have used a more modern processor with more memory to add features like sd card, more model memories ect. I feel like the internals are already obsolete. Also the requirement for a 3S lipo seems odd. It just concerns me because I can't see why you would need so much voltage capability at such high current levels. a boost converter is cheep and that would have allowed interfacing with 12V modules. (or better yet redesign the modules that require 12V) This product just seems to show a lack of electronic engineering innovation. I would have tried to use 4 AA cells as that adds flexibility. Could use low self-discharge NiMH or household alkaline in a pinch. I dont see why everyone is so ready to rush to lipo? 2200mAh is 2200 mAh whether it is Lipo or Nimh or Life. I dont know .. I am not left with a really good impression.

Am I off base? Does anyone else feel this way? I am on the fence and thinking of waiting to see what frsky offers or what the early adopters have to think. Either way I really like to see someone give a nice unboxing and complete review. Inquiring minds would like to know
redradar is offline Find More Posts by redradar
Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:34 PM
Tassie Electric, Heli, Glider
Hobart, Australia
Joined Oct 2002
2,629 Posts
I will be glad when folk get the 9XR in their mits and we can have relevent comments here and a decent review! Mind you on scanning the HK and Turnigy9XR forums there are even more bashers on those! Seems like folk that have spent loads on fubatas and DX18's are trying to justify their expensive purchases and being locked into closed source moduleless systems?
ChrisJ800 is offline Find More Posts by ChrisJ800
Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:38 PM
Wait...what?
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Sep 2010
1,194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GruntboyX View Post
Call me a touch cynical, but the only thing I really see different between this radio and the previous 9x is mechanics and ergonomics. Sure it has nicer gimbals and the programmer port which does add value. But If you are a happy 9x user there really isnt that much of a reason to rush out and get one. I don't see that it does anything different. Am I mistaken?

Am I off base? Does anyone else feel this way? I am on the fence and thinking of waiting to see what frsky offers or what the early adopters have to think. Either way I really like to see someone give a nice unboxing and complete review. Inquiring minds would like to know
Not off base and I completely agree and I am very much looking forward to the new Frsky offerings as well.

Cheers,
Geoff
gbmarsh is online now Find More Posts by gbmarsh
Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:41 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,963 Posts
I am with you. Only plus I see over the 9X is the possibility of better sticks.

It will mean that the initial curve to go from stock firmware to ER9X has been eliminated, so that is a positive. And future upgrading will be easier since they have already broken out the necessary connections.

But if you want FrSky telemetry you might still be breaking out the soldering iron. Unless they have already freed up the serial lines from the pushbuttons and put a connector in there for us.

Hopefully those 4 "designer" guys on the web site did more than just mug for the camera

They could have done so much more with this with a few simple changes.
Better processor/SD card/scroll wheel/inbuilt programmer would be on my short list of things to consider.

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:59 PM
KC
Registered Loiterer.
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Sep 2006
4,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnigy9xr.com
Supports 3S Lipo (Required)
The above quote from the 9xr site doesn't mean that the 9xr requires 3s to operate. It means the 9xr supports 3s lipo's and the 'Required' means the Tx is not supplied with it.

I do however, agree with gruntboy for most part. The 9xr is a pre modded 9x. It'll be interesting to see if telemetry on screen is an included feature.

KC
KC is offline Find More Posts by KC
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:20 PM
Joined Dec 2011
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJ800 View Post
Seems like folk that have spent loads on fubatas and DX18's are trying to justify their expensive purchases and being locked into closed source moduleless systems?

That is not an apple to apple comparison. A DX18 still does more than a 9XR. It has sliders, glider, heli and acro modes, 30+ model memory with a SD card, a RF link that is warrantied by the manufacture and telemetry. Plus it has more channels. Now I wont argue that the average sport pilot doesn't need a DX18. However I just wanted to point out you are not comparing from a level playing field.

A equivalently packaged 9XR with battery, receiver, satellites, DSM2/X module and shipping. you are going to be in the 135-150 territory.

The 9XR will never do 18 channels because its limited to ppm/pcm protocol. Additionally the 9XR is not going to do anything different that er9x already supports because the hardware is limited to the 64k AVR chosen. it lacks I/O and Mips to do what the next generation of ER9X can provide.

I am just saying its a fine radio, but after waiting for 254 days I am a little let down. We are basically getting the same radio we had last year, but with updated mechanics. Its a fine upgrade but I am hoping someone does a new board to take this radio to the next level. But then you are spending more money on top of the 130 bucks to enter into a 9x and your still going to be hacking on the case to add things like an SD card slot and somehow fitting a module in to take advantage of the internal antenna.

Its still a deal, but not what a 49.99 price tag would initially suggest. I am just saying Its going to be a fine radio, but Its not revolutionary and I don't think its going to significantly change the Industry.

It is making me consider radios like Hitec's Eclipse 7 pro and Futaba's 8J a little more. Radios that I think more accurately compete with a 9XR.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:24 PM
Joined Dec 2002
16,963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GruntboyX View Post

The 9XR will never do 18 channels because its limited to ppm/pcm protocol.
Not quite 18, but there are modules out there that support up to the 16 channels that ER9X can do in PPM mode. XPS is one example.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:30 PM
Joined Feb 2012
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie View Post
They could have done so much more with this with a few simple changes.
Better processor/SD card/scroll wheel/inbuilt programmer would be on my short list of things to consider.
I'm all for innovation, but you're not going to get that and decent quality at $50. I've followed the ER9X and Open9X projects for quite a while but never bought a 9X because I didn't like the lower quality construction and the mods required to update the firmware. HK claims to have addressed these two issues, and they also set up a 9XR website that might end up being a valuable resource for 9XR enthusiasts. We don't yet know if this radio is going to deliver on its promise of higher quality, but if it does, then I think this is a pretty impressive first effort for HK. If it succeeds, I'm sure we'll see additional product releases.
wingz is offline Find More Posts by wingz
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:38 PM
Joined Dec 2002
16,963 Posts
Programmer would add $5, scroll wheel perhaps about the same again.
At least then it would have something to differentiate it from the 9X.

9XR website is pointless, there is already the 9X forums where the real code developers and hardcore users driving development hang out.

Why would they monitor the 9XR web site, unless HK does something to aknowledge them?

I know I won't bother. (I am on the coders list for ER9X , although my role is tiny compared to Mike and Erraz)

Pat MacKenzie
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:41 PM
hjukhjuk
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie View Post
Programmer would add $5, scroll wheel perhaps about the same again.
At least then it would have something to differentiate it from the 9X.

9XR website is pointless, there is already the 9X forums where the real code developers and hardcore users driving development hang out.

Why would they monitor the 9XR web site, unless HK does something to aknowledge them?

I know I won't bother. (I am on the coders list for ER9X , although my role is tiny compared to Mike and Erraz)

Pat MacKenzie
I think it's good they kept the 9XR similar to the original and only added some small improvements. If they changed it too much, you wouldn't have a 9x anymore.
gooby is online now Find More Posts by gooby
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:46 PM
Joined Dec 2011
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovs View Post
I think it's good they kept the 9XR similar to the original and only added some small improvements. If they changed it too much, you wouldn't have a 9x anymore.
True, but the 9x has been out for quite some time already. I think hobby king would have been ok with upgrading the internals even if it was based on ersky9x board. this would have had a code base to mod from and would have added a lot of those features. Without changing to much of the heritage of the 9x, and I dont think it would have impacted cost to much

I think the project was real resource limited. I get the impression this was a radio designed by 4 guys, so I am sure the scope of the project had to reflect the man power available